Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning on All American (AA) Flights Restored (4/1/2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite

Not that it'll immediately do anyone a whole lot of good given the COVID travel reductions, but fresh off the partner earning charts, beginning today (4/1), all AA flights are eligible for accrual of AS miles/EQMs (of course, limited to eligible fare classes). Earning chart from the AS AA earnings page below:

Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Not that it'll immediately do anyone a whole lot of good given the COVID travel reductions, but fresh off the partner earning charts, beginning today (4/1), all AA flights are eligible for accrual of AS miles/EQMs (of course, limited to eligible fare classes). Earning chart from the AS AA earnings page below:

See the picture. See that wonderful 10,000 mile bonus on partner flights to outside North America? A great idea for another era. For now, stay safe and don't contribute to increasing the risk to others by traveling. It's going to be a rough 2 years. Maybe even 3-4 years. It's trench warfare and not just a drone war.

Remember the good old days of AS miles for DL and AA flights and 100% of miles? Of course, AS didn't fly much outside of West Coast north-south flights and Alaska.
KRSW, ashill, Mauibaby2008 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Great news! I was afraid they'd put the whole thing on hold.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Great news! I was afraid they'd put the whole thing on hold.
Agree - I was wondering if my May 6 trip to DC on AA would be able to earn on AS, and it looks like it would have, had it not been cancelled! Either way, nice to know earning is back.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
A bit of good news! I fly AA DEN-LAX sometimes and it's nice to have those AS miles back.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ashill
The urgency for this is rather less than it was a few weeks ago, but Alaska has now restored full earning, including EQMs, on all AA flights, per One Mile at a Time, effective today (April 1). Unsurprisingly (to me), the earning chart is (I think) the same as it was for international flights, including only 25% EQM earning on the O and Q coach fares.

They now say this explicitly (I don't think this has ever been so explicit, especially the "even if both" bit, for a partner, so maybe they mean it until they're a member of oneworld):
I'm not familiar with AS and AA's fare codes, but is it safe to say that all AA fares including basic earn RDM and EQM on AS?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not familiar with AS and AA's fare codes, but is it safe to say that all AA fares including basic earn RDM and EQM on AS?
AA's earning chart has a B fare code for basic economy that is not on AS's earning chart, so looks like AA basic economy fares get nothing in Mileage Plan. All other AA fare codes are on AS's earning chart.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
A bit of good news! I fly AA DEN-LAX sometimes and it's nice to have those AS miles back.
AS earnings in MP for AA operated & marketed flights will be fare class based. AA B fares aren't eligible; earnings will be from 25% of miles flown for other fare classes.

James
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A318neo
See the picture. See that wonderful 10,000 mile bonus on partner flights to outside North America? A great idea for another era. For now, stay safe and don't contribute to increasing the risk to others by traveling. It's going to be a rough 2 years. Maybe even 3-4 years. It's trench warfare and not just a drone war.

Remember the good old days of AS miles for DL and AA flights and 100% of miles? Of course, AS didn't fly much outside of West Coast north-south flights and Alaska.
**...It doesn't say but I assume those 10,000 bonus miles don't count toward Elite Status, right??
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mark diver
**...It doesn't say but I assume those 10,000 bonus miles don't count toward Elite Status, right??
Correct!

James
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Was happy to see this progressed along despite all the craziness. Hopefully will be able to use this realigned partnership later this year if things start to return to normal.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:43 pm

It's a bit strange that AS X fares get 25% credit on AA, but AA B fares (apparently) get nothing on AS. That limits the utility for most domestic/non corporate travelers...
DashFlyer400 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mark diver
It does say in the fine print on the actual web page; just not in the posted screen shot. (As noted, the answer is no.)
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
It's a bit strange that AS X fares get 25% credit on AA, but AA B fares (apparently) get nothing on AS. That limits the utility for most domestic/non corporate travelers...

AS Mileage Plan members still earn 1 mile for each mile flown. AA AAdvantage members only earn 0.5 miles for each mile flown on B fares towards EQM. AS also allows free seat selection within the designated Saver seats or a buy-up to Premium while AA charges a seat selection fee.

James
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS Mileage Plan members still earn 1 mile for each mile flown. AA AAdvantage members only earn 0.5 miles for each mile flown on B fares towards EQM. AS also allows free seat selection within the designated Saver seats or a buy-up to Premium while AA charges a seat selection fee.

James
​​​​​​
Not in any way disagreeing that AS Saver is less punitive than AA BE in general, but fact is most consumers are price conscious and the lowest AS fares are treated better by AA than the lowest AA fares by AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.