Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska "About Today" apology emails

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Alaska "About Today" apology emails

I've received three of these odd apology emails over the last two weeks. The emails arrived after long flight delays or cancellations, where Alaska was clearly at fault--ie. issues with mechanical, catering, or crew unavailability.

In the past, I would receive an apology email with a discount code for a future flight. It seems Alaska has dropped (or is testing out dropping) the offering of discount codes proactively.

Does anyone else find these emails irritating? Reminds me of the parodied BP CEO apology. Generic "we're sorry", with nothing to back it up.

Last edited by jjmadison; Dec 6, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Yeah. If you’re not sending a CS gesture, don’t bother clutter my email.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I've started using this subject for "out sick today" emails to my boss. I don't provide her a discount code either anymore.
jjmadison, mendezka and Red L like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've started using this subject for "out sick today" emails to my boss. I don't provide her a discount code either anymore.
Yes. Also works well when emailing the wife, announcing I won't be changing baby diapers today.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our of four of us traveling recently only my son got unsolicited 25 off voucher for a very minor delay. Why only him is beyond me...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting...I never get these emails but I think it's because when I fly AS metal (which I do frequently as an elite), we are almost always either early (everyone seated and door shut 15 min. early) or on-time...very rarely is there a mechanical delay and the air traffic control delays in SEA don't seem to make much difference when the flight time between PDX and SEA is a padded one hour When I fly AA, that's another story....I can count on not getting to where I am going on time...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Made a damaged bag claim, and got a "A change has been made to your flight" email.

Something's wonky
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:09 pm

How bad was the delay?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASA_1
How bad was the delay?
Most recent delay (when I received the apology email) was three hours.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
I got one of these a couple of weeks ago (for a flight that sat two hours on the ramp after landing, waiting for a gate). It said something like "be on the lookout for a discount code."

They did send the code, but inexplicably, sent it to a different email than the first one. You figure that one out.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I had a four hour mechanical delay recently, and they sent the email to me. Then a separate email with the code went to my son. I never got a code myself and he never got the initial email. Beats me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.