Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

So - how did Aer Lingus awards come to replace all others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

It seems that US-Europe awards are only available on Aer Lingus these days. Business receptions are 280K miles each way. Is this a glitch?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I just looked and was given BA and AA options when looking at LAX-LHR, so there's more than Aer Lingus out there.

For more info. on the 280k EI redemption, and how to avoid it, you should review this thread:

Aer Lingus (EI) Awards and Redemptions
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zrs70
It seems that US-Europe awards are only available on Aer Lingus these days. Business receptions are 280K miles each way. Is this a glitch?
It is not a glitch but a feature. Seats are much more likely to be available at the 280,000 rate and therefore you will see Aer Lingus much more than partners which are only available when "saver space" is available. Until they work out the IT issues and the other partners move to this new system charging exhorbitant points rates in exchange for increased availability, you will be far more likely to find Aer Lingus space as other carriers severely limit partner availability on saver seats.
milypan, Kacee and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I just looked and was given BA and AA options when looking at LAX-LHR, so there's more than Aer Lingus out there.

For more info. on the 280k EI redemption, and how to avoid it, you should review this thread:

Aer Lingus (EI) Awards and Redemptions
Which AA transatlantic options are you seeing?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Which AA transatlantic options are you seeing?
These ones:

Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since when was AS ever a decent option TATL? Anytime you're relying on BA/AA for TATL awards, the options will suck.
milypan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Obviously I can't check, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that mixed itinerary symbol means F LAX-PHX and Y PHX-LHR....

These ones:

Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Since when was AS ever a decent option TATL? Anytime you're relying on BA/AA for TATL awards, the options will suck.
While I agree with you 99% of the time, there's always an exception to every rule.

AA nonstop for 22.5K and $19 is for my little Brother. He's never flown Biz, is amazed he doesn't have to change planes, and according to him, THIS IS AWESOME. ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
While I agree with you 99% of the time, there's always an exception to every rule.

AA nonstop for 22.5K and $19 is for my little Brother. He's never flown Biz, is amazed he doesn't have to change planes, and according to him, THIS IS AWESOME. ;-)
there you have it

once again, with feeling: we FTers are NOT AT ALL REPRESENTATIVE of the vast majority of the traveling population ... while it's certainly ok to quickly type a "THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS AND I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!" response, we need to take the proverbial chill pill, and seriously consider hitting "Cancel" instead of "Submit Reply"
98103 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:24 am

Even 22,500 plus fees is a very poor value on that route in the winter when paid flights are only $396 RT on Virgin etc. so if you find great value in flights that are worth less than 1 cent per point then more power to you.
channa likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Even 22,500 plus fees is a very poor value on that route in the winter when paid flights are only $396 RT on Virgin etc. so if you find great value in flights that are worth less than 1 cent per point then more power to you.
Not everybody lives near a hub & a gateway. Since you seem to be a self proclaimed expert on Canadian airfares and Canadian needs, please show me a $396 YLW-LHR return in the 1st week of November. Keep in mind, I boycott WS. The 22.5K AS redemption includes flight(s) to the partner gateway so make sure to keep the one-way at less than $225. Anxiously awaiting your reply. lol

Thank you!

James
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:17 am

...who cares about the needs of small town Canadians when the OP is trying to fly from the US to Europe and the example was about getting excited flying from LAX to LHR...LOL. Show me a non stop from YLW to LHR for 22,500 which you can get excited about. It doesn’t exit.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
...who cares about the needs of small town Canadians when the OP is trying to fly from the US to Europe and the example was about getting excited flying from LAX to LHR...LOL. Show me a non stop from YLW to LHR for 22,500 which you can get excited about. It doesn’t exit.
Expected reply, you certainly don't, that has always been apparent. Perhaps your research needs a little polishing. 2+ Million passengers from YLW isn't exactly small. I will leave it at that since you don't care unless it is AS negativity then you are "all-in!"

James
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Expected reply, you certainly don't, that has always been apparent. Perhaps your research needs a little polishing. 2+ Million passengers from YLW isn't exactly small. I will leave it at that since you don't care unless it is AS negativity then you are "all-in!"

James
You are missing the point and mention things which have no relevance to the thread. Non Aer Lingus flights show up less frequently because the other partners don't have last seat availability. Then as there are no flights to Europe from YLW, any availability for a connection is also completely irrelevant if the flight from the gateway to Europe is not available. Finally when you can actually find an elusive seat which either doesn't have the crazy BA surcharge or the Aer Lingus rates, the underlying fare is often so low that it is not worth using points--as in the case of LAX-LHR which AA often has a hard time filling with decent fares. It is simply the reality and as AS doesn't fly anywhere in Europe they are 100% reliant on the space other carriers give them whereas AC/AA/DL/UA etc have their own flights and can control inventory as they see fit.
Lake_Hood likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have no trouble paying the YQ fees/taxes from Europe-SEA as long as I can connect to the non-stop to SEA from LHR. The pain of connecting via PHL (no showers AA) or PHX (why on earth) or LAX (again, no shower) is not my cup of tea. The F product has improved by leaps and bounds on BA and adding 300 bucks to my flight is well worth the four hour wait to connect to a flight in ORD, JFK or some other airport where service to SEA (via AA or AS) often is mismatched with arrivals of the International flights on AA.

Finding a 57.5K award on AA to Europe is nearly impossible at this point, so I suffer through in coach. It's rough, but FL lounge access helps.

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.