Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Selling Miles: How Much Do They Really Make?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Selling Miles: How Much Do They Really Make?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:08 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That’s cash flow, not profit, and it’s referring to the entire credit card program, not specifically purchasing miles.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You don’t think banks or partners purchase miles? Exactly what’s the difference between MS/churning on a BofA card and buying miles on points.com if the concern is MY PRECIOUSSSS CATHAY FIRST NASSSTY NON ELITES? Alaska sold points to someone and at the end some undeserving swine got to book a nice seat in a metal tube.
notquiteaff and Calculon like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
You don’t think banks or partners purchase miles? Exactly what’s the difference between MS/churning on a BofA card and buying miles on points.com if the concern is MY PRECIOUSSSS CATHAY FIRST NASSSTY NON ELITES? Alaska sold points to someone and at the end some undeserving swine got to book a nice seat in a metal tube.
Nothing is “my precious” and I don’t lay claim to anything as mine. I just want to know why, and what the logic is. Is it solely about the benjamins? If so that’s fine, just curious.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:56 pm

MY PRECIOUSSSS CATHAY FIRST NASSSTY NON ELITES?
I suspect that's how CX revenue management and their elites view all AS Mileage redemptions regardless of status. Sometimes, I even feel the CX crew may feel the same, though it's very subtle and I could be imagining things. I can't say I blame them, since I too believe that any Airline rewards program should reward their members first and treat their own better than that of their partners.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: Alaska
Fly is loyalty? buying miles is not?

What's exactly the difference to Alaska?

Actually, buying miles shows more loyalty, because they don't have to. Flying, some people have to. No loyalty to speak of.
kb1992 and NWplatinum like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
Fly is loyalty? buying miles is not?

What's exactly the difference to Alaska?

Actually, buying miles shows more loyalty, because they don't have to. Flying, some people have to. No loyalty to speak of.
LOL... the real questions now that everyone is talking about partners is how does QF get away with never releasing J or F space?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:47 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
None but that slide has nothing to do with it. This isn’t Econ 101, a slide saying “MP good 4 cash flow” doesn’t automatically explain every MP-related decision AS makes.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
LOL... the real questions now that everyone is talking about partners is how does QF get away with never releasing J or F space?

Because QF does not give a rat's *** about whether ASers are happy or not.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Because QF does not give a rat's *** about whether ASers are happy or not.
Of course. So why doesn’t Alaska do something? EK yelled at AS.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:01 am

Of course. So why doesn’t Alaska do something? EK yelled at AS.

AS works for AS. AS does not work for MP members. Who says AS is not happy with QF? Til now, MP members have been unhappy with QF awards for years already.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

AS works for AS. AS does not work for MP members. Who says AS is not happy with QF? Til now, MP members have been unhappy with QF awards for years already.
Silly me, I thought AS actually cared about their own members and ensured their partners were equally giving.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Silly me, I thought AS actually cared about their own members and ensured their partners were equally giving.
Well, since we’re going somewhere else now...

Why would you expect QF to give a small partner like AS more than they give AA, who is a joint venture partner directly sharing revenue with them? Or are you aware of QF awards that are bookable on AA but not AS?

Also, “never” is a strong term. Want to make a wager on how many posts proving QF J/F availability is < 0 are in this forum?

North America-Australia’s in premium always been a tough one. Hard to blame Alaska for that.

https://viewfromthewing.com/the-chal...vantage-miles/
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Yes if you are their cash cow. If you just want to maximize your point redemptions then you are not.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
If I remember correctly, AA makes more on selling miles than selling tickets... It is no small source of revenue depending on the carrier.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by williwaw
If I remember correctly, AA makes more on selling miles than selling tickets... It is no small source of revenue depending on the carrier.
”makes more” ...

You mean profit, not revenue, I assume?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.