Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge "service"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

lounge "service"

Trying to check-in to the lounge in Seatac C, and there was a line (at least 5). The lady in front was talking on the phone, so the man behind her moved forward, so he could scan his boarding pass. But the agent "barked" at him, "I'm still helping her." Not in a nice way at all. I daresay rude.
Why should you wait for someone who is on the phone? How is that relevant to checking in?

Maybe the agent thought she was "nice" because she was actually helping someone?

Has the culture at Alaska changed? Aren't they supposed to be the nice one? They advertise the smiling old man as Alaskan hospitality.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I think its a really, really, really long stretch to believe there is a culture change at Alaska because someone got "barked" at for line cutting (even if justified). I have been to the Lounge a zillion times and always found the agents helpful and pleasant.
thegingninj, Bellerina and cmx like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Well, overcrowding doesn't help anyone out. But how do the Alaska employees handle it when they get more work? Do they become like AA employees? Or Delta?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Well, overcrowding doesn't help anyone out. But how do the Alaska employees handle it when they get more work? Do they become like AA employees? Or Delta?
No to AA (no one's that bad) and not quite up there w/DL.

But seriously, maybe she was having a bad day? Her cat had to be put down? She's in the midst of dealing with a parent with dementia? WHO KNOWS?

But no, the culture hasn't changed. You experienced a one-off, that's all.

Nothing to see here, Folks.
cmx likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:09 pm

AS reputation as nice is left over from years ago. Now it’s mostly just indifference with a side of attitude when agents / employees are asked to do something extra. There are some rockstars left but that is an exception and not the rule for the most part. I would put them even with UA and AA, below DL or WN.

In flight is better. And the pilots are still awesome.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Sorry to hear the bad experiences. I've found lounge staff to always be warm and affable. If anything their time spent connecting with guests slows down the check in a bit. But the finger scanners are there for people like me who want to zip in.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh. Means less than nothing,

If someone dropped a dish, would there be a thread entitled, "Is Alaska now throwing dishes?"
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
First off - I agree with everyone that one outlier event doesn't define AS culture. The agent could've been having a rough day, or maybe that passenger was being a pill several times before trying to bypass or cut the line? Who knows.

If you don't want to wait in line, register your fingerprints and bypass it nice & quick with a nod from the agents.
Cbrave likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Use the Lounge quite a bit and I am more annoyed with the self important people who think they are the only ones there whether it be talking loudly on the phone, taking up multiple seats for one person or blocking the 8 slice toast machine for their one slice to toast and oblivious to others who would want to use the other 7 slots....yeah, I know, first world problems. The staff, however are not a problem for me. Anyway, I use my two fingers on the scanner and head in.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Use the Lounge quite a bit and I am more annoyed with the self important people who think they are the only ones there whether it be talking loudly on the phone, taking up multiple seats for one person or blocking the 8 slice toast machine for their one slice to toast and oblivious to others who would want to use the other 7 slots....yeah, I know, first world problems. The staff, however are not a problem for me. Anyway, I use my two fingers on the scanner and head in.
I don’t use the lounge that much, but when I do, I almost always notice at least one person who is being obnoxious or impolite to the staff. So I can certainly understand how staff could end being less friendly at some of the busier times.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by olouie
AS reputation as nice is left over from years ago.
[...]
In flight is better. And the pilots are still awesome.
I've found anyone with 10+ years at AS is generally great. Ground staff, inflight, ops etc. When you start getting to the PMVX inflight or ground staff crews or the real new hires, it becomes a mixed bag. The next year with the pilo will be interesting with the contract negotiations. Always say hello to the drivers. They like being noticed.

Lounge staff, however, is generally really good. Some are friendlier than others of course, but generally everyone I've encountered is really good and wants to help everyone. I wish the fingerprint scanners were faster though.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:36 pm

perhaps the person on the phone was talking to someone at alaska about the transaction she was trying to make? you dont get to choose when it is ok to skip the queue.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
This is exactly why I enrolled on the finger scanners. For LAX in particular, I come up the back way thru the stairs, scan in, and avoid the glut of people jammed up at checkin.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Im always amazed that people dont use the scanners. Why would you prefer to wait in line and pull out your boarding pass?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Another thing that annoys me at the new N lounge at SEA -- there are clearly marked counters/bins for taking your dishes and glasses, yet I see people casually leaving them on other unoccupied tables. I politely but firmly told one repeat offender (who was also talking loudly) to take her dishes and glasses to the counter, and when she acted baffled, I pointed in the right direction, saying "you walked right by it when you came here." She did so, and hopefully learned a lesson about not leaving messes at tables that could be used by other people. I wouldn't have minded if she had left a mess at her own table, but she instead put her mess on another table several feet away...
JacksonFlyer and ctporter like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.