FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Strange email: "more good things are coming to the Bay Area." (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1990361-strange-email-more-good-things-coming-bay-area.html)

worldwidedreamer Oct 7, 2019 11:45 am

Strange email: "more good things are coming to the Bay Area."

I don't get the email Andrew Harrison sent to Bay Area customers. Almost everything he says seems a contradiction, i.e. no updates on enhanced service (e.g. when the Alaska Lounge will reopen after the last one closed in 2013), a loyalty program bleeding partners (AA, AM, DL, LA...), and cut non-transcon destinations (ABQ, MSP, MCI, etc.).

While, to quote three different very positive recent posts from me, I'm basically a fan of Alaska...this email just seems antagonistic to us Californians.

Did it rub anyone else the wrong way?

"My name is Andrew Harrison and I lead the Commercial team at Alaska Airlines. The primary goal of our passionate team is to continue to earn your loyalty. We're responsible for expanding our route network, delivering a better value through low fares and a generous loyalty program, creating onboard products that delight you and much more. Over the past few years, Alaska Airlines has grown its presence in the Bay Area as we've built on the acquisition of Virgin America.

Personally, I have a fondness for Northern California. My wife Amy grew up in Mountain View and we spent a few years living there as newlyweds before relocating to Seattle. You live in an amazing part of our country and one that represents a huge priority for Alaska Airlines.

We want to provide you with a behind the scenes look at what we have been working on to better serve your travel needs. We will continue to update you as we make further enhancements to our service.

Thanks for flying Alaska.

Andrew Harrison
Chief Commercial Officer"

aCavalierInCoach Oct 7, 2019 11:51 am

SF based 75k here -- I didn't receive this, but would have the same reaction.

In some ways, I am guessing there is a genuine perspective at HQ that AS is well-loved in Seattle for what they created there, and they want to do the same in SF but will be doing so with a smaller, more west coast focused route network. Whether they can execute on that or whether the SF customer base will be receptive is an open question.

bon mot Oct 7, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 31602405)
"My name is Andrew Harrison and I lead the Commercial team at Alaska Airlines. The primary goal of our passionate team is to continue to earn your loyalty.

Personally, any business communication that includes the word passion goes straight to my trash.

Eastbay1K Oct 7, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 31602405)
I don't get the email Andrew Harrison sent to Bay Area customers. Almost everything he says seems a contradiction, i.e. no updates on enhanced service (e.g. when the Alaska Lounge will reopen after the last one closed in 2013), a loyalty program bleeding partners (AA, AM, DL, LA...), and cut non-transcon destinations (ABQ, MSP, MCI, etc.).

While, to quote three different very positive recent posts from me, I'm basically a fan of Alaska...this email just seems antagonistic to us Californians.

Did it rub anyone else the wrong way?

I didn't find it to be the most impressive of communications. I was surprised to see what a bunch of nothingness it was, as I went through the whole thing, including the mention of Oakland like an unwanted stepchild that is still loved. Ok, a bit dramatic, but still ...

I would prefer to think that it didn't rub me at all, as opposed to having been rubbed the wrong way. :o

sltlyamusd Oct 7, 2019 3:44 pm

Was that the entirety of the email? Don't think I learned a single thing apart from that his wife grew up in Mountain View.

Fredd Oct 7, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by bon mot (Post 31602927)
Personally, any business communication that includes the word passion goes straight to my trash.

I passionately agree, bon mot. ;)

Calculon Oct 7, 2019 4:00 pm

I think it’s unwise to expect a lot from a marketing message. Unwise to imagine they are promising anything reliably, or to expect they are telling the clear and unbiased truth. It would *definitely* be bad idea to use it as a basis for becoming offended, unless one enjoys being offended. In which case, have at it.

DrAlex Oct 7, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 31603241)
Was that the entirety of the email? Don't think I learned a single thing apart from that his wife grew up in Mountain View.

There is a link button at the bottom of the email to "See What's New". There was nearly nothing new on the page... The Bay Area Youth programs get a ^. If you read most of the AS FT threads, all the other things aren't new. And then there's some lipstick on a pig (looking at you partners section). And my initial snarky thought to the #FillBeforeYouFly was: 1) Wouldn't need to with proper PDBs, and 2) definitely going to #FillBeforeYouFly because the holding tanks are disgusting. Maybe I just have a Case of the Mondays.

be_rettSEA Oct 7, 2019 4:28 pm

Not in the Bay Area so didn't get the email, but to me, it's not much more than smoke up the @$$. Nothing of substance, no announcement or even hinting of any of the "more good things coming". Hey, maybe there's something really exciting coming, but right now it reads as "hey, please don't go status match to UA or DL! We're still trying to figure this all out and don't want to lose you in the meantime."

tom911 Oct 7, 2019 4:44 pm

I opened the e-mail a few minutes after I read about these "enhancements" on a travel blog, so does come across as a message without much substance:

The Seattle-based carrier will end two routes from San Francisco (SFO): Nashville (BNA) on Nov. 4, and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) on Nov. 3, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. Alaska will also end three routes from San Jose (SJC) in California: New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Orange County (SNA) on Jan. 6, and Tucson (TUS) on Jan. 5.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...cuses-on-west/

Didn't that SJC-JFK route come with the loss of one frequency SFO-JFK? Guess that didn't work for them.

The same blog and the Alaska e-mail tout increased SFO-PHX and SJC-PVR service, so guess we should be excited about those. I'm waiting for the day when they drop the entire east coast.

AKLifetimeFlyer Oct 7, 2019 5:22 pm

I heard they were restarting ANC-SFO nonstop? Could just be a rumor though.

Visconti Oct 7, 2019 5:31 pm

Ah, received it too and really didn't rub me the wrong or right way. I just skimmed it (generally, I don't like reading emails) and it seemed ok.

tom911 Oct 7, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer (Post 31603530)

It's on the schedule daily starting April 21, over 6 months away.

DrAlex Oct 7, 2019 5:33 pm

Inaugural Apr 21st:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b8d3fe955f.png

wolfpacktrojan Oct 7, 2019 5:34 pm

This was formally announced a while ago. Route starts on 4/21/20.