Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

why does not allow to buy mixed fare (saver fare and main fare) ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand why it is not allowed to buy one leg of saver fare whereas the other leg for main fare, especially for round trip.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Round trip the most restricted fare rules apply to the whole ticket. The whole thing would become saver thus no reason to up charge to main. The same for all the US carriers with Basic type fares
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Just book as 2 x one ways. All AS fares are one way anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Round trip the most restricted fare rules apply to the whole ticket. The whole thing would become saver thus no reason to up charge to main. The same for all the US carriers with Basic type fares
True, but you may want to by up for reasons other than the ability to make changes (eg, elite seat selection, being on the upgrade list).

Also, the website won't show X if it's the same price as, or more expensive than, main. This leads to "forced" buy-ups on some multi-segment trips (on some short routes they have reduced X to be the same as main, presumably to compete with Southwest). So if you are using one of those segments as a connection, you have to buy up to main for the whole ticket. Probably a TA could book it, since AFAIK the fares that book into X still exist -- the website just won't show them.

Originally Posted by channa
But then you lose misconnect protection, and possibly the ability to check bags straight through? I'm not sure if AS will check bags thorough if there are multiple tickets.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But then you lose misconnect protection, and possibly the ability to check bags straight through? I'm not sure if AS will check bags thorough if there are multiple tickets.
The OP mentioned RT, so I thought that means outbound as one, and return as the other.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:49 pm

Not quite. If you book a multicity it prices it more expensive than if you just booked it as a one-way and it routes you through the second city you listed anyway.
Incorrect, as noted below

Last edited by s0ssos; Apr 29, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not quite. If you book a multicity it prices it more expensive than if you just booked it as a one-way and it routes you through the second city you listed anyway.
website/app will show the individual segment fares on the search results screen, but when you go to the booking screen it will calculate the price as a thru fare (presuming the inventory is available on both segments)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

website/app will show the individual segment fares on the search results screen, but when you go to the booking screen it will calculate the price as a thru fare (presuming the inventory is available on both segments)
Cool, thanks! Didn't realize that.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm pretty sure OP was suggesting two one-ways as opposed to a round-trip ticket. SEA-MCO, MCO-SEA. I think the scenario you're proposing is where you have a connection outbound (or return), like SEA-PDX-MCO and breaking that into two tickets. I can't seen the benefit there - in my experience that's ALWAYS more expensive to split a ticket that way, even with saver fares.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I'm pretty sure OP was suggesting two one-ways as opposed to a round-trip ticket. SEA-MCO, MCO-SEA. I think the scenario you're proposing is where you have a connection outbound (or return), like SEA-PDX-MCO and breaking that into two tickets. I can't seen the benefit there - in my experience that's ALWAYS more expensive to split a ticket that way, even with saver fares.
In my experience AS charges the sum of the one-way segments when you do this. Does AS publish fares for city-pairs where there is no direct flight?

Edit: In fact, when I've looked at AS fare rules, they have always said they they were for direct flights only. Is that not standard for them?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:35 pm

In my experience AS charges the sum of the one-way segments when you do this. Does AS publish fares for city-pairs where there is no direct flight?
Exactly, so why would you break SEA-PDX-MCO as your outbound into two tickets?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I'm saying is, when you make a connecting flight (one ticket or two) they charge you the sum of the segments. In the screen where you select your flights they even have a price for each segment -- you do not select it as a through ticket like you do with other carriers.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I'm saying is, when you make a connecting flight (one ticket or two) they charge you the sum of the segments. In the screen where you select your flights they even have a price for each segment -- you do not select it as a through ticket like you do with other carriers.
It depends. If the through fare is lower, it charges the through fare. If the sum of the two fares is lower, they charge the sum.

To that end, I could see the point if the OP doesn't care about a seat or upgrade on SEA-PDX but does on PDX-MCO, why pay an extra $20 on SEA-PDX if the fare is calculating that way?
jinglish likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:26 am

To that end, I could see the point if the OP doesn't care about a seat or upgrade on SEA-PDX but does on PDX-MCO, why pay an extra $20 on SEA-PDX if the fare is calculating that way?
Totally agreed, I was commenting that I've not ever seen that happen, and I've looked
Old May 1, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It depends. If the through fare is lower, it charges the through fare. If the sum of the two fares is lower, they charge the sum.

It would appear the OP doesn't want to pay a main fare on a QX400 if saver is available. The through fare is usually cheaper than each segment priced independently and AS will calculate the through fare as already stated.

It is also published that Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare type so the discussion is really moot. An itinerary is either saver or not. The only way would be to purchase two separate one-way tickets which in most cases will be more expensive than the through fare whether saver or main.

James in Dubai

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.