Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waived Award Flight Cancellation Due to US/Iran Threats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriot Silver

Will Alaska waive the cancellation fee for an award flight on Emirates using Alaska miles to Dubai in light of the current crisis? I hate to cancel but the crisis seems to be getting worse. . I’m leaving in a couple weeks.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Why not just call and ask? There’s no published waivers for EK flights, so it’s certainly your decision to cancel, not something that’s force majeure like a weather waiver.
rckcmp, pcoll, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriot Silver
Good point. They are not waiving any change fees as of now per the chat convo. Any chance Chase Sapphire travel protections will cover the fee? It’s not a ton of money but I’ve already changed it once.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
UAE is home to hundreds of Iranians - plus they get all their American products in Dubai so you should be fairly safe!
cmx likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rckcmp
Good point. They are not waiving any change fees as of now per the chat convo. Any chance Chase Sapphire travel protections will cover the fee? It’s not a ton of money but I’ve already changed it once.
There are no travel warnings for the UAE so insurance is going to be useless
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Nah, nothing is going to happen. People on Twitter panic easily and the media like to blow up a story. You'll be fine.
trooper and bubbashow like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unlikely that you get this change fee covered any more than if you were traveling to Germany. This isn't the place for political predictions, it's simply a matter of whether there are travel warnings and then travel waivers established by the operating carrier of the flight in question.
thegingninj likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by rckcmp
Will Alaska waive the cancellation fee for an award flight on Emirates using Alaska miles to Dubai in light of the current crisis? I hate to cancel but the crisis seems to be getting worse. . I’m leaving in a couple weeks.
I can't think of any other major city in the USA that is as safe as Dubai.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
That seems like a huge overreaction.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
You have little chance without any of the airlines publishing a travel waiver. I was just in Central Asia last week and the only discussion I heard among the airlines there was some potential rerouting to avoid Iranian airspace for certain flights. My AUH-JFK flights have always gone up north over Iran and the turned west, not sure if your DXB flight would route over Iran or not, but since it is a nonUS carrier I doubt they would even need to adjust their routing, even if flying to the US.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Obviously you should do whatever you feel is appropriate and safe - but you should be quite safe in the UAE. The country is very open to westerners, not just the US I saw tons of Brits on holiday there, and a conflict with Iran over politics (not a religious war) isn't going to change that. The only risk would be if unsanctioned factions & terrorist organizations decide its a good time to strike western targets in any country - which honestly they can do any day of the week regardless of our status with Iran.

So - exercise the usual precautions. And yeah, they'd probably route planes away from active war zones - but that's about it.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.