Wiki Posts
Search

Row 1 no bag on floor but dog is ok!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Row 1 no bag on floor but dog is ok!

I really do not know why this is allowed and my laptop bag is not!

The response from Alaska when I asked was :
'Bags can fall or slide around hitting and injuring passengers. Where as animals who are trained, unlike luggage, can remain seated or lied down'

watersign likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Take it up with the FAA, this has nothing to do with Alaska Airlines.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Take it up with the FAA, this has nothing to do with Alaska Airlines.
well the airline writes the policy which the FAA then approves. Then airlines use FAA as a crutch to deflect blame. This is why airlines often claim that bag size restrictions are FAA policy. They are, but it was the airline's policy to begin.
strickerj, watersign, MRM and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
only peripherally relevant, but ~2007 I was in an A seat on a Continental ERJ-145 (1-2 seating); the woman across from me had a very well-behaved standard poodle (she said he was trained to detect incipient seizures), probably slightly larger than this one, that tucked himself under the double seat and lay there completely unobtrusively for the entire flight
ATL10A likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:27 pm

Yes, please report it to the FAA.
Did Alaska certify the dog was trained? Doesn't seem like a service dog to me.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by manymanymiles
The response from Alaska when I asked was :
'Bags can fall or slide around hitting and injuring passengers. Where as animals who are trained, unlike luggage, can remain seated or lied down'
Did you respond, asking "Does that mean my well-trained toddler can sit on the ground then?"
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Must be an "emotional support" animal.
watersign likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
fake ESA
MRM and watersign like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Yes, but even I, a mobility impaired person who campaigns for the rights of those of us who are truly less able, think this is getting ridiculous. I love dogs but it I had to wait or try to climb over a large animal in a fire there would be hell to pay. No different that the hell to pay for someone holding me up while they take down their carry on from the overhead causing possible injury to others needing to evacuate the aircraft (the BA fire in Las Vegas was a testament to crew but sure not to many of the pax seen walking across the tarmac dragging their roll aboard bags). I see no reason why a person is not required to provide a letter from a state licensed medical provider and the animal to wear a vest stating its status when in the cabin and that vest needs to be issued by a government agency....not simply purchased online.

All that said, I think my much loved Irish Wolfhounds could become emotional support animals and join me in F soon....they are taller but no more "bulky" than that standard poodle! Okay, I jest...I have the IW's but wouldn't dream of putting another passenger in the position of having to climb over them even just to go to the toilet or even see my animal left behind because it is a true emergency and humans need to leave the plane without being put in jeopardy by an animal of the 4 legged sort.....there's enough difficulty with the ones of the 2 legged sort! I sit back waiting for the hail of bullets!

Edit.....you can buy an emotional support animal vest on Amazon for less that $20....go figure.

Last edited by kileysmom; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:07 pm Reason: left out a bit of information
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:24 pm

Wait, is this the airline that does not allow you to plug in devices when taking off or landing?
jjmadison and watersign like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:35 am

Why would you assume it is a "fake ESA". There certainly are people who abuse the system, but there are also many legitimate service animals, many who serve people with serious but invisible conditions.

As for why a service dog is allowed but a suitcase isn't, presumably a well trained dog can, and likely will get up and move on it's own in a emergancy.
AS Flyer, DrAlex, trooper and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:58 am
vgc

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Why would you assume it is a "fake ESA".
Because ESAs are not required to have any sort of training for it to be considered as such. All you need is a prescription from a licensed mental health professional, which means anybody can go to a licensed therapist and go, "I need my dog to be an ESA to help with my anxiety." And I know that a lot of people don't even do that, instead opting to just get an ESA vest off of Amazon.

Also, Americans have a weird obsession with dogs. If that had been an ESA pig or a miniature pony or a peacock, that person would have been roasted alive on this thread. Anytime you see a dog in public, off leash, in an area they don't belong, you'll get plenty of people go, "Awwwww, what a cute little doggieeee!!!!" If you point out that dog needs to be on a leash, or if dogs are not allowed in this space, or even if the dog seems nervous with so many people around, you'll get a shrug and a "But it's sooooo cute!!!"

"But dogs can be trained to get out of the way!!!" you may cry. First of all, how would you even train a dog to do so? I wouldn't trust an adult human to get out of the way if there was an emergency. And the vast majority of dogs aren't those well trained military dogs you see on TV. People seem to get this idea in their head that all dogs are hyper intelligent and are automatically trained to do anything. Newsflash, they're not.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by vgc
And I know that a lot of people don't even do that, instead opting to just get an ESA vest off of Amazon.
To be fair, simply bringing an animal with an ESA vest bought off the internet isn't going to cut it to qualify as an ESA on Alaska or most other airlines at this point. Alaska requires forms be completed and sent prior to travel, completed by a mental health professional. Sure, anxiety does qualify, but if I had a license to practice psychology or psychiatry, I'd maybe be hesitant to risk my license and complete these on a regular basis for someone I didn't feel truly needed their animal with them. Maybe others don't have the same ethics, but I don't agree with the 'FAKE ESA!' arguments many on here immediately assume without any knowledge of someone's mental health history.

If the animal is misbehaving, causing a nuisance or creating safety issues for other passengers, that's another story, but aside from that, it's really not anyone else's business. I don't particularly like traveling with infants seated nearby, but know they're allowed to fly with their parents and wouldn't suggest they shouldn't be. This is the current law, and while surely there are some who take advantage of it to avoid pet fees or having their animals travel as cargo, there are plenty who are helped by having their ESA travel in the cabin with them. If traveling with an animal in the cabin makes you uncomfortable, you could switch seats, or just fly private and know that you'll be fully comfortable and no dogs will disturb you in-flight.
trooper, pbelmore, DrAlex and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Definitely file a complaint with DOT and send a copy to its general counsel via snail mail.

The underlying issue is simply that the dog is an object which weighs enough to injure another passenger in turbulence. It has nothing to do with service animals, ESA's or pets.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
fake ESA
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.