Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle Thunderstorms sept 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Seattle Thunderstorms sept 7

wow, epic. No landings for last hour. Cathay and EVA flights diverted to YVR, a bunch of AS flights to BLI and now a ton of others that were circling PDX are now landing there. Rough start to the week!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
It was indeed a crazy day of thunderstorms along the cascades today. It looks like GEG took several aircraft as well.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Still crazy lightning strikes north of Seattle. I’ve never seen a storm like this out here.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Looks like they are about to start landing again from the South in SeaTac. Huge groups of planes that were circling over Spokane and Prosser WA that are heading in to land now.

Best of luck to those who landed in the wrong state, or country, this evening!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tatia
Still crazy lightning strikes north of Seattle. I’ve never seen a storm like this out here.
yeah, much more reminiscent of t-storms we experienced in and around the other Washington
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:39 pm

It is getting serious in Seattle. Two hundred lightning strikes in less than an hour. How serious? The U.W./Cal football game is under a weather suspension for the past two hours, and the stadium evacuated. Sitting on metal bleachers is not recommended. Stay safe.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Landed around 10pm last night and waited 55 minutes for a gate.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

In my 33 years of living in the Seattle area..... we have never seen a storm like last night. I had pictures come off the wall from the thunder reverberations.....crazy.
The name is Bond likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVPGold
It helped me

I ended up being diverted to PDX which was my final destination. Saved 3 hours. Saw this morning that i would have been stuck if the flight hadn’t stopped at PDX.
chrisl137, missamo80 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I was coming in from IAH last night. We had been in a holding pattern and were told we might be diverted but finally landed intact at SEA. A bit of a wait on the tarmac for a gate but otherwise uneventful.

Bummed i wasn’t home photographing the lightning. The missus tells me it was spectacular. Even more bummed the Huskies managed to lose to Cal. Grrr.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond.
I live on Angle Lake, just 1 mile from SeaTac airport. I have never seen anything close to a storm like that in Seattle. Lived here almost my entire life. I was very thankful I was not in the air last night!!!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by The name is Bond
I live on Angle Lake, just 1 mile from SeaTac airport. I have never seen anything close to a storm like that in Seattle. Lived here almost my entire life. I was very thankful I was not in the air last night!!!
Hello, 'The name is Bond', and welcome to FlyerTalk! I hope you'll enjoy your time here, and I'm glad to know you were not in the air last night. I wasn't either; I was at home on First Hill enjoying the show from the ground.
The name is Bond likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cbrave
I ended up being diverted to PDX which was my final destination. Saved 3 hours. Saw this morning that i would have been stuck if the flight hadn’t stopped at PDX.
And if you were flying from YVR also saved yourself the more expensive non-stop!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
It must have been really bad because several SEA flights diverted to EUG to wait it out.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It was unlike anything I've ever seen, in Seattle or anywhere else I've been for that matter. I've never been in such an intense concentration of lightning strikes.

Being on approach to Seattle might've been the worst place to be... unfortunately I was in the 2nd worse place: Husky Stadium. The game was delayed for over 2.5 hours and didn't end until after 1AM... with a loss
Klrduks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.