Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn miles with Ford GoBike

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Earn miles with Ford GoBike

As a San Franciscan bicycling is the most efficient way of traveling around town. Alaska has partnered with Ford to offer 10 RDMs per bike ride. The all you can eat GoBike annual subscription for $149 just got better.

Now, if the points are worth 2 cents/mile and each ride is 10 point...that implies twenty cents of value per ride. 149/.2=745 rides to break even. The program launched in September, and I'm averaging about 50 rides per month. Ergo 50*12=600 rides, so for someone with my usage pattern (to/from work) the miles pay for much of the program cost.

Now...when it comes time for renewal could I get double points paying for the GoBike with an Alaska Visa?

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:24 pm

I was just looking at this today and was curious about the monthly/yearly pass and how it affects earning miles. Is it still 10 miles per ride? Couldn't you theoretically abuse this a bit? Thinking about signing up for a monthly after trying out a Go+ today.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
For yearly pass, it's still 10 miles/trip.

Miles post instantly.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Maybe Alaska will jump in with Lime bike/scooter in the Seattle Tacoma area.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

Hmmm I might try abusing the system a bit...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine that I could start and end a ride fast enough for 20c worth of miles to be sufficient compensation. Have fun though.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So far I've earned over 10k points via this promotion. I've also lost 15 pounds. I'll book a one-way award to Hawaii whenever I hit that threshold!

I feel good about the environment, and dream about my vacation, with every segment on my commute.

Jma12 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
So far I've earned over 10k points via this promotion. I've also lost 15 pounds. I'll book a one-way award to Hawaii whenever I hit that threshold!

I feel good about the environment, and dream about my vacation, with every segment on my commute.

That's awesome! Obviously this is not abuse, but real usage over a few years.

You know that you can buy a ticket to Hawaii for around $200 right?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:13 pm

Hmm, that actually sounds like a worthwhile promotion.....usually I compare it to how many miles I can get if I use the same amount of money to just purchase miles and most just don't hold up.

I live 54 miles from work though, not sure if I would survive.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I'm a mile from work and I like to walk.

If I pay $150 you think that AS would give me miles for waking everywhere?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I can't imagine that I could start and end a ride fast enough for 20c worth of miles to be sufficient compensation. Have fun though.
That is correct. There’s a lock out of at least 60-seconds before you can check out your next bike. So even if you valued 10 RDMs at $0.20 (which is inflated IMO, but let’s just grant it), the absolute best you could do is $12/hr. The SF minimum wage is currently $15/hr...
ucdtim17 and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG
My company recently moved offices, so I signed up for monthly membership to BayWheels (what GoBike was renamed to) for my commute. I then saw the option to link my Alaska Air account after signing up, and obviously decided to see what the limits of mileage earning were.

I use the bikes to get from Caltrain to Embarcadero area, so I bike by at least 3 stations on that route, and can pass 6 or so with only slight deviations. So far I've gotten miles every time I dock and undock the bike.

Also, it doesn't seem like there is (or maybe they got rid of) a lock out period, because I have been able to immediately check out the same bike again. So it seems totally worth it to extend my commute a couple of minutes for an extra 100 AS miles or so per day. The deviations are also a bit of extra exercise I guess

Has anyone run into daily or monthly limited on miles?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freqflyercoll
My company recently moved offices, so I signed up for monthly membership to BayWheels (what GoBike was renamed to) for my commute. I then saw the option to link my Alaska Air account after signing up, and obviously decided to see what the limits of mileage earning were.

I use the bikes to get from Caltrain to Embarcadero area, so I bike by at least 3 stations on that route, and can pass 6 or so with only slight deviations. So far I've gotten miles every time I dock and undock the bike.

Also, it doesn't seem like there is (or maybe they got rid of) a lock out period, because I have been able to immediately check out the same bike again. So it seems totally worth it to extend my commute a couple of minutes for an extra 100 AS miles or so per day. The deviations are also a bit of extra exercise I guess

Has anyone run into daily or monthly limited on miles?
The service changed quite a bit with the BayWheels transition. I very much like being able to unlock bikes with a qr code versus typing in a pin, and it is much faster now.

I have not tried to misbehave by returning bikes after very short rentals to earn points---honestly I don't want them to revert to the old model where there was built in waiting. This said plenty of my rides are less than a mile.

I'll add that I'm a month or two away from being able to book a ticket to Hawaii just based on bicycling. How cool!

freqflyercoll likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG
nice! It's pretty good to have earned a free ticket from biking.

I didn't realize the system was pin based before, that would be a lot more annoying to check in and out. You can also use a Clipper and to unlock now, which could be even faster.

I find it strange there isn't some daily / monthly limit on miles earned through this...maybe they figure most people won't bother. I mainly find this worthwhile since I need to commute anyway, but I'm not sure that I would go out of my way to do this.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
The service changed quite a bit with the BayWheels transition. I very much like being able to unlock bikes with a qr code versus typing in a pin, and it is much faster now.

I have not tried to misbehave by returning bikes after very short rentals to earn points---honestly I don't want them to revert to the old model where there was built in waiting. This said plenty of my rides are less than a mile.

I'll add that I'm a month or two away from being able to book a ticket to Hawaii just based on bicycling. How cool!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Earning miles for riding a bike would almost get me back on one... almost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.