Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred Seats for Split Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Preferred Seats for Split Reservations

My (MVP), my wife's (MVP Gold), kids and my parents' reservations on identical itineraries are split among three reservations due to companion cert and mileage usage. Me and my wife and kids are in the last row of PC. We want my parents to sit behind us in the first row of Main Cabin (identified as "Refundable or Elite Seats") but Reservations or @AlaskaAir won't help us.

My understanding is that all 5 of us are booked on one reservation, we can all sit in the preferred seats (i.e., there is no "1+companion" limit like there is for PC). We've done it before.

Should Reservations give us the seats we want including the preferred seats for my non-elite parents. The kicker for me is that this is something that would otherwise be allowed if we were all on the same reservation.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:06 pm

I’m only MVP, but I booked a trip with my wife on two separate reservations because pricing 2 tickets together resulted in a higher fare. I could not bring her to preferred seats with me online. When I called, I was told they have to be on the same reservation, but the agent did it for me as “a one-time courtesy.” I’m surprised they won’t do it for a Gold.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
You have a choice to make: be on one reservation to enjoy the sharable benefits of MVP (preferred seats, baggage, boarding) or split it up to enjoy the benefits of discounted flights. The tricky one is you can buy the PC benefit, but not the elite/preferred seating benefit. I've had this challenge too where we traveled on two PNRs to use two companion fares. But its a trade off for me, the discount is worth more than the seating.
bon mot likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As an MVP, I booked a non-status companion on the same reservation as me and selected preferred seats for both of us. Once I learned that I was no longer able to be waitlisted for PC/F (since I was traveling on the same reservation as a non-status flyer) I called reservations and had it split into two itineraries. My companion did not lose their preferred seat. I'm not sure if it will work when you do it the other way around.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Seems like 3 years ago they would do this no question. But now it's a total race to the bottom.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It is terribly frustrating, but as you've experienced, rules are rules.

However, rules are ALWAYS meant to be broken, and they are quite often.

It's definitely worth a call back, probably after dinner when I've had really good luck reaching super nice agents in Boise or Seattle. I'd give it another shot after laying out the family members involved and how sweet your elderly parents are...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This changed probably about 2-3 years ago, about when PE rolled out. Otherwise yeah, most if not all res agents will not be able to accommodate your request. Best get everyone to MVP or higher status. :-:
williwaw and rustykettel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.