FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   EWR AS F/A yelling evacuate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1985682-ewr-f-yelling-evacuate.html)

Beltway2A Sep 6, 2019 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by smith80678 (Post 31499308)
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/alaska-airlines-newark-chaos

A horrifying experience.

Xue said he struggled to know how to respond as the questions from the employee became more bizarre. "How much are they paying you?" he said she asked him, not clarifying who "they" were. "Did they give you a visa? Did they give your family a visa? Do you make a lot of money? Do you work on Wall Street? Are you on an American visa?" Xue said she asked him.
Nobody deserves to be treated this way.

s0ssos Sep 7, 2019 12:43 am

Ah, basically another racist American attack (the agent). Makes sense.

For those who said the agent isn't at fault: so, I suppose you also believe all the people who go on shooting sprees in America are also not at fault?

s0ssos Sep 7, 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 31486533)
First of all, "See something, say something" doesn't work at all if you then criticize the person for acting. Speaking for myself I would much rather have someone err on the side of safety. Lets just say the GA let these people board and then some unfortunate incident happened in flight. We would all me sitting around criticizing the GA for her inaction. Why don't we wait for facts before we make conclusions.

The real "see something say something" would have been for a bystander to notice this agent and say something, stop her right then and there.
It makes me so mad that she gets off scot-free. You know, in California a man who had way more significant issues than her (was non-verbal) gets killed. She doesn't even get named.

I guess this is what is called "justice" in America.

zs58 Sep 7, 2019 12:42 pm

EWR - AS "racial profiling" and chaos

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-newark-chaos

Surprised this didn't hit the forum already. Obviously the article is somewhat one-sided (Alaska is not commenting), but given that the police did "get the guy" and later cleared everyone after realizing this was a false alarm, there had better be a damn good explanation and, if needed, major apology from Alaska for this.

mauve Sep 7, 2019 1:04 pm

I think it’s pretty clear that the two passengers are going to face much more serious consequences than the agent.

An arrest like this in the US will affect every future law enforcement encounter, employment opportunities, and could easily turn into an immigration issue too.

The agent, on the other hand, will see absolutely no consequences for her actions.

RoxyMountain Sep 7, 2019 1:13 pm

Wow, that is crazy.

A finance guy and a software engineer.......what did she think they were carrying? Illegal calculators?

halamadrid Sep 7, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 31501345)
I think it’s pretty clear that the two passengers are going to face much more serious consequences than the agent.

An arrest like this in the US will affect every future law enforcement encounter, employment opportunities, and could easily turn into an immigration issue too.

The agent, on the other hand, will see absolutely no consequences for her actions.

Please note that the two individuals were never arrested as there was no reason to. They answered questions from the police and then left. While that's still not pleasant to say the least, there's no actual arrest record for either of them.

s0ssos Sep 7, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 31501379)
Please note that the two individuals were never arrested as there was no reason to. They answered questions from the police and then left. While that's still not pleasant to say the least, there's no actual arrest record for either of them.

In the court of public opinion (ie The Internet) they have already been arrested and convicted. A google search may even tell you they were arrested (google is not very good at actually answering questions with its snippets).
But the agent's name is unknown.
Since the authorities are not going to do something (I am pretty sure a false fire alarm is illegal) they should just do it the American way: lawsuit. Alaska cannot have it both ways. Either they admit wrong and discipline their employee or they lose money.

s0ssos Sep 7, 2019 1:30 pm

Btw, one usually does not say 'no need to' when someone is innocent. For example, there is 'no need to arrest John for crossing on the green light in the crosswalk'.

zs58 Sep 7, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain (Post 31501366)
Wow, that is crazy.

A finance guy and a software engineer.......what did she think they were carrying? Illegal calculators?

It's a lesser point within this dumpster fire for Alaska, but I did want to point out the casual racism in her immediate assumption that the two men knew each other because they were both Asian. This sort of thing happens all the time and is usually not even worth noting as it's so common but within the context of this incident worth, I think, calling out.

mauve Sep 7, 2019 2:22 pm

In much of the US, any police detention must be reported as an arrest. I don’t know the rules in NJ, but do you really think the Port Authority isn’t sending a report to ICE?

muji Sep 7, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by zs58 (Post 31501514)
racism in her immediate assumption that the two men knew each other because they were both Asian.

And she asked them: "Are you on an American visa?", based on the assumption that if you look "Asian" then you could not be an "American", at least not a "real American".

boycruz Sep 7, 2019 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by zs58 (Post 31501514)
It's a lesser point within this dumpster fire for Alaska, but I did want to point out the casual racism in her immediate assumption that the two men knew each other because they were both Asian. This sort of thing happens all the time and is usually not even worth noting as it's so common but within the context of this incident worth, I think, calling out.

