Wiki Posts
Search

Do you still earn points flying AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Do you still earn points flying AA?

I remember sometime ago there were talks about AA flights no longer earning points for AS as partner, can anyone confirm this?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I remember sometime ago there were talks about AA flights no longer earning points for AS as partner, can anyone confirm this?
AA domestic:-- no
AA international:- yes

Been that way for ~18 months
Link--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ry-2018-a.html
dannieboiz and safari ari like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA

Domestic AA flights can't, international can.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA

Domestic AA flights can't, international can.
Unless they are codeshare flights.

James
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Recent data point: I traveled on an AA itinerary which required short hop domestic flights to/from my home airport to connect to the international legs; only the international flights earned AS credit.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Domestic legs must have an AS code-share in order to earn AS miles.

The safest way to be sure you're going to get credit is to just book it through the AS website, it's pretty clear when a flight is valid or invalid codeshare.

For example, search for flights between SNA - PHX on 06/15 and you'll see the search results come up in the normal grid and the only options will be AA flights.
No red warning messages, no alarms going off, those are codeshare flights and you'll earn 100% miles flown on them.
You could even look up one of the flights, AA201 for example on Flightstats you can see its a codeshare as AS4660.

You could buy the flight through other venues I suppose - but you have to buy the codeshare AS4660 flight to get credit. If you go direct to AA.com and buy AA201 - I dont think you'll earn the miles.

That said.. it is possible to find flights on alaskaair.com that are not codeshare and will not earn miles. You can even get it to offer up Delta flights still sometimes. I can't remember any of the city pairings off the top of my head, but if your search returns only flights which are not eligible, you'll know it. The whole UI changes to a different results grid and there's a red warning message at the top of the screen informing you that the flights are not eligible.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Domestic legs must have an AS code-share in order to earn AS miles.

The safest way to be sure you're going to get credit is to just book it through the AS website, it's pretty clear when a flight is valid or invalid codeshare.

For example, search for flights between SNA - PHX on 06/15 and you'll see the search results come up in the normal grid and the only options will be AA flights.
Thank you for this! I'm fairly new to the game, and having you illustrate how to confirm whether it is a codeshare flight is quite helpful.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I can confirm that I flew AA (booked through AS) and I received credit.Activity dateActivity typeStatusMilesBonusTotalALASKA AIRLINES
Flight 4330 ORD DAYCredited2401,1351,375
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Dia; Langham Voyager; Marriot & SPG Gold; UA Gold; AA Plat
Alaska-newbie here:

Since my AA Plat status is expiring (and I've no chance of re-qualifying), I've been burning all of my AA miles and will be moving over to Alaska with a match in October.

According to the Alaska website, International flights on AA metal (and BA metal) are eligible to earn Alaska miles.

If I purchase an AA-metal LAX-LHR round-trip/non-stop itinerary via AA (or even via BA), I should therefore be eligible to earn AS miles, yes?
I ask because I've read of some people having issues with AS miles posting from AA flights.

Additionally, if I am crediting said AA metal flights to AS (reflected on boarding pass), can I still present my AA Platinum card with that boarding pass and gain entry to the Qantas/CX/AA lounges at LHR T3, or is that perk no longer available because I've chosen to credit the flights to AS?

Thanks very much for your help :-)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by yoganeck
Alaska-newbie here:

Since my AA Plat status is expiring (and I've no chance of re-qualifying), I've been burning all of my AA miles and will be moving over to Alaska with a match in October.

According to the Alaska website, International flights on AA metal (and BA metal) are eligible to earn Alaska miles.

If I purchase an AA-metal LAX-LHR round-trip/non-stop itinerary via AA (or even via BA), I should therefore be eligible to earn AS miles, yes?
I ask because I've read of some people having issues with AS miles posting from AA flights.

Additionally, if I am crediting said AA metal flights to AS (reflected on boarding pass), can I still present my AA Platinum card with that boarding pass and gain entry to the Qantas/CX/AA lounges at LHR T3, or is that perk no longer available because I've chosen to credit the flights to AS?

Thanks very much for your help :-)
If you book a intl AA flight then you will get EQM/RDM for the internation segment if your AS number is on the ticket. I have never had an issue with AA miles posting to my AS account, if anything they are the fastest partner that credits automatically.

You may want to look at this thread for your marketed and operated by both AS partners: Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

In terms of using your OWS status to gain access, that is more of a Oneworld question, but from what I recall you can show your card at OW lounges and should gain access, but this may be tricky since I know people with different OW FF#s that use their higher FF status to gain entry when their lower is on the ticket, not sure how it would work exactly with an AS #.
yoganeck likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Those issues generally arise because the flight will be ticketed by BA but operated by AA, or vice versa.

If you look at the AS miles earning chart for BA, you'll notice it lists "eligible flight numbers". The codeshare flights technically fall out of the qualifying range, for example a flight might be operated by AA, say AA108, and the codeshare for that is BA1540. If your ticket lists BA1540, meaning it was ticketed by BA, then AS can technically deny you credit because you'll notice BA1540 does not fall in the eligible flight number range, even though AA108 does and it's the same physical flight.

Basically you're only guaranteed credit when the ticketing and operating carrier are the same.

As mentioned above, this depends on Oneworld rules. AA specifically has been very strict lately about a section in their AAdvantage T&Cs that effectively says you can't pick-and-choose the benefits of two different FF numbers on the same itinerary. I don't think the other OW carriers care as much and if this is a QF/CX lounge they'll probably let you in anyway.
yoganeck likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Dia; Langham Voyager; Marriot & SPG Gold; UA Gold; AA Plat
Thank you, safari ari & sudobuntu, for your responses :-)

Last edited by yoganeck; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:19 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.