Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming all miles

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Redeeming all miles

I stupidly churned the MBNA Alaska miles credit card without doing enough due diligence. I've held on to them for about two years without using them.

I don't plan on doing any traveling this year so I'd like to redeem them for something other than traveling - I know traveling is the best redemption, but based on current conditions, I just kind of want to get rid of them.

I did some searching and it doesn't look like I can redeem them for gift cards or anything quick that I can liquidate them.

Any suggestions?
Old May 7, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Hotels and Flights are the fastest way. There are some small time things like magazine subs and what not.

Curious why you don't just bank them?
Old May 7, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Hotels and Flights are the fastest way. There are some small time things like magazine subs and what not.

OP has a second post indicating that they are in YHZ (no direct AS service). This means OP either has to fly seasonal AA flights to LGA/PHL on an award (so limited to AA/AS flights only, and that's pretty brutal to get into the AS network: YHZ-PHL-SEA-XXX at a minimum) or buy a positioning flight to redeem their AS miles. Oops.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, sorry about the double post. New here.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExChurningSub
Yeah, sorry about the double post. New here.
No worries, but you DO actually have AA seasonal service to YHZ that is bookable on AS (in normal times, pandemic scheduling isn't normal). Also, if you wait a bit AS will be joining Oneworld which will possibly mean that you'd be able to mix and match AA and other OW airlines like BA/JL/CX/etc.

I wouldn't be panic liquidating miles assuming everyone's going to go bankrupt, but you do you I guess...
Old May 7, 2020, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I was actually going to make a similar post about British Airlines Avios.

Also stupidly churned that.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's stupid at all, BA Avios on YHZ-NYC/PHL on the seasonal AA flights (assuming they fly and assuming award availability) is actually a good use of miles. My experience is that the Canada-LGA flights do have decent availability on awards.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't think it's stupid at all, BA Avios on YHZ-NYC/PHL on the seasonal AA flights (assuming they fly and assuming award availability) is actually a good use of miles. My experience is that the Canada-LGA flights do have decent availability on awards.
I actually do love going to NYC - so maybe I'll hold on to the BA Avios then. Thanks for the tip!
Old May 7, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Honestly AS is in excellent financial shape compared to other carriers so I wouldn't worry about them going under and you loose all the miles.

However being YHZ based your AS partner options are quite limited.
ExChurningSub likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExChurningSub Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
ExChurningSub needs to investigate ways to earn or use AS ff miles and BA avios to ensure they do not expire due to no eligible activity. Will then have more time to use them for good value

AS
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions
Account and mileage expirationMileage Plan miles do not have an expiration date and may remain in an active account indefinitely, provided that the Mileage Plan program has not been terminated pursuant to these conditions of membership. Activity in an account includes redeeming a Mileage Plan award or accruing mileage in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program. However, notwithstanding any term to the contrary, if a Mileage Plan account is inactive for 2 years, Alaska Airlines may close the account, delete any mileage balance and reassign the Mileage Plan number. Deleted mileage can be reinstated for a fee for up to 1 year.
Mileage Plan Inactivity Policy (The Earn/Burn a Small Number of Miles Thread)

BA
Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition
Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition

British Airways (BA) Executive Club: 3 years (Earn, Redeem, Purchase, Transfer. section 14.4 of T&C)
If no action is taken they will expire.
AS ff miles and BA avios cannot be sold for cash or bartered for cash like items
AS BA & AA are all ff partners now. Next year when AS joins Oneworld will be some more opportunities, but AS is a partner with many OW airlines now.

[OP has hit the 5 post limit for newbies]
pcoll and ExChurningSub like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 7, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 9:48 am

@ExChurningSub: My experience and YMMV. I had AS miles about to expire and would not be able to use them as I saved them for long haul trips with CX. I booked a trip using the miles for a relative to travel in July this year. It turned out to be impossible for her to travel due to covid-19. I cancelled the flights, received my AS miles back into my account immediately and refund of taxes and partner fee received back on credit card a week later. The redemption booking extended my AS miles for another year. The redeposit of miles from cancellation extended my AS miles for another year. Am happy with both as they gave me more time to use the miles when the time comes. Food for thought ...
Old May 8, 2020, 9:33 pm

It's easy to extend the miles.

I would keep them. You can always connect to your intl flight booked with AS miles via purchasing a pair ticket.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax
@ExChurningSub: My experience and YMMV. I had AS miles about to expire and would not be able to use them as I saved them for long haul trips with CX. I booked a trip using the miles for a relative to travel in July this year. It turned out to be impossible for her to travel due to covid-19. I cancelled the flights, received my AS miles back into my account immediately and refund of taxes and partner fee received back on credit card a week later. The redemption booking extended my AS miles for another year. The redeposit of miles from cancellation extended my AS miles for another year. Am happy with both as they gave me more time to use the miles when the time comes. Food for thought ...
AS miles expire after 24 months (2 years) of account inactivity. If you have the Alaska BofA Visa, BofA deposits 1 mile into your account on each anniversary date when the companion certificate is issued. As long as you have the Card, your AS miles will never expire. The same holds true for the MBNA Canadian co-branded Alaska Airlines Mastercard.

James
Old May 9, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS miles expire after 24 months (2 years) of account inactivity. If you have the Alaska BofA Visa, BofA deposits 1 mile into your account on each anniversary date when the companion certificate is issued. As long as you have the Card, your AS miles will never expire. The same holds true for the MBNA Canadian co-branded Alaska Airlines Mastercard.

James
Am in the UK, so no AS affiliated credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.