Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] AS First Class Is a Bad Joke

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jinglish
Ahem:OP was saying that VX was sold because AS offered a buttload of cash. That's not what happened.

And there's plenty of inherent value in an existing aircraft fleet, route network, and gate/slot inventory. That in no way means that the acquired airline's decisions are necessarily worth replicating.
Arguably AS overpaid. The market sure did seem to think so (stock price dropped around 15% weeks following announcement in 2016). There's inherent value in these assets, sure, but is it that much value? Was it the best investment that could have been made with it, given there's everything else in the world the money could have been invested in? Definitely not.

With that said, as an Alaska FF I do like the expanded network. But still, AS overpaid.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
I'm not sure whether I prefer the AS seats, but I agree that the VX recliners are not comfortable. IME the seat pan is too deep, so there's not much back support. For sitting (not sleeping) I'd be more comfortable in a standard VX or AS economy seat with the middle seat blocked out (and extra legroom).
Hmmm... interesting. I find that on most seats the seat pan is not deep enough, making them incredibly uncomfortable (to the point of causing back pain) when not reclined.

This might just be about different body sizes. I'm 6'2 and generally in the 200-230 range so I like a bigger seat -- I don't fit in the smaller ones very well.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Those seats have always gotten stuck in the recline position occasionally. There is a lever or something that the FA can pull to get them upright again, and then they work (both reclining and going back). At worst, it's a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't refer to it as broken. That's not AS' fault.
Well, we can agree to disagree. I was a loyal VX flyer since their inception, and the instances of it being stuck in recline were extremely few and far between, until the seats stopped being maintained. That's AS' fault.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Well, we can agree to disagree. I was a loyal VX flyer since their inception, and the instances of it being stuck in recline were extremely few and far between, until the seats stopped being maintained. That's AS' fault.
Really??

I would say that on at least 20% of my VX flights I had to get the FA's assistance in returning my seat to the upright position before takeoff or landing.

I wasn't one to fiddle with my seat during the flight. I would board ASAP, go into full recline with my feet up, enjoy PDB(s), go upright for takeoff, then back to full recline with my feet up until it was time to land. So I was returning to upright 2x per flight. That's probably why it didn't really bother me... if I was going back and forth all flight it would have been a hassle.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Really??

I would say that on at least 20% of my VX flights I had to get the FA's assistance in returning my seat to the upright position before takeoff or landing.

I wasn't one to fiddle with my seat during the flight. I would board ASAP, go into full recline with my feet up, enjoy PDB(s), go upright for takeoff, then back to full recline with my feet up until it was time to land. So I was returning to upright 2x per flight. That's probably why it didn't really bother me... if I was going back and forth all flight it would have been a hassle.
You should find the new AS footrests must easier to operate, and likely, much more reliable!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You should find the new AS footrests must easier to operate, and likely, much more reliable!
I hate fixed footrests. They are always at the perfect height for someone who is 5'8.
jjmadison and PaperGlider like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I hate fixed footrests. They are always at the perfect height for someone who is 5'8.
Are they not adjustable? The website says “footrests to support guests of varying heights.”
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Are they not adjustable? The website says “footrests to support guests of varying heights.”
Beats me; I've never flown it. I know that footrests that fold down from the seat in front of you are useless to me
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, 5'8" and under...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by milypan
I'm not sure whether I prefer the AS seats, but I agree that the VX recliners are not comfortable. IME the seat pan is too deep, so there's not much back support.
The VX F seats have fully adjustable lumbar support, in three different positions, and a massager. You can adjust the back support from soft to major lumbar, and at different heights on your back. Have you tried adjusting this before? They are the three small buttons under the armrest. You'll see them when you go to access retractable table.

Many guests don't know about this since AS FAs no longer inform passengers of this feature.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmadison
The VX F seats have fully adjustable lumbar support, in three different positions, and a massager. You can adjust the back support from soft to major lumbar, and at different heights on your back. Have you tried adjusting this before? They are the three small buttons under the armrest. You'll see them when you go to access retractable table.

Many guests don't know about this since AS FAs no longer inform passengers of this feature.
I actually didn't know that
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Beats me; I've never flown it. I know that footrests that fold down from the seat in front of you are useless to me
I’m 6’2 and found the new AS footrest useless.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd

I’m 6’2 and found the new AS footrest useless.
That’s unfortunate, since traditional legrests attached to the seat were an option for the particular seat model they chose. I’m the same height and also generally find footrests useless, although I haven’t flown in the new seats yet. The other advantage to legrests is that they are installed on all seats, whereas currently the bulkhead row doesn’t have anything. Some carriers have legrests in premium economy, even with less underlying seat pitch than AS F.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:10 am

Comparing AS F now to 5 years ago:

1) movie selection is better
2) food quality served is better, though portions may be smaller in some cases
3) seat pitch expanded from 36 to 41” on the 737-800 and 900/900er. Regardless of the condition of the Airbus fleet, it is better than sitting in a 36” seat on a 738.

However, the actual inflight service is not as consistent.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Comparing AS F now to 5 years ago:

1) movie selection is better
2) food quality served is better, though portions may be smaller in some cases
3) seat pitch expanded from 36 to 41” on the 737-800 and 900/900er. Regardless of the condition of the Airbus fleet, it is better than sitting in a 36” seat on a 738.

However, the actual inflight service is not as consistent.
I would agree with your points as listed except the last one. Outside the inconsistency of PDB service, I have found the FAs to be consistently friendly and attentive (again, this is in First). There have been a few bumps as I have mentioned before when on a 4-5 hour mid-con it took almost an hour to get first drinks out but even on that flight, once they got going they were up and down the aisle for the entire rest of the flight. I must admit, I have not flown recently on any of AS competitors as frankly, I intend to churn miles on AS metal and have been happy with them for the most part since I started flying with them in the late 70's. For the true VX loyalists, nothing AS does will ever match their old airline and I would probably feel the same if AS was sold off to someone else. AS will make mistakes and stumble, but they have been consistent for the most part for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.