Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

U seats never available for long haul flights for MVP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP

Just wanted to confirm this before I quit trying but everytime I need to take a long haul flight on AS, there's never any U seats available regardless of how far out I book it. I think it's pretty obvious why since people are most likely willing to pay for the upgrades on the 3+ hours flight.

So really the benefit for MVP is the shorter ~2hours flight it seems
Old May 13, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
U fare availability is the same for all elites - the higher elite levels just have easier access to upgrades via instant booking at a few more/lower fare classes, Gold Guest Upgrade codes, and earlier processing of waitlist upgrades. In general, upgrades and U space are harder to come by on trans-cons/longer routes as some may be willing to buy cash fares (and Alaska knows this, so holds back F seats from upgrades until closer in). Lack of/availability of U space has been discussed in a few other threads, especially in those discussing GGUs (as U space is required to use them as well). I'd say keep trying/looking as you're booking flights, try adjusting your travel dates/times to off-peak days, or try for Gold or 75K status.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
What routes are you looking at? LAX-JFK, for example, has a decent amount of summer U space available.

There have also been several stories of MVPs being upgraded on Tcons in the last few months (originating from California).
Old May 13, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

example would be SJC to IAH with a stop in SEA if I remember corrrectly. SJC to SEA 99% of the time I get the U seat regardless if when I book but the leg from SEA to IAH is a no go for last week of june travel
Old May 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
example would be SJC to IAH with a stop in SEA if I remember corrrectly. SJC to SEA 99% of the time I get the U seat regardless if when I book but the leg from SEA to IAH is a no go for last week of june travel
Are you looking to use the MVP upgrade option when you purchase the ticket or hoping for an upgrade in the T-48 window? If it is the later, U space fluctuates and more can certainly open between now and the last week of June.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
If you are looking for using GGU, sign up for expertflyer -- AS normally releases U space at random times and unless you want to check the space everyday expertflyer is a great time-saving tool for you.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping to use mvp for the U seats. I don't need to book yet, u can ride it out until closer to the date.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:34 pm

I was able to get TWO U seats SEA-HNL and back recently, so they are out there!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I think you just answered your own question. AS only has two flights to IAH system-wide and it is from their home base. The only other real competitor is UA which likely gets much of the IAH based FFs, while AS is going to get the bulk of SEA originators. In flights between major cities with little competition, they should not have many F seats to hand out to the lowest level elite member coach passengers well in advance. Why give away something when there are likely people in SEA that don't want to fly on UA and want to fly in F and are willing to pay? Take a non-stop on another carrier from the Bay Area and save yourself some time or fly several hours out of the way and take your chances at a last minute upgrade if seats happen to go unsold.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
I'm flying SEA-IAH tomorrow on the noon flight. I'm 75k and 6th on the upgrade list. There are a total of 38 people on the upgrade list at T-17 hours, which means that list is likely to grow as more people check in. That is a crazy elite load.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brownnet
I'm flying SEA-IAH tomorrow on the noon flight. I'm 75k and 6th on the upgrade list. There are a total of 38 people on the upgrade list at T-17 hours, which means that list is likely to grow as more people check in. That is a crazy elite load.
Indeed, Flight is showing F1, Y4, X4. One F still available for purchase. 5 awaiting seats. Only 4 unassigned seats ahead of Row 17, PC full. Enjoy your flight in PC. It is going to be a busy one.

I wonder how many ahead of you have companions on their PNR. Hopfully everyone and nobody requests a split. That would be the ultimate upgrade.

James
brownnet likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
example would be SJC to IAH with a stop in SEA if I remember corrrectly.
As an MVP, anytime an itinerary took me through SEA, I just assumed there will be no upgrade/space. That's AS' home base, and there's a ton of elites there. Even now as a Gold I'm not holding out hope unless it's somehow a Wednesday night redeye or other undesirable flight.

Other posters are correct in that you can get U space or upgrades on transcons, but you still need to stay away from SEA/PDX. I had luck on 6/8 of my (MVP) trips from SAN, but the 2 I missed were the two that got routed through SEA.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
If the intent is to seek out U space for MVP instant upgrade, I worry you’ll pay more or close to I or P fares which then come with class of service bonus. When I was MVP instant upgrade was really not worth it unless work told me to buy an expensive Y fare.
rustykettel and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
If the intent is to seek out U space for MVP instant upgrade, I worry you’ll pay more or close to I or P fares which then come with class of service bonus. When I was MVP instant upgrade was really not worth it unless work told me to buy an expensive Y fare.
Even as Gold, instant upgrade is often more than discount first (and without the CoS bonus!) I think at 75k this sometimes becomes a viable option.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by williwaw
I should amend a little - for MVP the Y and S that are instant upgradeable and have 50% class of service bonus. For MVPG its M and B that are also upgradeable with a 25% class of service bonus. Its a detail, but one that can sway things if all the I and P fares are gone. I've had one work trip to Hawaii where only F was left and I had to jump on a last minute S fare. It upgraded a few days out, and I got some bonus. But not the full deal. (And wasn't my money....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.