Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDX Connection Time - question & website MCT oddity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks -

On Dec 18 I booked SEA-PDX-MSP on May 29:
SEA-PDX AS 2596 6:00am - 7:00am
PDX-MSP AS 2584 7:30am - 12:55pm

This morning I received an email with a flight change, as AS had bumped me from the above to (also on May 29):
SEA-MSP AS 1338 10:00am - 3:29pm

This won't work as I have a connection on Delta at 4:10pm (at least, I'd rather not try 40 mins, even with interlined luggage).

What's odd is that my original flights still (largely) exist (SEA-PDX is now AS 1402 6:00am - 6:59am); guessing what happened is that that SEA-PDX leg changed and when the system went to rebook me MCT prevented it and put me on the direct.

1. Obviously it's strange that the system let me book the original itin with a 30 minute connection in PDX but rejected it later - and now, today, prevents booking of that itin, with the same connection time (actually 1 more minute, 31 vs 30).

2. All that said, how much fire am I playing with trying to make a 30 minute connection (if i just book 2 itins) at PDX on a Friday morning (this would be the weekend after Mem day)? I will have checked bags but am assuming that I could check that all the way through to MSP when I get to Seatac.

3. And, if I can reasonably make the 30 minute connection, how much fire is my bag playing with in keeping up with me? These are the first 2 legs of a 4 leg journey to get to a fishing lodge in somewhat-remote Canada, so if my bags don't make it, kind of a large problem...

4. Alternative is just to fly to MSP the night prior (May 28), overnight at MSP, and have a leisurely day before the 4:10 connection on DL...not the best use of time that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Any thoughts/advice? Appreciate it!

Last edited by zs58; Jan 8, 2020 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The MCT at PDX for AS online is 30 minutes.
2. The MCT at MSP for AS-DL for both D-D and D-I is 40 minutes.

You could call AS and have them move you back to your original itinerary as that is what AS booked, confirmed, and is legal. You could also stick with your current nonstop to MSP, but that connection is now 1 minute above MCT which is well below SCT (Sensible Connection Time) unless you really have a tight schedule.

If I were you I would have AS rebook me to MSP the night before. The question is not what is "legal" but what is "sensible". Nobody here can predict what will happen on your travel date, but if the slightest delay occurs, you are SOL. Same thing goes for your bag and, although it will be for your final delivering carrier to organize that,, if you are in a remote location, the logistics of that delivery will take the time they take.

Why louse up what sounds like a fun trip for the stress and disappointment you face? All fine to do this stuff if you have mission critical meetings on both ends. But, you don't.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If you misconnect on SEA-PDX, what are your options?

I'd go with #4 , use the later arrival to request the non-stop on the prior day, and see if AS will pick up your hotel room due to their schedule change.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. The MCT at PDX for AS online is 30 minutes.
2. The MCT at MSP for AS-DL for both D-D and D-I is 40 minutes.

You could call AS and have them move you back to your original itinerary as that is what AS booked, confirmed, and is legal.
Thanks for the thoughts - just to clarify, I did call AS and point out that my original itin, which the system let me book, was still available (albeit with a changed flight no on the SEA-PDX leg), and the agent told me he couldn't book (or re-book) it because of MCT. He seemed a little surprised that I was able to book it in the first place; I guess I could HUCA and see what happens but I came to flyertalk instead=)

So somewhere there is a disconnect about what the actual MCT at PDX is...

I like the thought about SCT - will remember that acronym for later...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
If you misconnect on SEA-PDX, what are your options?
Poor! Either o/n in PDX and try for the 7:30am to MSP the following day or hop back to SEA and try for one of the later directs to MSP, either one of which is no bueno...

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'd go with #4 , use the later arrival to request the non-stop on the prior day, and see if AS will pick up your hotel room due to their schedule change.
I didn't think to ask about hotel coverage, particularly with my connection out of MSP being on DL, but good thought. Couldn't hurt.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zs58
Thanks for the thoughts - just to clarify, I did call AS and point out that my original itin, which the system let me book, was still available (albeit with a changed flight no on the SEA-PDX leg), and the agent told me he couldn't book (or re-book) it because of MCT. He seemed a little surprised that I was able to book it in the first place; I guess I could HUCA and see what happens but I came to flyertalk instead=)

So somewhere there is a disconnect about what the actual MCT at PDX is...

I like the thought about SCT - will remember that acronym for later...
I still wouldn't book a 30-minute connection, but the fact remains that AS publishes a 30-minute MCT for a series of flights at PDX and both of your flight numbers are in that list. So, it's just another AS muck up one way or the other.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
My 2 cents on the matter is that I would never depend on a 30 minute connection from a SEA-PDX (or vice versa) shuttle. I do that trip very often and although things for the most part go OK, anything from a canceled flight to the dreaded ATC hold (which they tell after boarding the aircraft) can easily pop up. I generally will give myself 90-120 minutes leeway "just in case".
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I personally almost always choose to fly AS over DL. This would be one situation where I would reverse and choose to fly DL instead of AS. I also find myself needing to get to remote Canadian locations on occasion and I fly DL to help me get there. In your situation, there are two DL flights SEA-MSP that would fit your schedule (06:25 & 08:05) . I would recommend taking the schedule change as an opportunity for a free cancellation of the AS itin and book the DL instead.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DrAlex
... there are two DL flights SEA-MSP that would fit your schedule (06:25 & 08:05) . I would recommend taking the schedule change as an opportunity for a free cancellation of the AS itin and book the DL instead.
indeed, this would seem to be the simplest solution ... the later flight is currently $169 in Basic, $204 in coach, and $373 in discount F

that said, PAE-PDX arrives at 0650, which at 40 min is clearly a legal online connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.