Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Just venting. I really HATE these bus gates...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just venting. I really HATE these bus gates...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I get irrationally annoyed at the way they do a regular boarding on to the bus, just to have it be a free for all once the bus arrives at the plane.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I get irrationally annoyed at the way they do a regular boarding on to the bus, just to have it be a free for all once the bus arrives at the plane.
As would I, but I am unsure how they can enforce it other than have a whole separate bus for Pre-Board/FC/Group A/B that leaves, and then put the normals on another bus? Seems wildly inefficient and if you showed up to the gate later you would still be on the main cabin bus.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Yea totally, hence my "irrationally" qualifier

(I mean it's rational but I also don't see a viable solution)
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Inbound to SEA last night... boarded the bus and it said we were headed to gate B20... I was a little concerned, but in the end we arrived at D20.

Do buses actually drop at B20?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

If I check in early and it's not cold or rainy, I like to board by the old fashioned way. I sometimes wave like a head of state does when at the top near the doorway.
wrp96, NoLaGent and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm with you. I came into it earlier this year from RDU and the schlep into the terminal took so long (especially the rabbit warren ramp system where you can't pass slow passengers once you're off the bus) I missed my next connection. I know it's not all Alaska's fault but it makes connecting at SEA really unpleasant.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Agree with y’all. These bus gates can be a game changer with respect to connecting flights.
Luckily I haven’t had to make a connection when stuck with a bus gate at arrival.

Lucky me. LAX -SEA last night and we come home via da bus. Outbound AND inbound on this trip. Oh joy.

And my miles for the outbound trip still haven’t posted for all those following the “miles posting instantly “ thread.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
And my miles for the outbound trip still haven’t posted for all those following the “miles posting instantly “ thread.
Maybe they could offer 500 extra miles for pax’ pain and suffering due to the extra bus segment
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe they could offer 500 extra miles for pax’ pain and suffering due to the extra bus segment
I approve that message.
That could be your FT campaign pitch.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Unfortunately the bus gates are a reality for the duration of the North satellite construction. It's still better than sitting waiting for an occupied gate, which happens, but not as much as it would without them. They're down 12 gates during this (only have access to N13-20), and have to run flights out of somewhere.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Well I have the joy of flying out of the S gates today! Very strange for a domestic departure. I checked and the airplane came in from Honolulu so not sure why it’s at the S gates. I guess Alaska is that desperate for gates. I think this is on par with the bus gates with respect to inconvenience
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not even close, other than no Lounge in the S satellite
sea_jeff and pbelmore like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ASA_1
Well I have the joy of flying out of the S gates today! Very strange for a domestic departure. I checked and the airplane came in from Honolulu so not sure why it’s at the S gates. I guess Alaska is that desperate for gates. I think this is on par with the bus gates with respect to inconvenience
I’ve seen early morning departures from S gates before. They are also using two B gates during the construction.

On a different note, does Delta also use bus gates at SEA?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
Well shocker, my flight just got moved... to bus gates!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

S gates would be waaaaaaaay better than bus gates. I used to dislike the N gates until experiencing the joy that the bus gates deliver. I’ve had some Horizon flights out of the S gates a while back. Vastly preferable to the bus gates.

Originally Posted by jrl767
. +1000 on that.

Well shocker, my flight just got moved... to bus gates!
My condolences. Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.