Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JAL Flights Completely Gone from Award Searches (resolved)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Flights Completely Gone from Award Searches (resolved)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA, AS
So for those more knowledgeable on the back-end systems, what is your guess as to what could have caused the recent failures that affected some specific partners like AS and AA but not others like BA and why it affected only certain partners?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:55 am

JAL award seats are showing again.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
So for those more knowledgeable on the back-end systems, what is your guess as to what could have caused the recent failures that affected some specific partners like AS and AA but not others like BA and why it affected only certain partners?
Here's my guess. JAL provides the award inventory to AS. Every so often JAL does an assessment of awards to AS, part of which is pulling all award availability. After the assessment they provide AS with awards based on the new numbers.

Over the years have seen JAL awards totally disappear and then a few days later they reappear and there are more awards then before. Just my guess.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thepinenuts
Here's my guess. JAL provides the award inventory to AS. Every so often JAL does an assessment of awards to AS, part of which is pulling all award availability. After the assessment they provide AS with awards based on the new numbers.

Over the years have seen JAL awards totally disappear and then a few days later they reappear and there are more awards then before. Just my guess.
On the routes I've been watching, availability is exactly as it was before the blackout.

This was almost certainly a back-end issue.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Kacee
On the routes I've been watching, availability is exactly as it was before the blackout.

This was almost certainly a back-end issue.
I think there was an issue on JL's side where their security tables (or whatever it is called) that controls viewership of "Direct Connect Availability" (real time) was corrupt. These tables indicate which reservation system (Sabre, Amadeus, Galileo etc.) and which Pseudo City Codes (Office ID for Amadeus) can view availability and at which "connectivity level" (eg. real time, cached etc.) for each individual fare bucket.

These tables also drive Point of Sale (POS) availability where in some cases different Pseudo City Codes (Office ID for Amadeus) see different availability numbers for each class on the same flight.

AA and AS somehow disappeared from their table for a while.

Note: AA was still showing "cached" availability from JL where only JL flights that have a corresponding AA flight before or after it were showing. I did a test booking (to the point of putting the award on hold by not purchasing it) on the AA site and was able to confirm both the AA and JL segments (this confirms that "viewership" and "bookability" are two different security functions).
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
I was monitoring 2 x 1st Class JAL, ORD to NRT leading up to availability on AA and AS for 15/16 Sept 2020, using BA as a control to show forward availability. AA showed availability for the 15th a day before it would permit the booking to be completed, and AS also showed availability for a few minutes, but when I attempted to book it, the system wouldn't permit it. But I was able to complete the booking on AA for the 2 seats.

Very glad the blockage is over, and that I was able to secure the seats on either AA or AS.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:17 am

What’s on BA doesn’t seem to show on Alaska.

BA shows 2 F Seats from NRT To ORD 9/25/20

AS shows nothing :/

just checked same date from NRT to SEA. BA shows seats. AS nothing. Am. I doing something wrong ?

Last edited by AlexanderK; Oct 31, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The AS calendar has had issues with T-330 day searches, which is the date you’re looking on. Read the JAL award thread. Since if you search on other dates JAL is available, you’re not seeing the same issue as this thread is discussing.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The AS calendar has had issues with T-330 day searches, which is the date you’re looking on.
9/25/20 but can also do 9/26/20. But I know that’s still too far out at the moment
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go read the JAL award thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread.html

Specifically this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31648491-post1124.html
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:13 pm

interesting. When I use the calendar you can see Flights for 35k + 64 dollars on the calendar but when you click on the day it shows an error and no flights appear.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexanderK
interesting. When I use the calendar you can see Flights for 35k + 64 dollars on the calendar but when you click on the day it shows an error and no flights appear.
From the referenced post, emphasis added:

Sometimes you can use the "Calendar Trick" (workaround) to book these flights.
Again, this isn't the same issue as this thread is discussing. The AS award booking engine has behaved like this for a while. JAL award bookings at T-330 are problematic. It will clear up in a couple of days or so.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
From the referenced post, emphasis added:

Again, this isn't the same issue as this thread is discussing. The AS award booking engine has behaved like this for a while. JAL award bookings at T-330 are problematic. It will clear up in a couple of days or so.

thanks for clarifying. Will keep checking after the weekend and hope I can find some seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.