Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Not always true, as people can still check-in at T-60 and be ahead of you in the list. Here are the check-in cutoff times:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...boarding-times
Both are true. Yes, it's entirely possible that someone could check in at T-50 and get their F seat (or that a last-minute SDC fills the F cabin, a pilot is added last-minute, a seat is broken, etc.)

I'm saying that in instances where say 3F seats are for sale at T-60, and you're #1 on the waitlist, you can't trust that the GA will process your upgrade properly. Sometimes the upgrade processor is broken, sometimes the 75k waitlist isn't displaying properly, sometimes the GA only works off of the MVGP/MVP list (ignoring 75k), and sometimes the GA just goes straight to selling upgrades at the gate, ignoring the waitlist altogether. The best way to maximize your chance of getting an upgrade at the gate is to be there at T-60 and politely speak to the GA before boarding.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Both are true. Yes, it's entirely possible that someone could check in at T-50 and get their F seat (or that a last-minute SDC fills the F cabin, a pilot is added last-minute, a seat is broken, etc.)

I'm saying that in instances where say 3F seats are for sale at T-60, and you're #1 on the waitlist, you can't trust that the GA will process your upgrade properly. Sometimes the upgrade processor is broken, sometimes the 75k waitlist isn't displaying properly, sometimes the GA only works off of the MVGP/MVP list (ignoring 75k), and sometimes the GA just goes straight to selling upgrades at the gate, ignoring the waitlist altogether. The best way to maximize your chance of getting an upgrade at the gate is to be there at T-60 and politely speak to the GA before boarding.
Recently a GA skipped me because I wasn't at the gate (at about T-60), so yeah plenty of things can happen. I did eventually get upgraded anyways, but the GA would have filled the remaining seats without upgrading me if I hadn't arrived well before boarding started (still at more than T-30, which is when officially they can give your seat away).
Old May 2, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Expectations that an elite needs to be physically at the gate at T-anything in order to upgrade is insane. Any GA following that logic, I'd document and report to customer service so they can be trained properly.

Majority of elites are going to have the app - just notify us we've been updated and refresh our ticket. Many elites, particularly business travelers time their arrival to be at the gate right as boarding starts - you expect them to be there at T-60?
Then there are people like myself who have lounge memberships (or priority pass) specifically so that we do not have to spend time at the gate.

To be a courteous flier, I always leave the lounge and get to the gate at T-5 on the off chance that boarding started early as to not be the guy holding up the process. It almost never works out as we either board on time, or late, or some random dude shows up right before doors close - but I never want to be that random dude.

Just go with the upgrade order, and if someone is a no show then someone else gets a battlefield upgrade. I know official policies about making your flight say to get there early, flight may depart early or close doors early... but that same policy doesn't need to be applied to upgrades which aren't going to hold up a flight from pushing out.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Expectations that an elite needs to be physically at the gate at T-anything in order to upgrade is insane. Any GA following that logic, I'd document and report to customer service so they can be trained properly.

Majority of elites are going to have the app - just notify us we've been updated and refresh our ticket. Many elites, particularly business travelers time their arrival to be at the gate right as boarding starts - you expect them to be there at T-60?
Then there are people like myself who have lounge memberships (or priority pass) specifically so that we do not have to spend time at the gate.

To be a courteous flier, I always leave the lounge and get to the gate at T-5 on the off chance that boarding started early as to not be the guy holding up the process. It almost never works out as we either board on time, or late, or some random dude shows up right before doors close - but I never want to be that random dude.

Just go with the upgrade order, and if someone is a no show then someone else gets a battlefield upgrade. I know official policies about making your flight say to get there early, flight may depart early or close doors early... but that same policy doesn't need to be applied to upgrades which aren't going to hold up a flight from pushing out.
Hey I agree with you completely, NearlySober--we shouldn't have to be at the gate T-60 to get upgrades. I have been reporting the problematic GAs to AS, as have others, but so far, it doesn't seem to make a difference. As a 75k I'm getting the upgrades well before T-60 most of the time, so its less of a problem for me. Just sharing what I see as best practices to **hopefully** save others from getting screwed out of their upgrades.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flew SLC to SEA yesterday, at T-80 I asked if they were going to release the last remaining open FC seat or offer it for sale at the gate (I was No 1 on the list). They were under the impression that that seat was for sale until T-60, and then if any seats are left upgrades would happen. They were extremely nice and gave me the upgrade early without advertising it for sale over the PA. At least now I know the policy!
Old May 9, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctporter
Flew SLC to SEA yesterday, at T-80 I asked if they were going to release the last remaining open FC seat or offer it for sale at the gate (I was No 1 on the list). They were under the impression that that seat was for sale until T-60, and then if any seats are left upgrades would happen. They were extremely nice and gave me the upgrade early without advertising it for sale over the PA. At least now I know the policy!
The seat should be for sale -- as an upfare. If someone wants to pay the fare difference to F, they should get the seat. This is just someone buying a first class ticket (at walk-up fares, no less)

However, it should not be available as a paid upgrade (at the much cheaper rates here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades) which will put them into U (not F, P, or I) unless if the waitlist has been cleared.

