Wiki Posts
Search

Enjoying my Alaska breakfast at 1:30pm

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do they go home at noon?
IIRC the SEA call center is only open during normal business hours M-F.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Whyyz
This "Breakfast served all day" trend at restaurants is annoying. What would really impress me is to be able to get regular food served all day. Why limit certain hours of the day to Alabama chickens and pancakes.
I agree. Why can't McD serve burgers at 9 AM?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by mvoight
Burger King does and I have gotten a chicken sandwich and fries at Chick Fil A in the AM on several occasions (had to wait while they cooked it fresh).
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would expect that (1) the breakfast items that are "served all day" are less intrusive to the production line than the (2) rest-of-day items served during breakfast service; and
(2) there are strong franchisee objections to the added cost v. potential benefit of such service. I would imagine that the typical kitchen setup isn't conducive to concurrent service in volume.

But then I might just be passing gas out of my mouth. But then I would expect that everyone would want to maximize sales and profits if burgers for breakfast made sense.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I like breakfast and hate waking up in the morning so all day breakfast works well for me. I'm not sure why I shouldn't eat bacon and eggs past a certain time of day.
You can, but then it will be lardons and poached egg on your frisée salad, and cost twice as much as "bacon and eggs."
nancypants and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by steve64
I just flew TUS-SJC-DAL. The TUS departure at 7:05am was a (shelf stable, catered in SJC the afternoon before) breakfast. A short layover in SJC and leaving at 9:50amMDT for an after 3pmCDT arrival in DAL, and the meal was breakfast.
It was close to 11am MDT when the meal was served, but this seemed strange to me. I chose the "breakfst sandwich" and called it "brunch". It was tasty. Bagel/egg/ham and I think applesauce with a side of fruit.
Isn’t WN the only airline that flies TUS-SJC? Might explain the catering.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You can, but then it will be lardons and poached egg on your frisée salad, and cost twice as much as "bacon and eggs."
That's actually one of my favorite salads.

I'm also a big fan of a burger with bacon and a fried egg on it. It's brunch...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer

Isn’t WN the only airline that flies TUS-SJC? Might explain the catering.
Nope. AS flies it once per day.
And WN wouldn't be serving breakfast ... shelf stable or otherwise
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Asking Alaska operations, and then a catering contractor, to first notice and then respond to an urgent catering change / addition, and then be able to turn it around and insert it into the schedule in a matter of hours? Are you kidding? When all these services are staffed to the minimum cost factor required to barely service the existing schedule?

There is a huge disconnect of understanding I would say. You need to understand the difference between businesses who make it their business to give the customer what they want, when they want. And then there are airlines.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TA
Asking Alaska operations, and then a catering contractor, to first notice and then respond to an urgent catering change / addition, and then be able to turn it around and insert it into the schedule in a matter of hours? Are you kidding? When all these services are staffed to the minimum cost factor required to barely service the existing schedule?
No, not kidding. I received e-mail notification at 5a.m. with a new departure time of 11:55. Assuming they want the food on board 30 mins early, that gave them 6.5 hours to make the change, perhaps even more than that if they knew about the flight delay before they notified me. Just don't think that's entirely unreasonable to allow for a menu swap.

If 6.5 hours wasn't enough for a change, could they make it at 8, 10, 12 hours, or are you saying "never"? Would breakfast be fine if the flight went out at 6pm?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:15 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm not saying never, but once the order has been made and is basically on the truck, what benefit could Alaska operations regard as so worth it to disrupt / change that order? They'd have to pay extra for that to be done too.

Now, I don't know whether that possibility falls in the 12+ hour window (and mind you, it depends on extra supplies being on hand at the caterer to even allow such a change, with extra procured meals available), but I'm pretty sure it is not 6-hours-doable.

I would say this wish falls in the "20 items down the priority list" category on Alaska's top concerns.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Earlier this year my AA 5:15 AM PHX-ORD became a 10:15 AM PHX-ORD after a number of delays. They swapped out breakfasts for lunch and went to people who had preordered breakfast to take their meal choices first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.