Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I hope you are correct about first. What about Premium. What please is your reference for that assertion that there is no charge for any beverage in First?

I ask because that is NOT what pcoll mentioned and is listed here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink emphasis on /first-class/food-and-drink.
It is a little odd that they have a price listed for premium cocktails under the info for First Class beverage options, but I'm guessing it's a copy/paste oversight from the Main Cabin page.

At the top of the First Class page, it says this (bolding mine), so I would guess no changes are planned (not to mention what an uproar and negative press that would cause):

First Class drinks

As a First Class guest, your drinks are on us. Settle in and relax with one of our drink options. Crack open a craft beer or wind down with a glass of West Coast wine. Enjoy a sparkling beverage or a perfectly steeped cup of Teavana® full leaf tea.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:32 pm

I hope you are correct about first. What about Premium. What please is your reference for that assertion that there is no charge for any beverage in First?

I ask because that is NOT what pcoll mentioned and is listed here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink emphasis on /first-class/food-and-drink.
Reference for the assertion that there is no charge for any beverage in First?

Perhaps if one had never stepped foot on an AS flight, or were unfamiliar with the concept of domestic F, the question may only raise mild suspicion.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
There is no charge for drinks in first class. Its an error on the website. If you look on the main cabin page:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink

All Main Cabin beverages are available as complimentary Premium Class drinks (where beverage service is normally served.)
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Red L
It is a little odd that they have a price listed for premium cocktails under the info for First Class beverage options, but I'm guessing it's a copy/paste oversight from the Main Cabin page.

At the top of the First Class page, it says this (bolding mine), so I would guess no changes are planned (not to mention what an uproar and negative press that would cause):

First Class drinks

As a First Class guest, your drinks are on us. Settle in and relax with one of our drink options. Crack open a craft beer or wind down with a glass of West Coast wine. Enjoy a sparkling beverage or a perfectly steeped cup of Teavana® full leaf tea.
I agree it is a possible a copy and paste. I wish that webpage said "As a First Class guest, ALL your drinks are on us". So, with the $7.50 price for premium beverages listed in that webpage for First Class it is also possible that another reduction in services policy is about to be unleashed.

Part of an implementation plan: 1. Post it. 2. Sell the tickets. 3. Wait. 4. Implement the charge. 4. Point to the webpage when customers complain and say "you got what we said"

On the anniversary of Apollo 11, charging for drinks in First and Premium would be One Giant Step In The Wrong Direction.

And couple that with what I know from experience, just because I got a certain snack, meal, or drink yesterday, doesn't mean the policy isn't changing.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite

I would have thought that the weather's a bit cold for a vineyard to flourish. Perhaps a few locations further south have a BC-like climate where a west-facing slope gets sun and an early frost gives nice ice wine.
This echoes what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Does AS serve Alaska wines or not?

BTW, I've had some nice Chardonnay from BC, although I'm not a fan of the (overpriced IMO) ice wines from around Niagra Falls. I'm told that almost every state in the USA produces wine now, for better or worse. OTOH, if England can make wine, so can most USA regions that we don't consider to be natural places for wine.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:38 pm

I agree it is a possible a copy and paste. I wish that webpage said "As a First Class guest, ALL your drinks are on us". So, with the $7.50 price for premium beverages listed in that webpage for First Class it is also possible that another reduction in services policy is about to be unleashed.

Part of an implementation plan: 1. Post it. 2. Sell the tickets. 3. Wait. 4. Implement the charge. 4. Point to the webpage when customers complain and say "you got what we said"

On the anniversary of Apollo 11, charging for drinks in First and Premium would be One Giant Step In The Wrong Direction.

And couple that with what I know from experience, just because I got a certain snack, meal, or drink yesterday, doesn't mean the policy isn't changing.
The website has been like this for years. Relax.
jerry a. laska and Major G like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by fly18725
Reference for the assertion that there is no charge for any beverage in First?

Perhaps if one had never stepped foot on an AS flight, or were unfamiliar with the concept of domestic F, the question may only raise mild suspicion.
So no reference other than past experience. Okayyy.

I want it to be a mistake on the webpage too. And I want a pony.

No need for one be overly suspicious. Every-one should be.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pcoll
Currently on AS site, under First Class Food and Drink. Oregon winery offerings..Sokol Blosser Evolution Lucky #9 White and Sokol Blosser Big Time Red. One item on page that jumps out. Premium Spirits has price attached - $7.50 -followed by description of those available. Beers available with no price attached. AS can't possible be considering charging F passengers for cocktails or premium spirits consumed onboard.?
Sokol Blosser Evolution wines are really quite excellent - Delta was serving their white as one of the Delta One options a few years back, and I liked it so much I started buying it at home, which is a rarity for me.

Sounds like the Q2 California Chardonnay was a miss (and would have been for me as well - big cheap oaked California Chardonnay is awful and almost made me think I hated the varietal), but if this is an accurate wine list the Q3 choices should be significantly better.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This echoes what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Does AS serve Alaska wines or not?

BTW, I've had some nice Chardonnay from BC, although I'm not a fan of the (overpriced IMO) ice wines from around Niagra Falls. I'm told that almost every state in the USA produces wine now, for better or worse. OTOH, if England can make wine, so can most USA regions that we don't consider to be natural places for wine.
The problem with BC is price/performance. BC has some of the worst protectionist policies on wine, and as a result they can overcharge by a ton; they don't end up exporting a lot, and the local market is propped up by an obscene 85% importation duty on any foreign wine. So the local swill can be twice the cost of foreign wine and still "competitive" in their marketplace. There are some pleasant enough wineries to visit in the Okanogan, but you're going to get far, far more for your dollar in the US on anything except ice wine.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Red L

First Class drinks

Not to change the subject too much, but I've never seen an airline able to get the water to a rolling boil for a "perfectly steeped cup" of any brand of tea. Instead, the water is perhaps 180F, which doesn't get the tea properly steeped... Hence, I avoid tea onboard, even on BA/VA.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Canned meat would also help save galley space so for those looking for bigger portions of meat in F, perhaps spam will be the next cost cutting/space saving enhancement.
You know who used to serve canned sparkling wine? VX. Sofia from the Coppola winery.
AS Flyer and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by CDKing
There is no charge for drinks in first class. Its an error on the website. If you look on the main cabin page:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink
I am hoping that my understanding of this means that I can request wine from Y. Most of the time, this option would be preferable.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You know who used to serve canned sparkling wine? VX. Sofia from the Coppola winery.
Yes, and it was pretty decent. Now we have House Wine from Walla Walla.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:21 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I'm surprised they are drinkable at all, given the ticket price revenue etc. even in 1st class, compare that to what the big three can for business/first on international revenue. I'd not expect anything fancier than 10-15 retail, right there with the cheapest Costco stuff.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'm surprised they are drinkable at all, given the ticket price revenue etc. even in 1st class, compare that to what the big three can for business/first on international revenue. I'd not expect anything fancier than 10-15 retail, right there with the cheapest Costco stuff.
$10-15 wine is mostly perfectly drinkable these days. We know a lot more about how to make it than the days of Gallo and Ripple.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ine-180962783/

In fact for most people, you could put $10-15 wine in a bottle with a $50 price tag and compare it with the SAME wine in the original bottle, and they would score the more “expensive” wine better.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0814092949.htm
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 20, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.