If the flight has not gone to gate control, this is handled "automatically" -- the upgrade to U will not be offered at that rate unless U space is available, which should only be the case if the waitlist is empty, or has people on it who can't be upgraded (due to # of people on PNR being greater than U space). Of course sometimes the upgrade processor doesn't work, but in my experience when this happens you can just call them and they will process your upgrade. Setting an EF alert for U space means you don't have to keep checking.

Once the flight has gone to gate control, there is no longer a concept of U space -- it's up to the GA to follow policy and not sell U upgrades before clearing the waitlist.

I suspect that what the GA was referring to was the fact that at T-80, the flight was still not under gate control, and it would go under gate control at T-60, at which time she could process your upgrade. It's true that the seat was "for sale" until that time -- but, hopefully, at the F fare. Until it goes to gate control, the GAs are not supposed to upgrade you -- the only way to get upgraded is for U space to open.

FWIW I'm impressed that you managed to talk to a GA at T-80. I find that they usually don't show up at the gate until T-60 or even slightly later.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
They were under the impression that that seat was for sale until T-60, and then if any seats are left upgrades would happen. They were extremely nice and gave me the upgrade early without advertising it for sale over the PA. At least now I know the policy!
Is it a change in policy or mistakenly conflating selling a seat (booking into F/P/I) & selling an upgrade? Maybe @missydarlin could clarify?
Old May 10, 2019, 9:35 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Is it a change in policy or mistakenly conflating selling a seat (booking into F/P/I) & selling an upgrade? Maybe @missydarlin could clarify?
Conflation. The seats are for sale as F P I until 60 minutes prior to departure. And the upgrade processor is also running. The agents dont take control of upgrades til T-60
jinglish, rustykettel and DrAlex like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Conflation. The seats are for sale as F P I until 60 minutes prior to departure. And the upgrade processor is also running. The agents dont take control of upgrades til T-60
thanks for the clarification, I think I was given a very nice gift
Old May 10, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This practice has made me wary of counting on waitlisted upgrades. I have a flight in 2 weeks, booked in K (same price as non-GGU eligible fare). 5/12 F seats showing as available on the seat map, and only 2 seats in rows 6, 17 and 18 occupied so probably not too elite-heavy at the moment, and a predominantly vacation route (not a business destination) so not a lot of last minutes bookings, I figured it was looking pretty good. One U seat opened up this morning and I grabbed it with a GGU as this thread, and my own recent observations, have made me pretty confident that I could get hosed by a GA selling upgrades at the gate to vacation travelers willing to pay less than $200 to sit in F before clearing the waitlist. So burned a GGU on what should have been a pretty certain complimentary upgrade. But at least I get to grab 2C now and to prebook dinner, which is a big plus in my books.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
This practice has made me wary of counting on waitlisted upgrades. I have a flight in 2 weeks, booked in K (same price as non-GGU eligible fare). 5/12 F seats showing as available on the seat map, and only 2 seats in rows 6, 17 and 18 occupied so probably not too elite-heavy at the moment, and a predominantly vacation route (not a business destination) so not a lot of last minutes bookings, I figured it was looking pretty good. One U seat opened up this morning and I grabbed it with a GGU as this thread, and my own recent observations, have made me pretty confident that I could get hosed by a GA selling upgrades at the gate to vacation travelers willing to pay less than $200 to sit in F before clearing the waitlist. So burned a GGU on what should have been a pretty certain complimentary upgrade. But at least I get to grab 2C now and to prebook dinner, which is a big plus in my books.
I would say this is the correct approach. Those GGUs become less worth during the end of the year. Better to use them now and confirm the F slot.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
All this is so strange to me. I fly SEA->BOS r/t at least monthly and I've never seen upgrades sold at the gate. These are flights with at least 20 people on the waitlist at the gate (often many more).

I often arrive at the gate in SEA after boarding has started (although not always), but I arrive earlier than boarding at Boston often. I'd imagine that if this was so prevalent I would have seen it at least once.

Maybe they don't do it on certain routes?
Old May 10, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I am making a mileage run today down to LA because on my return trip tomorrow I will hit MM. (I wanted the MM flight to be one on a 737 and my husband to be with me) My husband and I are both in PC right now and waitlisted for FC with just one person ahead of us on the waitlist of three people. According to Expert Flyer there is F6 D6 P3 I2 U0 A2 Y1 Z1 S0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 L0 V0 K0 G0 T0 R0 X1 N0 W0 E0
This morning there was 7 seats available, (No U though) so one seat sold or was otherwise taken. Hopefully we will get upgraded. I won't be upset if not though because the important flight to me is tomorrow and for that one I booked into FC.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:42 pm

I am making a mileage run today down to LA because on my return trip tomorrow I will hit MM.
MM on Alaska metal is crazy! Congrats! Group A + MVPG for life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.