Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS service reductions. Mediocrity by a thousand cuts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

NotReallyPDB disease is spreading like cancer into the in-flight service.

Service was super slow in Premium and in First. And when service finally started, the food and drinks were substantially less than what has been usual during recent years and recent months.

The June 16 2019 version of the Welcome to Premium brochure describes services. Included are descriptions of food and drinks. "Feel Free to Indulge". However, it is describing limits on services. There is a description of a 1.5 hour flight min threshold for some foods.

In that brochure, there is no minimum flight time described for the beverage selection. So based upon past experience AND the new brochure, I would expect the normal drink selection.

On a familiar route, when in-flight service finally started in Premium, only beer, wine, juice, or water was offered. For snacks, only one item. Nothing else allowed.

2 other passengers were really unhappy and commented to other passengers about the slow service and very upset with the limited drink selection. The Flight Attendant said the reason for the limited offerings was because the short route. In my experience, that is unbelievable.

Evidently, food and drink is something that Alaska Airlines is rationing and customers need to consider this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is no secret that AS has been cutting costs and has either shrunk or very slowly grew in each month of 2019 thus far. At the same time, you have to ask--is this route a competitive one? If it is either not competitive or the competition is offering the same or less service, then management must feel they have little to lose. Better to cut costs while keeping service at or slightly above the competition than make cuts which would lead to defections which impact the bottom line. Mediocre is what most airlines aim for--giving just enough to avoid people jumping to a competitor or give up on flying all together. How many airlines in the US are offering anything extraordinary in coach on a one hour flight?
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

It would be helpful to share what route this is. Others may have insight into whether you experienced an anomaly or permanent change.

Catering errors due happen. I had a smoothie today in the little plastic cup that used to substitute for the nut ramekin. The other day, the snack basket had only bananas and pop chips and the FA threw in more snacks from the back.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Service cuts are the norm these days across carriers, both US and international.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Just flew SAN-SJC-SAN (Premium in one direction, F in the other) and service was just as good as it’s always been. Multiple refills in F despite being in the air for less than an hour, and we had at least 5 options for snacks. About as good as it gets for an hour long flight. My one complaint is that since they transitioned to A319s on the route from E175s, there are less F seats!
sltlyamusd and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
While I agree with you that some cutting has taken place, I'd also point out that, at least in my experience, the flights that DO get good catering (like mid-cons) have actually increased in quality, if not quantity, of food.
I've been very, very pleased with the food on DFW-SEA the past several times I've flown it. And, come to think of it, that includes DAL-SEA, which has been operated by either SkyWest or Horizon for my flights... food was up to mainline standards on those trips, too.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Legend717
I've been very, very pleased with the food on DFW-SEA the past several times I've flown it. And, come to think of it, that includes DAL-SEA, which has been operated by either SkyWest or Horizon for my flights... food was up to mainline standards on those trips, too.
Having come from VX with LAS-DAL being my primary route, I've been flying AS monthly from PHX/TUS to "West Coast" then to/from DAL from the beginning.
The DAL flights started being the same as a mid-con, but around the start of 2019, all DAL flights were reduced from a full mid-con meal to a (hot) sandwich or protein plate service.
At first, assumed it had had something to do with the new SJC/SAN markets, but finally had a DAL/SEA dinner flight that was the same. Those sandwhichs were tasty, but got old fast, particularly when I had the same on my TUS/PHX to/from West Coast connection.
It's been a few years since I've done DFW to/from SEA, but it was a full service and digi-players.

I love AS, but it has been a slow series of cutbacks for me since the VX merger ... both on-board services and my convoluted options to try and support non-WN flights to DAL.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by steve64

I love AS, but it has been a slow series of cutbacks for me since the VX merger ... both on-board services and my convoluted options to try and support non-WN flights to DAL.
You have your answer right there. If you want F or premium class and you are going to DAL what are your other options? There are none. Obviously the only carrier AS has to compete with is WN so they could give 3 small bags of pretzels in first and still offer more than WN...LOL.
Red L likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:32 am

If it’s a very short flight as you described I don’t think a smaller food selection is beyond realistic expectations. What time of day was your flight?

slow service on the other hand is never excusable, especially in F.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by fly18725
It would be helpful to share what route this is. Others may have insight into whether you experienced an anomaly or permanent change.

Catering errors due happen. I had a smoothie today in the little plastic cup that used to substitute for the nut ramekin. The other day, the snack basket had only bananas and pop chips and the FA threw in more snacks from the back.
I suppose that a catering error or anomaly is possible. However, I have flown this route more than 20 times per year for years. So I am somewhat familiar with the baseline or usual service. And I know the decrease in service and the increasing foot dragging. Additionally, the Flight Attendant told me this minimal drink and food selection was the new service standard in Premium. So, I was told this is a permanent change. I'll update if I experience that the Flight Attendant was wrong and this below past standard service experience proves to be an anomaly.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASA_1
If it’s a very short flight as you described I don’t think a smaller food selection is beyond realistic expectations. What time of day was your flight?

slow service on the other hand is never excusable, especially in F.
Mid-day
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by steve64
The DAL flights started being the same as a mid-con, but around the start of 2019, all DAL flights were reduced from a full mid-con meal to a (hot) sandwich or protein plate service.
At first, assumed it had had something to do with the new SJC/SAN markets, but finally had a DAL/SEA dinner flight that was the same. Those sandwhichs were tasty, but got old fast
Really annoying to get the beef and cheddar sandwich or protein plate on the afternoon SEA-DAL flight since it doesn't fill you up and when you land in DAL, all the food places are closing up.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I suppose that a catering error or anomaly is possible. However, I have flown this route more than 20 times per year for years. So I am somewhat familiar with the baseline or usual service. And I know the decrease in service and the increasing foot dragging. Additionally, the Flight Attendant told me this minimal drink and food selection was the new service standard in Premium. So, I was told this is a permanent change. I'll update if I experience that the Flight Attendant was wrong and this below past standard service experience proves to be an anomaly.
Again, it would be helpful to share the specific route, at least so other members can understand the implication of new service standards.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
If you look back the past 50 years, yes there has been a steady decline in level of service; from food served on china in first to full meals in coach to what we have today. What I have noticed recently is the variability in service. I have long given up the expectation of a PDB and am surprised/pleased when it occurs and I thank the FA for taking the time to do it (even if it should be an expectation). However the way first is managed is pretty much free range. You have FAs take drink orders prior to departure and those who wait till the 10K chime goes off. You have some that serve multiple rows their drinks while other do it two seats at a time. There was one time the FA served the first drink with the meal (was not happy with that). However, my overall experience with the FAs and their service have been great; some might be slow to start but are attentive during the entire flight once things got going and then those that are attentive at start and seem to disappear for part of the flight....but the overall experience, for me has been fine. I am sure the bean counters nit pick here and there but I think this is a constant "creep" for all airlines, not just AS. I have been blessed with upgrades this entire year and have flown in Premium only twice so I cannot really comment on that service this past year.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I mostly fly transcons and up and down the west coast. While I have seen some spotty service I have seen better food in first and no real changes in premium. It is common on shorter non-Horizon flights (such as SEA-GEG, SEA-PDX) to limit beverage service, although they do manage multiple rounds in first on those routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.