Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

ANC & PDX Alaska Lounges terminating Priority Pass agreement (Effective 11/1/2019) :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANC & PDX Alaska Lounges terminating Priority Pass agreement (Effective 11/1/2019) :(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by metallo
The new you have to be flying us access rules won't fix the overcrowding... they'll simply annoy a segment of those who currently pay for lounge memberships each year (just like DL did with me last year, so I cancelled my membership).
It is no longer of any value to being a member of legacy carrier's lounge membership. Legacy carriers are now prioritizing lounge access for high premium traveler, elite frequent flyers, corporate travelers and to those who charged their travel on its legacy endorsed credit card for access. Airlines lounge members at legacy carriers have been given the shaft by reduced amenities (eg. no shower access at most ua lounges) and limiting access (now requiring flight segment from that airlines or partners). The trend seems to be eliminating lounge membership altogether.

With Alaska however, it seems they are prioritizing AS Board Room members. They seem to actually value the money you invested into Board Room. Isn't this a good thing?

Jiburi
Klrduks likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jiburi
With Alaska however, it seems they are prioritizing AS Board Room members. They seem to actually value the money you invested into Board Room. Isn't this a good thing?
As a paying member, yes it is.
tusphotog and Klrduks like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Darn right. AS gets it: I give them money in exchange for nice things. Part of keeping that nice is investing in the product. Another part is figuring out that members take priority. Maybe they've gone too far in limiting access at times, but better than erring in the other direction.
davistev, tusphotog and Klrduks like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jiburi

It is...but as someone who accesses the Alaska Lounge with my Admirals Club membership (and could use my Priority Pass) feel I have enough lounge subscriptions and feel a little uneasy as an Alaska MVP based in SFO that the partnership will continue to work out.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Often1
PP makes all the sense in the world if it is bringing in infrequent AS passengers AND PP is paying a sufficient amount to make the deal worth it.

But, if PP is cannibalizing the AS customer base and then not paying enough to make it worth it, AS is left with the short end of the stick.

In any event, I am far from certain that the current PP business model survives for long. Reimbursement requirements are rising as carriers cut back and the fee cannot possibly support long-term growth. Movie Pass, Jr.
lol

I don't claim to know enough about exactly what PP contracts look like - i.e. how and how much they pay airline and independent lounges, much less restaurants. Nor do I have any idea much credit cards pay PP for each membership card they send out. I suspect no one does, since the details of such contracts are typically kept pretty close.

However...not sure comparing them to MoviePass is quite fair. I personally have been a credit card priority pass holder for going on 10 years now. I'm not saying it'll last forever...but is certainly has been around much longer than MoviePass...

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Nov 5, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I wonder how long before LAX is dropped from PP, too?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I wonder how long before LAX is dropped from PP, too?
I mean, it effectively is already. I can't think of a single time when the sign wasn't out and they weren't turning PP away. The lounge is very small (for those of you who have never been, think of the temporary one that was running at N gates in SEA) and is usually comfortably full.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
ANC and PDX Alaska Lounges are showing up again in the PP app. The notes say that face masks must be worn so it seems they really are back.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXpress
ANC and PDX Alaska Lounges are showing up again in the PP app. The notes say that face masks must be worn so it seems they really are back.
LAX has been easy to get into the last 3 times I've been through in the past couple months. I'm sure they're liking the per-visit payment from PP.

Flying out of PDX I've been going to Capers (cafe or market, depending on which is open) pretty consistently, but it would be nice to have a lower density place to sit than the gate.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXpress

O.M.G.

Haven't pulled it up yet- but did it mention if PP could only be used for departures? Flying to ANC tomorrow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.