Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus (EI) Awards and Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It is also listed as Europe to Europe. Nice for those short-haul intra-Europe starting at 8K. Although it does say Europe Low but no disclaimer what that means.

James
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Pretty disappointing - spent 20 minutes poking around and nothing under 280K (which is an absurd number).
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:18 pm

Really? I see 60k in business on SEA-DUB open several days in July.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by DrAlex
It would appear after a little poking around that it requires at least U2 (nice joke EI ) in order to see a 60K saver ticket.
Most SEA-DUB flights far out on the schedule appear to be U1. These can only be booked with avios (approx 62.5k plus $150). Aer Lingus has typically been stingy with releasing partner award space in J so this isn’t too surprising.

The ability to book a revenue biz ticket for 280k is surprising, however. I’m not sure how I feel about that yet...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Just booked U business for 60K

I just changed a reservation Seattle to Dublin from American Airlines, redeye through Chicago to nonstop on Aer Lingus for early August, business 60K $19. I called the 75K desk to make the change. You have to call Aer Lingus to reserve a seat. I have been waiting for Mileage redemptions since they became a partner. Great to have more options, especially out of Seattle.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So the chart is now published, and it’s “dynamic” but not really, meaning that traditional awards (T and U) are 30K and 60K, respectively. Anything higher is revenue-based and is much higher, but it’s also not an award. So strange on AS’ part, but I guess their end revenue is higher in all cases, so it makes sense for them. An interesting tidbit is when the long-haul is U and the short domestic connection in Europe is revenue based, it appears that it still prices at 60K. That’s a good thing.

Hope this gives some insights. Ready to not get credit for this by the blogs shortly
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:57 am

And Europe low vs Europe high is the same thing—T class versus revenue classes will determine 8K or higher.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:27 am

One last note (sorry for the posts!): by doing this, AS will be able to match the antics of the other carriers by offering travel to Europe at peak (EI) times and still have offerings to give. It’s a smart move for AS and makes award travel usable (near) year round while still having pretty decent rewards at 30K and 60K without carrier imposed surcharges on EI.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:24 am

well, fun thing is that ADB being technically Asia is also redeemable at 8k, but some routes like TFS is practically impossible to find saver class space...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beyounged
but some routes like TFS is practically impossible to find saver class space...
DUB-TFS has loads of space

Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
DUB-TFS has loads of space

huh I must have been blind then... apologies.
it would be kind of fun when you can fly for nearly 10 hours for 8k, but that would not be my first airline of choice, hopefully the business class offered would make a difference soon.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Blog post on OMAAT, VTFW or someone on BoardingArea giving no credit to FT in 3...2...1...
Called it.

https://onemileatatime.com/redeem-alaska-miles-aer-lingus/
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yep, big time.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
...and the 280,000 points for a one way in J was not a mistake. Once other contracts with partners start to come up for renewal, I could see this coming to all the rest of the partners. You can get a seat nearly any time but you pay 4 or 5 times as much for the privilege. Empty flights might yield the "saver" rate while in demand flights just on AS will require a ton more points.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
...and the 280,000 points for a one way in J was not a mistake. Once other contracts with partners start to come up for renewal, I could see this coming to all the rest of the partners. You can get a seat nearly any time but you pay 4 or 5 times as much for the privilege. Empty flights might yield the "saver" rate while in demand flights just on AS will require a ton more points.
In its current form, this is not a bad thing. It's not about whether flights are empty or full, it's about whether the partner releases saver award space. You still have access to all the same saver award space at the same price. All this is is an additional option which you should really ignore.

It starts to become a problem if they start to do what they did with their domestic awards, where saver space has dynamic pricing based on which other fare buckets are available. I do agree that it's probably a slippery slope, and I could see AS (in the future) negotiating a dynamic rate for those saver seats -- and that would be the beginning of the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.