It also appears Alaska never reached out to them either until many days later
I dont understand why Alaska is not more proactive in cases like this
They seem to not understand how things look in the public opinion court

84fiero Sep 7, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31499804)
It makes me so mad that she gets off scot-free. You know, in California a man who had way more significant issues than her (was non-verbal) gets killed. She doesn't even get named.

I think it's too soon to say that she's getting off scot-free. It may take a bit of time for disciplinary or legal action to come to fruition.

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31501418)
In the court of public opinion (ie The Internet) they have already been arrested and convicted.

I haven't seen any articles or comments opining that the two men were guilty or even suspicious?

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 31501575)
In much of the US, any police detention must be reported as an arrest. I don’t know the rules in NJ, but do you really think the Port Authority isn’t sending a report to ICE?

There will be a record of the men being detained and questioned. But an arrest is a specific action, requiring a different level of cause on the part of the police and entailing different rights with the individual. It's clear that an arrest did not occur with these two men. Why on earth would a report be sent to ICE?

The FA's behavior was very paranoid and erratic. The rapid series of questions only loosely focused. Asking if they work on Wall Street is a total non-sequitur. The way she apparently bumped into the one man initially. The description of the incident sounds as if she was parroting lines from some B movie. It sure sounds like she has some sort of mental disorder involving paranoia among other things. An FA in their right mind who was racist and wanted to cause problems for someone, would have known more subtle and rational ways of doing so. Someone thinking clearly would not have shouted to evacuate and pulled the alarm.

A family member has bipolar disorder along with other things. She sometimes accuses friends, family, or strangers of plotting against her, or of having stolen items from her. It's totally random and unpredictable.

Of course a person can be racist and also have mental disorders. But if this FA does have serious problems that include paranoid delusions and manic behavior, it may be more complicated than how it appears on the surface. Or not. None of which makes what she did OK obviously, whatever the root cause(s). And if she does have such issues that aren't under control with medication, then she ought not to be flying.

s0ssos Sep 7, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 31502201)
I think it's too soon to say that she's getting off scot-free. It may take a bit of time for disciplinary or legal action to come to fruition.

Hmm, as is the case with "white people"? You get to shoot and kill people and don't get arrested. "A bit of time?"

I haven't seen any articles or comments opining that the two men were guilty or even suspicious?

Well, hmm, let's see. If you google Han Han Xue you see a photo of an armed police officer. What do you think the takeaway from that is? How many people actually bother to read articles?
I don't know if you sincerely don't understand the court of public opinion. It really doesn't matter the truth many times after a lie has been told. For example, the boy wearing a MAGA hat in the DC rally confrontation.

There will be a record of the men being detained and questioned. But an arrest is a specific action, requiring a different level of cause on the part of the police and entailing different rights with the individual. It's clear that an arrest did not occur with these two men. Why on earth would a report be sent to ICE?

Hmm, did you not read about the Harvard freshman who wasn't allowed in because they looked up his social media posts, and friends had posted stuff? You think the government is "fair" to immigrants? Under the current administration you can basically be deported for anything. Even if false.

The FA's behavior was very paranoid and erratic. The rapid series of questions only loosely focused. Asking if they work on Wall Street is a total non-sequitur. The way she apparently bumped into the one man initially. The description of the incident sounds as if she was parroting lines from some B movie. It sure sounds like she has some sort of mental disorder involving paranoia among other things. An FA in their right mind who was racist and wanted to cause problems for someone, would have known more subtle and rational ways of doing so. Someone thinking clearly would not have shouted to evacuate and pulled the alarm.

A family member has bipolar disorder along with other things. She sometimes accuses friends, family, or strangers of plotting against her, or of having stolen items from her. It's totally random and unpredictable.

Of course a person can be racist and also have mental disorders. But if this FA does have serious problems that include paranoid delusions and manic behavior, it may be more complicated than how it appears on the surface. Or not. None of which makes what she did OK obviously, whatever the root cause(s). And if she does have such issues that aren't under control with medication, then she ought not to be flying.

I guess the question is whether you buy the excuse for people's racists outbursts.
https://viewfromthewing.com/2019/09/...itish-airways/
Another blogger commented:
"These stories are so sad, because they are so unnecessary. Whether you believe his punishment fits the crime, is far too harsh, or not harsh enough, the catalyst was alcohol, even though the underlying sin was racism. Next time you feel like that extra drink in business class to “unwind” or “get your money’s worth” consider water instead. Because a few seconds of drunken range can ruin your career. Just ask Nelson."
I think the point is that most posters on FT (at least on this thread) don't actually perceive what she did as wrong. As evidenced by the lack of posting here after the truth comes out.