Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA/AS Partnerhip Rumored to Be Further Gutted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/AS Partnerhip Rumored to Be Further Gutted

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
... and no mention of AA Admirals Club access in the price increase email we got this morning....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Being honest, AA has never really cared about the PNW for its entire history. They maintained a large hub in SJC including service to NRT and then went on to completely dismantle it. Even bread and butter routes like SFO/LAX-MIA are getting eaten up by B6 Mint and DL/B6 have reduced AA's clout on LAX/SFO-JFK. AA has pulled out of JFK-SEA all together so not sure how much they really care about the West Coast at this point.
I can guarantee you that QF/JL/BA/CX do care about the US West Coast outside of LAX and are likely fine with continuing to be friendly with AS. Maybe if AA had done what DL did in in SEA in some other West Coast market...
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
... and no mention of AA Admirals Club access in the price increase email we got this morning....
Losing access to the AA clubs would mean a reduction of 72% of domestic US lounges (43 of 59). Alaska Lounge simply cannot stand on it's own at the rate they change (previously or future)... they either will have to retain the lounge partnership or find a new partner with a good lounge program.

Lounge partnerships almost seem to operate regardless of flight partnerships... I mean we have access to random United Lounges. I'm guessing they're run as separate business units and as long as the relationship is mutually beneficial to each entity, they'll continue.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
They maintained a large hub in SJC including service to NRT and then went on to completely dismantle it.
AA actually dismantled its SJC hub twice: once after the1987 AirCal acquisition and again after the 1999 Reno Air acquisition. For what it is worth, Delta now calls SJC a focus city.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can guarantee you that QF/JL/BA/CX do care about the US West Coast outside of LAX and are likely fine with continuing to be friendly with AS. Maybe if AA had done what DL did in in SEA in some other West Coast market...
Let's deal with AA/AS first AA doesn't have the financial leverage over its partners that DL has with their equity stakes and OW ties are much looser between member airlines than the other alliances so AA being dropped likely won't impact the other partners. AA seems a bit lost with their overall strategy as it is so they would be better off concentrating on coming up with their own plan rather than worrying about what its partners are doing.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
AA cut B6 off before turning to AS.
Huh? AA and AS were close partners for many years before B6 was even founded.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
Huh? AA and AS were close partners for many years before B6 was even founded.
"Close" is a relative term. DL/NW and AS were closer and AA had both B6 and AS in recent years. DL dropped AS, AA dropped B6, which left AS as AA's only domestic partner. Now it is looking like AS will be gone too.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
but that the AL was still 30% less than the other lounge memberships with 60-70% less lounges than the others.

so.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I don't want to rain on a spirited the-sky-is-falling discussion, but here's a bit of history for perspective...

Originally Posted by dayone
AS' relationship with AA goes back almost over 40 years, to the days of interchange flights. Those bonds are far stronger than those with DL.
Also, let's remember that AS is investigating a limited membership in oneworld.
JacksonFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don't want to rain on a spirited the-sky-is-falling discussion, but here's a bit of history for perspective...

AS' relationship with AA goes back almost over 40 years, to the days of interchange flights. Those bonds are far stronger than those with DL.
My first thought was... that was a different AA. Turns out CDKing had the same thought in that other thread.

I am not convinced that current AA management is necessarily influenced by decisions made by very different management as long as four decades ago. If they perceive that it is in their (short term?) interest to modify (cull) the relationship, I have no doubt they will pursue it. Then again, I am not convinced that it is in their best interest.

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

My first thought was... that was a different AA. Turns out CDKing had the same thought in that other thread.

I am not convinced that current AA management is necessarily influenced by decisions made by very different management as long as four decades ago. If they perceive that it is in their (short term?) interest to modify (cull) the relationship, I have no doubt they will pursue it. Then again, I am not convinced that it is in their best interest.

Of course, the fact AS and AA codeshared, before codesharing was a word and before deregulation made B6's existance possible won't matter to HP management, but it does put to rest the idea that AA turned to AS after B6.
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Indeed. And for much of that period, the partnership was rather limited. Admirals Club access was only from around 2015, expanded codeshares from 2013, and some elite reciprocity (that ended 2018) from only around ten years ago.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I agree that the new boss is not the same as the old boss. They do, however, sometimes eventually embrace "old" ideas that they initially rejected (e.g., the three-class A321T and F on the 77W).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well, if the experience with DL is any indication--remember DL also forced AM/KL/AF to also cut ties. Perhaps AA will not be as vindictive as DL though.
DL has never played well with others.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Well, if the experience with DL is any indication--remember DL also forced AM/KL/AF to also cut ties. Perhaps AA will not be as vindictive as DL though.
At least with respect to QF, a condition of the QF/AA joint venture approval was that the partnership is not exclusive, ie AA can not prevent QF from continuing their partnership with AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.