Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Strategies for when Alaska just won't get you there

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategies for when Alaska just won't get you there

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
That was the story of my life when I was flying primarily UA for business travel - enough PQD for Plat, but stuck halfway between Silver and Gold on miles. UA is changing next year to be almost entirely spend based and it sounds like E+ and F buyups will count in that. $5K=silver, $10K=gold, $15K=Plat, $24K=1K, with some discounts for flying a lot of segments. Silver on UA is still a fairly big improvement over general member (especially IRROPS), but you can get largely the same benefits as Gold for the price of the explorer card ($95) and an E+ subscription ($600 for lower 48 states only). Free upgrades don't really exist on UA until you get to 1K, and even they seem to have trouble getting them. I did the CC+E+ sub one year when I expired from Silver and it kept me fairly comfortable while I worked back up. The E+ sub is for a year from date of purchase, so if you go UA, it's best to buy it right when you buy your first flight and then use it to move to E+ immediately (it goes into effect immediately).

I'm going to expire out of UA silver this year (I went for AS MVPG and UA nothing this year instead of MVP +Silver) so I'm considering the same issues. Being LAX based it's pretty easy to just fly whoever works for my schedule
The ironic thing with UA's new system letting E+ and F buyups counting toward hitting the next status level is that it makes it harder to retain status, since the higher up you get the likelier you are to get those for free.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I fly Delta as my backup... problem is Alaska failed at taking me so many places this year I ended up flying more Delta (Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City, etc).

I try to fly directs as much as possible, and prioritized in the following order:
Alaska (Gold for 2020)
Delta (Platinum for 2020)
United (Silver 2020, thanks to Marriott)

I might go all Delta next year because Diamond is likely better than this split status thing I have.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:10 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

The UA Club Card will get you lounge access and a number of elite benefits (priority check-in, better access to award flights, priority bag handling).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I use UA as backup since I have Silver status through my Marriott tier.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
The ironic thing with UA's new system letting E+ and F buyups counting toward hitting the next status level is that it makes it harder to retain status, since the higher up you get the likelier you are to get those for free.
Complimentary F upgrades are unicorns unless you're a GS (maybe 1K on some routes) these days, but it's certainly true for the E+ thing. The E+ buyup contribution is also effectively capped somewhere between $600 and $1000 depending on the type of routes you fly - if you're going to fly more than 3 RT transcons in a year, you should just get an E+ subscription unless you want to just buy more of the new PQP. The international E+ subscription is $900 or $1000, so nobody should really be spending much more than that on a la carte E+ purchases.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Thankfully AS meets most of my business travel needs out of SAN, but I chose to fly UA this year when I couldn't use AS. I flew DL in 2018 when not flying AS because I thought they were the best of the legacies, and they somewhat met my travel needs (JFK, ATL). I flew enough DL to earn Silver, but I decided to switch to UA for a few reasons:

1. I switched all of my NYC flying to EWR because of the ease of getting to Midtown (AS's double miles promo didn't hurt).
2. IAH and IAD became more frequent destinations.
3. Chase UR are my preferred points system, so I thought it made more sense to earn on UA.
4. I enjoy traveling in Asia and prefer *A carriers over ST in the region.

Honestly, I would have been content with Silver just to board with Group 2 to guarantee carry-on space (I had to gate check in Group 3 quite a bit this year), but I managed to meet the PQD requirement for UA Gold quite easily. I needed a mileage run to PVG to hit the PQMs, but well worth it IMO to be able to select E+ at booking (not to mention it only cost me $260 RT). I've yet to have a poor experience on UA that many others seem to run into and am happy with my decision so far.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lawchild
If you can do a Business Select fare on WN, that's pretty reasonable as you likely will get an aisle/window in the first 6 rows.
Carry the Chase Southwest Priority Visa ($149) and Chase will pay for your first four A1-A15 upgrades (among other benefits that easily exceed the annual fee). After that they are typically $30 or $40 per flight and typically get you into the first 4 to 7 rows, making the Business Select spend look very high in comparison.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I've yet to have a poor experience on UA that many others seem to run into and am happy with my decision so far.
My experience on UA is similar - it's a flight and the service is fine, but if you're a primarily domestic flyer, AS MVP is arguably better than UA gold, and definitely better than silver. On AS as an MVP the upgrade to PC at T-48 reduces your seat risk by a lot more than the silver Y+ at check-in benefit, and an MVP has a much better chance of getting upgrades than a UA Gold (except maybe if you're SEA based). And AS also lets you check a bicycle for the cost of a regular bag, which is $0 if you're MVP or have the credit card.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This seems tough, simply due to the MQD requirement (perhaps you fly enough or have enough CC spend though to where it isn't). Silver is pretty worthless on DL or UA as well. What are you looking to get out of low-level status with another airline?
The one really useful thing DL Silver gets you that a credit card doesn't is free exit row seats at time of purchase as part of 'preferred seating' options. Since the middle exit row seat can often go unclaimed even on a fairly full flight, this can actually be better than getting a C+ upgrade to a middle seat on a flight.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
My experience on UA is similar - it's a flight and the service is fine, but if you're a primarily domestic flyer, AS MVP is arguably better than UA gold, and definitely better than silver. On AS as an MVP the upgrade to PC at T-48 reduces your seat risk by a lot more than the silver Y+ at check-in benefit, and an MVP has a much better chance of getting upgrades than a UA Gold (except maybe if you're SEA based). And AS also lets you check a bicycle for the cost of a regular bag, which is $0 if you're MVP or have the credit card.
Agreed that AS status is far more valuable at the lower tiers for domestic fliers, especially if you're based outside of their strongholds. I'm on track to hit 75K next week, and I was already getting upgraded to F on a majority of my flights as a Gold, so I anticipate getting much closer to 100% on upgrades in 2020.

