EWR AS F/A yelling evacuate

Old Sep 2, 19, 11:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,100
EWR AS F/A yelling evacuate

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-14408085.php
boycruz is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,267
This illustrates the ridiculous of TSA. I thought they were supposed to screen people? If so, how would the men have a gun? Or bomb?
muji and Eurynom0s like this.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,267
Oh, and since we don't know anything about the men yet, let's see if the gate agent actually knew the most dangerous type of men in America. If these were 2 white men.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:36 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Neither here nor there
Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Posts: 1,599
The article says the two men were later allowed to board.
aroundtheworld76 is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:21 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Oh, and since we don't know anything about the men yet, let's see if the gate agent actually knew the most dangerous type of men in America. If these were 2 white men.
I know that speculation is the food for Flyertalk but I will wait until the facts come out prior to having an opinion.
Westcoaster, CREN and ajGoes like this.
JacksonFlyer is online now  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: EYW
Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 252
If this situation resulted in a missed connection or some other sort of travel misfortune based on this employee's apparently erroneous suspicion ( the threat boarded after) would Alaska have any liability? Not just on Alaska but any airline?
cayohueso is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,292
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
This illustrates the ridiculous of TSA. I thought they were supposed to screen people? If so, how would the men have a gun? Or bomb?
And the ridiculousness of this paranoid AS employee...over-reacting and inciting panic because she thinks she's an FBI field agent or something. She should have simply called the police if she really thought the two men were suspicious and let them handle it according to procedure. It's a wonder no one got hurt from a trip, slip, or fall accident during the chaos - those were the real dangers.
tusphotog, muji, dav662 and 2 others like this.
84fiero is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Posts: 1,602
The mods should probably change the thread title as well since it was a GA that pulled the fire alarm as they were about to board and yelled for pax to evacuate, not an FA.
dav662 and ajGoes like this.
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Does anyone have any idea what really happened? AFAICT, a GA freaked out over two men boarding for some reason and pulled the fire alarm.

Then they evacuated the plane. Is that the correct response for a fire alarm in a terminal?

Then somehow NYPD SWAT showed up? Wouldn’t that response have taken a while? I thought that the Port Authority handled normal policing at airports.

None of this seems like the normal response to a GA freaking out or a fire alarm, so she must have communicated something very specific to the police.
mauve is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,031
The linked SFGate article actually says that the fire alarm was pulled by an FA, but at the gate.
jinglish is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Posts: 1,602
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Does anyone have any idea what really happened? AFAICT, a GA freaked out over two men boarding for some reason and pulled the fire alarm.

Then they evacuated the plane. Is that the correct response for a fire alarm in a terminal?

Then somehow NYPD SWAT showed up? Wouldn’t that response have taken a while? I thought that the Port Authority handled normal policing at airports.

None of this seems like the normal response to a GA freaking out or a fire alarm, so she must have communicated something very specific to the police.
There are other articles (CBS New York, for example) online that have better detail than the SFGate one posted in this thread. From all accounts, it sounds like the vast majority of people were still in the boarding area, not on the plane. And it's a pax that uses the SWAT word, when the official quoted is Port Authority Police.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/09...es-terminal-a/

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
The linked SFGate article actually says that the fire alarm was pulled by an FA, but at the gate.
An earlier version may have, but it doesn't now.
84fiero and mildfrequence like this.
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Neither here nor there
Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Posts: 1,599
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Does anyone have any idea what really happened? AFAICT, a GA freaked out over two men boarding for some reason and pulled the fire alarm.

Then they evacuated the plane. Is that the correct response for a fire alarm in a terminal?

Then somehow NYPD SWAT showed up? Wouldn’t that response have taken a while? I thought that the Port Authority handled normal policing at airports.

None of this seems like the normal response to a GA freaking out or a fire alarm, so she must have communicated something very specific to the police.
Probably just a reporting error. The PAPD has jurisdiction and if they need mutual aid, it would likely come from Newark and Elizabeth PD well before calling for help from NY.
aroundtheworld76 is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:55 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,100
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
The mods should probably change the thread title as well since it was a GA that pulled the fire alarm as they were about to board and yelled for pax to evacuate, not an FA.
The airline employee tried to confront the men and then pulled a fire alarm, which led to the evacuation around 8:30 p.m., the authorities said. It was not immediately clear what had prompted the flight attendant to be suspicious of the men, who were later questioned by the police and then allowed to board.
boycruz is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Posts: 1,602
Originally Posted by boycruz View Post
The airline employee tried to confront the men and then pulled a fire alarm, which led to the evacuation around 8:30 p.m., the authorities said. It was not immediately clear what had prompted the flight attendant to be suspicious of the men, who were later questioned by the police and then allowed to board.
As already noted upthread, it's a reporting error implicating the action by a FA. FAs don't scan boarding passes at the Gate, only Gate Agents do.

"As alarms rang out inside an empty Terminal A unattended bags lay scattered across the ground. Around 200 frightened passengers left them behind as they fled the airport following verbal instructions from the gate agent."
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Sep 3, 19, 1:02 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 547
Still lots of unknowns and different points of views from articles. I'll save final judgement until a full report comes out but as a whole... it's better to be overly cautious these days. I think any final report will show that this was an over-reaction, everyone is on edge all the time these days... but you often hear survivors or witnesses after the fact talking about how something felt wrong, the person(s) were giving off bad vibes, acting oddly, etc... and no one intervened.

Maybe the FA/GA had a really strong sense of that? Plus one article says they tried to flee from the employee?
nancypants likes this.
nearlysober is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: