Wiki Posts
Search

PDX to NRT luggage issue

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
PDX to NRT luggage issue

Next month I am traveling from Portland to Tokyo on Alaska Air to Vancouver and then connecting to a Japan Airlines flight to Tokyo Narita. I am using separate tickets to YVR and then to NRT that are not linked. Will the staff at PDX check the bag through to Tokyo on Alaska's Partner, Japan Airlines? Or should I plan on entering Canada, retrieving the bag and then checking in with JAL in Vancouver and re checking the suitcase?

Has anyone had experience with this sort of issue?

Thank you?
Old May 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Frequent question here.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Travel that includes multiple flights

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.

If you will be in the connecting city for 12 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.

Travel that includes multiple airlines or tickets

If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.

When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Thank you
Old May 14, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm doing something similar in a couple of weeks.

SFO-JFK, overnight (10hr) layover on an AS ticket.
JFK-SEA-NRT-BKK on JL stock. JFK-SEA is on AS, the rest on JL.

I don't plan to get a hotel in NYC -- just head to Manhattan for few hrs, and back to the airport by 5 or 6 am. I'd rather not have my bags in NYC, of course.

Do I just explain all this at check-in in SFO? I assume it shouldn't be a problem. I have AS status, and the JL ticket is in business class so I have plenty of baggage allowance.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I don't plan to get a hotel in NYC -- just head to Manhattan for few hrs, and back to the airport by 5 or 6 am. I'd rather not have my bags in NYC, of course.

Do I just explain all this at check-in in SFO? I assume it shouldn't be a problem. I have AS status, and the JL ticket is in business class so I have plenty of baggage allowance.
Surely you can improve upon this itinerary.
tusphotog likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Surely you can improve upon this itinerary.
I tried but I just couldn't squeeze any more miles out of it..
Old May 15, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

You shouldn’t have any issue through-checking. It meets the 12 hr baggage requirement for international.

I’ve done similar illogical routings with checked bags and usually you just get a comment from the agent asking if you are crazy
Old May 15, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sturges

I’ve done similar illogical routings with checked bags and usually you just get a comment from the agent asking if you are crazy
Everyone on this site, including me, is a little bit crazy.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've done this (two separate PNRs) before, though with different airlines (AY & AA). When I did SEA-SFO-HND-HIJ (AS-JL-JL) on a single PNR a couple years ago, AS checked my bags from SEA all the way through to HIJ. So, I'm pretty confident JAL and AS have an interline agreement in place. Given that, it should be possible to check your bags through to the final destination with no need to reclaim at YVR. Just make sure you provide them the final destination (NRT) and the JAL PNR when they ask if YVR is your final destination. The baggage fees will be based on the prevailing rules, as eponymous_coward stated above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.