UA Silver isn't anything to sneeze at, as long as you aren't expecting any upgrades. I usually managed to nab E+ aisle seats at check-in in rows 7 to 10 on my flights to IAH in particular. OP would likely be able to manage Silver buying last minute fares despite the changes to earning status beyond 2020. I plan on keeping an eye out for PE or J deals on UA and their "preferred partners" to earn PQPs at a higher rate and try to stretch for Gold again.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Thankfully AS meets most of my business travel needs out of SAN, but I chose to fly UA this year when I couldn't use AS. I flew DL in 2018 when not flying AS because I thought they were the best of the legacies, and they somewhat met my travel needs (JFK, ATL). I flew enough DL to earn Silver, but I decided to switch to UA for a few reasons:

1. I switched all of my NYC flying to EWR because of the ease of getting to Midtown (AS's double miles promo didn't hurt).
2. IAH and IAD became more frequent destinations.
3. Chase UR are my preferred points system, so I thought it made more sense to earn on UA.
4. I enjoy traveling in Asia and prefer *A carriers over ST in the region.

Honestly, I would have been content with Silver just to board with Group 2 to guarantee carry-on space (I had to gate check in Group 3 quite a bit this year), but I managed to meet the PQD requirement for UA Gold quite easily. I needed a mileage run to PVG to hit the PQMs, but well worth it IMO to be able to select E+ at booking (not to mention it only cost me $260 RT). I've yet to have a poor experience on UA that many others seem to run into and am happy with my decision so far.
How are you getting to midtown? LIRR from Jamaica is a lot more frequent than NJT from EWR.

Agree though about UA not being terrible, they're fairly decent about not screwing you on IRROPS. Now, AA on the other hand...
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

It did not have a solid answer. It depends on where is the place that AS or its partner can't get you there conveniently.

(for me, YYZ is the place that AS can't get me there and I need to go there frequent. So I have to rely on UA/AC. A bit side track, can AS open YYZ from either SEA/SFO/LAX?)
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Carry the Chase Southwest Priority Visa ($149) and Chase will pay for your first four A1-A15 upgrades (among other benefits that easily exceed the annual fee). After that they are typically $30 or $40 per flight and typically get you into the first 4 to 7 rows, making the Business Select spend look very high in comparison.
I've gotten an aisle row exit seat with a mid-Bs boarding number before. Apparently people have weird seating preferences.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
PDX based, there’s three destinations I travel to regularly that AS can’t get me nonstop: FAI, JNU, and IAH. IAH is easy...UA flies PDX-IAH nonstop so I’ll usually pony up for one of their discounted F fares and problem solved.

FAI and JNU I have to connect in SEA or ANC anyway regardless if it’s on AS or DL, so it is what it is.

All my other frequent destinations (basically ANC, AUS, and California) are easy nonstops from PDX on AS, plus AS has the best nonstop network from PDX nationally so that helps when I need to do a one-off.

If there’s no nonstop on AS I’ll fly nonstop on whoever offers the route. If there’s no nonstop on anybody I’ll take whoever gets me there the fastest, with preference to AS. Generally speaking UA and DL are my backups.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Complimentary F upgrades are unicorns unless you're a GS (maybe 1K on some routes) these days, but it's certainly true for the E+ thing.
As a UA GS I am very disappointed with the CPUs this year, indeed nearly a unicorn. I have had instrument assisted upgrades not clear. With UA's new point system I am just done with them. I am 1K next year so probably will stick around UA some runs I can't do with AS but I have shifted more and more flights to AS. Heck, if played right I can by F on AS for not much more than E+ on United!! Doing it all the time now.
NoLaGent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.