Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Lounge 2020 Cost Model

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Alaska Lounge 2020 Cost Model

I am debating if the new MVPG pricing for the Alaska Lounge makes sense for me in 2020. This is probably one of those question/decision where there are as many answers as users on this site... But here is my current debate. With the price going up $55, and the introduction of the $25 day passes with the AS Visa card, the math has moved a little for me. At $350/yr that is worth 14 day passes (importantly not visits, but days.) But this option only applies to AL, and not the broader network.

Now, as a Portland based traveler the value is a little less since PDX really is not that great of a space compared to if I were based in SEA. But I do use it 2-3 times a year with my immediate family. So thats a $100 benefit if I use the day pass pricing. (If that visit is worth it to me versus just posting up at Capers with the kids....) And then use it probably 10 more times as a business traveler. As a business traveler the benefit I also get is AA/UA lounges around the US (notably HNL and DCA for me.) Those I can't really purchase access to that make sense.

I don't usually fly on paid F so that access is not an option. (Maybe once a year.)

I can't really justify the AA credit card with AA/AL access since its more money and I am not sure I'd be able to take advantage of the other benefits.

Finally, there is a nice convenience aspect to the membership. Access is guaranteed (I believe day passes can be turned away, right?) and easy with the card/finger scan. So there is a non-tangible benefit there to consider.

I share this because I am curious how others are working through the decision. I don't think there is a right answer - but other perspectives would be interesting.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Regarding the AA credit card: with the pace at which the AA/AS partnership has been getting cut back, I'm not the only one who's worried that reciprocal lounge access will wind up getting cut in a way where they'll leave you in the position of holding the card, being partway through your AF cycle, and not having your reciprocal access, right? Or is there a reason not to worry about this scenario?
williwaw, Flying for Fun and Jma12 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I was in the same line of thinking with the increase to the lounge price, and the $25 day passes offered on the AS Visa... but I think I still get more value out of an annual membership because 90% of the time I travel, I bring 1 to 2 friends in with me. Now granted, they don't reimburse me for it financially but being able to to treat my friends to the lounge experience is a nice value in itself - so I guess I'll keep renewing for now.

Obviously if they split the lounge partnership with AA in the future, that'll really devalue the program. But AS already has some partner lounges that are either completely independent (The Club at LAS) or are with airlines that they have no flying partnership with (UA in PHX for example). So even with the flight partnership between AA & AS deteriorating, it doesn't mean that lounge partnership will go away... as long as whatever the deal they have worked out is mutually beneficial.
williwaw likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The math for me was simple. (# of times I fly per year in Y) X $25 = much less than the cost of the membership. Therefore, passing on it was a no brainer. As for them refusing to sell day passes, I've never seen it. I've often bought them when the "no priority pass" sign was out. That's not to say one can't be turned away...
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:31 pm

They also dropped the $50 “initiation fee” or whatever they called it. Which means you can basically sign up whenever you want rather than worrying about renewing in a set time. My membership expires at the end of October (currently gold), so I’m waiting until December to sign up again (when I’ll be 75k) to save $50!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nearlysober
I was in the same line of thinking with the increase to the lounge price, and the $25 day passes offered on the AS Visa... but I think I still get more value out of an annual membership because 90% of the time I travel, I bring 1 to 2 friends in with me. Now granted, they don't reimburse me for it financially but being able to to treat my friends to the lounge experience is a nice value in itself - so I guess I'll keep renewing for now.

Obviously if they split the lounge partnership with AA in the future, that'll really devalue the program. But AS already has some partner lounges that are either completely independent (The Club at LAS) or are with airlines that they have no flying partnership with (UA in PHX for example). So even with the flight partnership between AA & AS deteriorating, it doesn't mean that lounge partnership will go away... as long as whatever the deal they have worked out is mutually beneficial.
This is something of value for me too. I have clients and partners that I can treat to a visit as we travel together. It builds goodwill - so there is value (even if the IRS disagrees on its value as a deduction...) I think your points on the UA examples are important - I have suspected that the lounges are a pretty isolated business line for these airlines. They get some leeway to have partnerships that don't mirror the actual aviation side of the business.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nearlysober

Aren't there a few routes on which Alaska puts you on a United flight for one leg? And I'm not sure I see completely independent lounges as being totally relevant here.

But overall I do get your point.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Aren't there a few routes on which Alaska puts you on a United flight for one leg? And I'm not sure I see completely independent lounges as being totally relevant here.

But overall I do get your point.
Both UA & AS are in T2 in PHX. AS has a special agreement with UA since all the ACs are in T4 which is not connected airside.

James
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by ASA_1
They also dropped the $50 “initiation fee” or whatever they called it. Which means you can basically sign up whenever you want rather than worrying about renewing in a set time. My membership expires at the end of October (currently gold), so I’m waiting until December to sign up again (when I’ll be 75k) to save $50!
Be aware that if you rejoin within 90 days, it just counts as a renewal and the dates don't change. That was what I was told when I was going to go a month without joining since I wasn't going to have any travel.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Also Portland based, I had the same thoughts as my renewal is next month. But my wife travels with me about 50% of the time so that would be $50 each time and for me makes it far better to stick with the membership. I have seen on at least one occasion someone turned away in Portland while trying to buy a one day pass, if I remember right on a busy Monday morning.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Also Portland based, I had the same thoughts as my renewal is next month. But my wife travels with me about 50% of the time so that would be $50 each time and for me makes it far better to stick with the membership. I have seen on at least one occasion someone turned away in Portland while trying to buy a one day pass, if I remember right on a busy Monday morning.
Good to know about the day pass! Thanks for mentioning that. My wife was the one who pushed me to buy the membership so maybe that is my solution to the dilemma...
Waitlisted likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm with you. I'm an Alaska FF who currently holds an Admirals Club membership. I'm pretty confident Admirals Club will cut Alaska Lounge benefits next year, so I will be switching to Alaska Membership. To soften the blow the blow of the annual fee as MVPG, I'm going to buy the membership using my Hilton AMEX that comes with a $250 credit. Essentially reduces the cost to $100 which is a good deal.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

If AS cuts ties with AA admirals club, they’ll have to partner with somebody else to provide a national network of lounges. Alternatively they’ll have to significantly lower the membership fee. I wouldn’t be shocked if they partner with United, excluding locations that have AS lounges.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ASA_1
If AS cuts ties with AA admirals club, they’ll have to partner with somebody else to provide a national network of lounges. Alternatively they’ll have to significantly lower the membership fee. I wouldn’t be shocked if they partner with United, excluding locations that have AS lounges.
Partnering with United would seal the deal for me. In AUS we have AA, UA, and DL lounges. If the AA one becomes a non-option (I too expect this to happen), I am without a lounge in my home airport which would make the overall value of the AS Lounge membership drop significantly for me.

I am even considering moving to everything over to Delta. I love AS, I really do, but based in AUS they make heading anywhere but west a pain in the .... I can certainly rack up the miles flying to NYC via SEA, but I generally don't have the time for that and the cost gets crazy at times.

Interesting discussion but I am also on the fence on renewing.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I use AC membership. I have absolutely zero worries. The reciprocal access is important for both the carriers and not going anywhere. In fact, AS absolutely needs it in my opinion (or they can partner with UA or DL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.