Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Give the Gift of an Alaska Lounge Membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

My S/O received this link via e-mail. Not for me but figured someone else might be interested.

https://givethegiftofanalaskaloungemem.splashthat.com/
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
You can't use it for yourself if you are a current Lounge member.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Buried in the details for those who didn't receive or click: they're offering lounge memberships for yourself (or gifted, up to 3) for redeeming miles - based on the "giver's" status:
80k general member
70k MVP
60k MVPG
50k MVPG75K

Expires 11:59pm PT on 12/25
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It doesn't say nonrefundable, but if you give it to someone ineligible (because he/she already has an AS lounge membership that roughly includes December 2019 or January 2020, or if he/she refuses to get an AS FF number, for example), you can nominate someone else. The T&C don't say that you can get a refund in such cases.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I got this too. It's... interesting? At 60k I'm almost a buyer, but then I look and see I could just pay $350 cash instead. Or just buy day passes for $25 each.

But... do I really fly often enough to places where Alaska has a lounge to be worth it? There's no lounge at SFO or OAK, the airports I visit most often.

Thanks for talking me out of this, FlyerTalk!

Neil

Edit: Now I'm waffling again. SFO is supposed to get a lounge in 2020. Admirals Club access at EWR (at least for now...). Hmm.

Edit edit: I did the math, and 60k is 8 segments of 7,500 mile flights, so worth about $800 to me. Totally not worth paying 60k for a $350 lounge membership.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
I got this too. It's... interesting? At 60k I'm almost a buyer, but then I look and see I could just pay $350 cash instead. Or just buy day passes for $25 each.

But... do I really fly often enough to places where Alaska has a lounge to be worth it? There's no lounge at SFO, OAK, or EWR, the airports I visit most often.

Neil
Well, there will be a Lounge in SFO in 2020 (they say) and you can (for now) use the Admirals Club at EWR if you are a Lounge member. That Admirals club is not amazing but it is way better than the gates.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
it is way better than the gates.
That's not a very high bar
jsguyrus, sea_jeff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by missamo80

But... do I really fly often enough to places where Alaska has a lounge to be worth it? There's no lounge at SFO or OAK, the airports I visit most often.

Neil

Edit: Now I'm waffling again. SFO is supposed to get a lounge in 2020. Admirals Club access at EWR (at least for now...). Hmm.

Edit edit: I did the math, and 60k is 8 segments of 7,500 mile flights, so worth about $800 to me. Totally not worth paying 60k for a $350 lounge membership.
Also received this offer. And agree, after doing the math, not worth it.
Purchasing membership outright would make more sense, miles worth more to me. Also have AmExPlat airline credit $200 which can be applied to purchase of lounge membership.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:56 am

The way I look at it is I can do a coach RT to Europe or a OW business to Europe for the 60,000 miles which is worth far more than $350..
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The way I look at it is I can do a coach RT to Europe or a OW business to Europe for the 60,000 miles which is worth far more than $350..
that was my first thought. Email got deleted right away.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Totally not worth it. I’ll hit 75k at year end and i would much rather spend $300 than 50,000 miles. That’s multiple round trips, domestically and easily an international round trip to Asia.

I will say, I do appreciate that they are giving us more ways to use miles. But their thresholds are way off in this case.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Totally not worth it. I’ll hit 75k at year end and i would much rather spend $300 than 50,000 miles. That’s multiple round trips, domestically and easily an international round trip to Asia.

I will say, I do appreciate that they are giving us more ways to use miles. But their thresholds are way off in this case.
yeah, the value proposition of this pricing scheme is absurd
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Ah, I suppose it's ok for the person who has more miles than he knows what to do with.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, I suppose it's ok for the person who has more miles than he knows what to do with.
But I would assume those people are already Lounge members or AmexPlat, etc. and wouldn't be interested in this offer though.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:44 pm

I got the same email. It looks legit, but noticed the website wasn't alaskaair.com so got a little nervous it was a phishing email. But I checked the site it's on and it appears like it's the real deal. I signed up and they said they'd follow up by email but haven't heard anything back. So when you sign up, you're not actually done with the process, they get back to you. I've done many other Alaska promotions and this one feels kinda strange.

Gus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.