Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Group reports first quarter results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 7:00 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...sults-covid-19

• Reported net loss for the first quarter of 2020 under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) of $232 million, or $1.87 per diluted share, compared to net income of $4 million, or $0.03 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2019.
  • Reported net loss for the first quarter of 2020, excluding impairment charges, merger-related costs and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $102 million, or $0.82 per diluted share, compared to net income of $21 million or $0.17 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2019.
  • Reported impairment and other related charges of $160 million before tax related to certain aircraft, aircraft parts, and intangible assets.
In terms of capacity:

• Flown capacity in April decreased more than 80% compared to the prior year, and capacity cuts in May will also be at least 80%. We continue to expect capacity cuts in June to be significant.
  • Parked 156 mainline aircraft and 13 Horizon Air aircraft, and suspended flying for 8 SkyWest Airlines aircraft.
In terms of cash burn: "Reduced cash burn from $400 million per month in March to $260 million in April, with the goal of reaching $200 million in June.". I believe United said they were burning $40m a day by comparison, with a goal to get to $20m/day after Oct 1st.

Neil
Old May 5, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well this feels like a nugget.. originally it was only qualifying miles flown through 4/30/20, but now it looks to be all 2020 miles. Forgive me if I missed this previously:
Extended elite Mileage Plan status to all members until Dec. 31, 2021, and offered for all 2020 qualifying miles to apply to 2021 status achievement.
be_rettSEA and Eurynom0s like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Well this feels like a nugget.. originally it was only qualifying miles flown through 4/30/20, but now it looks to be all 2020 miles. Forgive me if I missed this previously:
That was news to me. Thanks!
PDXPremier likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
All miles flown in 2020 counting towards 2021 qualification would be pretty awesome. Also, wasn't using mark-to-market accounting?

Suspended over $500 million in capital spending, largely through the deferral of pre-delivery aircraft payments and non-aircraft capital projects.
RIP SFO Lounge?

Last edited by JHake10; May 5, 2020 at 9:10 am
Old May 5, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JHake10
RIP SFO Lounge?
For sure. If they're anything like any other airline every single capital expense is frozen. The only thing they have left to cut is payroll, which will happen Oct 1st.
JHake10 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:12 am

Uhhhh whoa. Goodbye Airbus?

missamo80 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Uhhhh whoa. Goodbye Airbus?
I can't imagine AS keeping planes they have to lease in this environment (they'll drop the leased pmVX planes as fast as they can- leasing a plane they have to park is just setting cash on fire)- the only ones they might like long term are the A321neos that VX actually bought (the economics on that plane are actually better than the 737Max9/10), but that's a really small fleet type for AS right now, and AS doesn't exactly need to buy planes these days.
missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:52 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Recorded earnings call: https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/gpsi6iue
Old May 5, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That was news to me. Thanks!
Not seeing it updated on the website yet. Not that they were that great at updating it before.

Any elite-qualifying miles earned between January 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020 will be rolled over to 2021 to give you a head start on earning your status for 2022.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits
Old May 5, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by safari ari
Not seeing it updated on the website yet. Not that they were that great at updating it before.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits
Twitter team confirmed it for someone who asked this morning (not that it means it's official by any means, but you'd think they'd double check if they weren't sure?)
Old May 5, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Given what I heard on the earnings call about their expectations for the year I'm not surprised at Megan's response to my tweet. There's no way having it only last through April made any sense for the business.

Neil
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Given what I heard on the earnings call about their expectations for the year I'm not surprised at Megan's response to my tweet. There's no way having it only last through April made any sense for the business.

Neil
Much easier to extend than retract......

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can't imagine AS keeping planes they have to lease in this environment (they'll drop the leased pmVX planes as fast as they can- leasing a plane they have to park is just setting cash on fire)- the only ones they might like long term are the A321neos that VX actually bought (the economics on that plane are actually better than the 737Max9/10), but that's a really small fleet type for AS right now, and AS doesn't exactly need to buy planes these days.
All the A321neos are leased from GECAS.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:31 pm

Ahhhh boooo they just released an update to the press release, it was an error all along
Old May 5, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Ahhhh boooo they just released an update to the press release, it was an error all along
Yep - correction issued:
In the news release, Alaska Air Group reports first quarter 2020 results; COVID-19 response, issued 05-May-2020 by Alaska Air Group over PR Newswire, we are advised by the company that in the Guests and Employees section, fourth bullet, should read "Any elite-qualifying miles earned between January 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020 will be rolled over to 2021." rather than "Extended elite Mileage Plan status to all members until Dec. 31, 2021, and offered for all 2020 qualifying miles to apply to 2021 status achievement." as originally issued inadvertently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.