[Rant] AS First Class Is a Bad Joke

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
And your planes are new.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
And your labor is very junior.
So you think they might have run into real problems 30 years down the road?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So you think they might have run into real problems 30 years down the road?
way to cut out the interest rates and fuel prices they were "anding" too.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
...but you just proved the OP’s point. Obscene amounts of money would not have been offered if the company being bought was not worth it. B6 obviously thought it was not worth what AS was offering so VX would have been dumb not to take the crazy offer and run all the way to the bank.
Ahem:
Originally Posted by channa
It was sold off because of the ridiculously high price over market that AS paid for it
OP was saying that VX was sold because AS offered a buttload of cash. That's not what happened.

And there's plenty of inherent value in an existing aircraft fleet, route network, and gate/slot inventory. That in no way means that the acquired airline's decisions are necessarily worth replicating.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
I’d obviously agree that the Virgin first class experience was world class. But I wouldn’t call AS horrible it’s among the best I’ve seen compared to pretty much everyone who isn’t virgin and the extra space obviously increases upgrade opportunities which is a big win for all of us so I’m thankful!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by StephanP37
I’d obviously agree that the Virgin first class experience was world class.
Huh? VX First was good and definitely better than AS... but hardly "world class"
TheDudeAbides and bmvaughn like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh? VX First was good and definitely better than AS... but hardly "world class"
It was world class if your world is limited to the US

Actually you will be hard-pressed to find a better short-haul hard product anywhere in the world (not including times when you can catch a long-haul-configured plane on a short-haul route for repositioning or operational reasons).

I'm sure that there are some (it's not like I've flown every airline in the world) but it compares favorably even to top Asian airlines on short regional routes.

I'd call it "world class" for 1-4hr flights. Which might not be glamourous, but it's the bulk of flying for many people.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just flew one of these old Airbus platforms between SEA and PVR in the one row of premium economy and see where OP is coming from. Service on both legs was poor and the cabin was definitely ratty. Stayed at the same hotel that flight crews stayed at and chatted up a few FA's. I think they were all AS not ex-Virgin but not certain. They hated the Airbus and stated that it doesn't get catered correctly and galley config makes it difficult to service coach fully. With a risk to offend and based on small sample size, I think some crew treat this destination as a mini vacation and it shows in the service as well. Our return flight had one service on a four hour flight (late flight though) but the crew had plenty of time to stand in the galley and talk. Definitely not a good look. I think you get double whammied on this destination.

Contrast this with my business travel though and it is night and day. SEA is home so all of my flights are on Boeing platforms and almost always in FC. I am 95% satisfied with this setup. AS is still happily my airline and mileage program of choice. Perfect. No. A good value proposition that treats frequent flyers well? Absolutely IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Am I alone in preferring the Alaska 1st class seats to the virgin recliners?

I feel like the VX seats are this weird half way position between laying down and sitting up so I can never find a comfortable position, and if I'm sitting up straight, I think the Alaska seats are more comfortable.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by brentyb

I feel like the VX seats are this weird half way position between laying down and sitting up so I can never find a comfortable position, and if I'm sitting up straight, I think the Alaska seats are more comfortable.
I'm sure you're not alone, but as a bigger fellow (6'2" 200lbs), I really enjoy the 55" pitch and having almost 4 windows to look out of in Row 2.

I'll miss that, but I won't miss the deplorable condition many of those seats are now in.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can recline as little or as much as you want. It's not like you only have a choice between full recline and upright. If you just want 3 inches of recline and no foot rest then recline your seat 3 inches and be done with it.

I was very comfy in full recline mode though.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
What is the terrible condition of the VX cabins that people are talking about? Do we have any pictures? I was last on one in December and my seat got stuck in recline but the condition seemed okay. From the way people are describing them, I'm picturing holes in the seats, dirty carpets and panels falling off the sides of the cabin.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
What is the terrible condition of the VX cabins that people are talking about? Do we have any pictures? I was last on one in December and my seat got stuck in recline but the condition seemed okay. From the way people are describing them, I'm picturing holes in the seats, dirty carpets and panels falling off the sides of the cabin.
No pics, but stuck in recline=broken seat. I don't consider that condition to be ok. The white leather is no longer white (not so surprisingly, that was a bold choice to begin with) and while I haven't personally seen any holes, they're generally dirty and this also applies to the carpet. The red system (updated to AS' interface) is often out of commission and you can just generally tell that these cabins have become the red-headed stepchild of the AS' fleet. Lots of deferred maintenance, which makes sense, given the cabin mods that are underway.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
There have been multiple reports that AS has stopped doing repairs and maintenance on VX F seats. Here is my recent report from the upgrade thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30958994-post164.html

I've seen rips, very dirty carpets, broken recline, broken fold-out tables, and most often, dirty (non-maintained) leather. All of these problems are fixable with proper maintenance. Pre-merger, there was serious attention paid to keeping the seats in top condition. Not getting into the VX/AS fight... just worth noting it is entirely possible, if AS cared about it.

All that said, I've also sat in F seats on AS Boeing aircraft that looked extremely dirty. All it takes is regular conditioning of the leather to keep the seat material looking decent. AS clearly doesn't see that as a priority.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No pics, but stuck in recline=broken seat. I don't consider that condition to be ok.
Those seats have always gotten stuck in the recline position occasionally. There is a lever or something that the FA can pull to get them upright again, and then they work (both reclining and going back). At worst, it's a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't refer to it as broken. That's not AS' fault.

The lack of maintenance is, though. It is just another piece of evidence that AS has no interest in providing a first class experience. I guess not bothering to clean and maintain the cabin is good for the bottom line though.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

I'm not sure whether I prefer the AS seats, but I agree that the VX recliners are not comfortable. IME the seat pan is too deep, so there's not much back support. For sitting (not sleeping) I'd be more comfortable in a standard VX or AS economy seat with the middle seat blocked out (and extra legroom).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.