Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No VIP checked baggage handling on Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No VIP checked baggage handling on Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
As a 75K, when I do check a bag I’m standing at carousel longer than others without status because I get off plane first. It’s a challenge to wait for a single bag that comes off later and now I’m in line waiting for a car etc. I think prioritizing bags for elite requires very little investment by AS other than culture to handlers to prioritize elite passengers bags.

Good will often comes at no additional cost for your most frequent fliers.
I flew AS400 SEA-LAX last night. All bags were on the belt in 18 minutes. AS a 75K. I think that is great service and for non-status flyers even better. Fly AA with a priority tagged bag and hopefully the first of the priority bags start hitting the belt before 30.
James
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Or collect enough compensation miles for a free CX/JL flight to Asia. Only 20 certificates required. One poster has already collected 30K this year.

As per the "derailment," I could fill a thread with how I despise WS and boycott them. They are the epitome of hypocrisy. Enough said.

Back to VIP checked bags.

James
I flew AS400 SEA-LAX last night. All bags were on the belt in 18 minutes. AS a 75K. I think that is great service and for non-status flyers even better. Fly AA with a priority tagged bag and hopefully the first of the priority bags start hitting the belt before 30.
James
35k now after yesterday's collection as noted in the BSG thread and yes, with UA it's more like 40 minutes (with priority orange tags). AS has the best baggage handling service of any carrier flying, hands down.
AS Flyer and jjmadison like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
For those who frequent elite heavy flights... what happens when half (or more) of the planeload has a priority tag?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, UA Silver, DL Plat, AS MVP, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
For those who frequent elite heavy flights... what happens when half (or more) of the planeload has a priority tag?
Depends, on United the priority bags just come off whenever but at least they usually make the flight. With Delta, the priority tagged bags come out first and then the non tagged bags generally all within 20 mins.

The absolute best thing though is on RJs where you have to gatecheck a bag, United gives 1K & GS a special baggage wrap and those bags come out first everytime. It has made a huge difference in making flights I likely would have otherwise missed. Not much of an issue for Alaska though.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
James
Good does not preclude better. These are not mutually exclusive options. Alaska could do both.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Good does not preclude better. These are not mutually exclusive options. Alaska could do both.
Exactly. Alaska already has the "get them out in 20 mins or less" down. Now sequence the VIP bags first so we wait even less time. They could do both, but Alaska clearly doesn't see the value and won't.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Exactly. Alaska already has the "get them out in 20 mins or less" down. Now sequence the VIP bags first so we wait even less time. They could do both, but Alaska clearly doesn't see the value and won't.
So, if Alaska delivered every bag on the plane within five minutes, would the elite flyers complain because they didn’t get their bags in four?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Sequencing takes time, it is not an automated process. Are you prepared to drop off your bags earlier for sorting and placement in the hold?

Alaska sees better in a guarantee and compensation when not met. Would priority delivery of Elite bags be better than a 20 minute guarantee? Should 75K get delivered before Gold & Gold before MVP? Should revenue prioritize over awards. All paid F before Elite Status or Elite Status F, non Elite F & then Elite on the remaining. Should MMs get hand delivered to an arrival lounge. Should Partner Elites get theirs first or last? How would they be tagged for priority when connecting from another airline? Where do golf bags, skis, bicycles & surfboards fit into the mix? If a hold is full, what gets left off, a 75K bicycle or an MVPG suitcase? Would you whine if you didn't get your free flying wine? Does misconnected or delayed luggage go on first potentially causing an overload or does it continue to be delayed.

Not quite as simple as "I am an Elite, I want my bags first" It sounds a lot like "I want my cake and eat it too."

James
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 19, 2019 at 1:07 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

So, if Alaska delivered every bag on the plane within five minutes, would the elite flyers complain because they didn’t get their bags in four?
This is FlyerTalk. Of course we would!
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Actually good is often the enemy of best
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
I've seen this, on JL. I was in business, and it seemed like half the bags came out before mine came out ("first-class tags", mostly due to status because there aren't that many seats in first).
But it was very orderly, something JL would do. As in none of the bags coming out before mine didn't have a special tag on.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are all missing the point. Yes, I get my bags fast, but without the priority tags, how will my fellow travelers know that I'm important?

I like the brightly colored ones so they can be seen at a distance.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think you are all missing the point. Yes, I get my bags fast, but without the priority tags, how will my fellow travelers know that I'm important?

In that case you should just buy Gucci fabric and wrap your bag in that. That is the only way to get everybody else to know you are important.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have had enough priority tags over the years, in various pretty colors, to know that they are frequently nothing more than decorative future landfill, or have been damaged or destroyed en-route. As I post this, I currently have a priority tag from another airline adorning my checked baggage which should now (or soon) be in the custody of AS. We shall see, upon arrival, if my luggage is more speshul than others. I certainly hope so, because it will be my first AS flight in years when I am a lowly MVPG.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I put reflective ankle straps (intended for running or cycling in the dark) on the handles so they stand out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.