Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] AS First Class Is a Bad Joke

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Suddenly you're a UA expert
How many times do I have to fly them before I notice that every single experience is better than what is even allowed by AS policy? Sorry that we're not all slow to pick up on the obvious.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
The VX model was not financially viable. That is why it was sold off.
VX was profitable at the time of the acquisition. It was sold off because of the ridiculously high price over market that AS paid for it (some like a 47% premium over market value). AS literally paid about $1 billion more for VX than its market value. A financially unviable company does not generate that kind of premium.

Any company will sell for the right price. My house is not for sale. But offer me a million bucks over market value, and I'll be out by the end of the month.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I'll jump into the fray. The food on United is disgusting compared to what Alaska currently offers. Full disclosure, this is based off of 4 United flights in the past 3 months, including a Tcon 787-10 flight.
sltlyamusd, bmvaughn and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS is fine if you only fly economy, and if you get a free upgrade to F I guess there is not much to complain about because it's free. An economy experience in a big seat is a pretty good deal when you paid for an economy experience in a small seat. But if you paid for a first-class experience, the joke is on you because you're not going to get what you paid for. This is the "bad joke" that the OP is referring to.
I haven't flown UA at all this year, but have flown UA for most of the last 8 years, and also a lot back in the early 2000s (when I was rolling in upgrades). For non-PS routes, AS F compares favorably to UA F. The seats are better and I find the food better on average. And if you look at how AS hands out upgrades and markets MP, they expect to sell a bunch of their F space as instant upgrades to HVF - either as instant upgrades or as upgrades to various levels of FF in the last 96 hours before the flight. Given that pricing model, their F is competitively priced. They just hide it by not selling it listed as F. It definitely doesn't compare to the service and seats on PS routes (and the DL and AA equivalents), but it's mostly not priced like that, either. If you fly on OPM and are only allowed to buy Y cabin, you can't even get CPUs on the UA PS routes (not like you can really get them anymore on any routes, anyway), while on AS they're very available, even as an MVP.
sltlyamusd and WrightHI like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I totally agree with this. If I'm flying coach I prefer AS. But that's not the point of this thread...

I notice a difference in service. The hard product is about the same (I hear about the pitch difference but I don't notice a difference when I'm sitting in the seat).

I'm surprised that you don't have status on UA. If you are regularly paying for E+ it might be worthwhile to try to get there. I remember that you mentioned a GUM-HNL-SFO trip a while ago... one such RT would leave you within a few hundred miles of completing a gold status match.
I ended up using GGUs to get F on AS from PDX to HNL and onto GUM on UA.

My travel almost justifies a status match. If I end up with the right schedule I will do it.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
How many times do I have to fly them before I notice that every single experience is better than what is even allowed by AS policy? Sorry that we're not all slow to pick up on the obvious.
The answer is the same as the number of licks that it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. And if you don't get the reference, you'll have to look it up.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I'll jump into the fray. The food on United is disgusting compared to what Alaska currently offers. Full disclosure, this is based off of 4 United flights in the past 3 months, including a Tcon 787-10 flight.
And even with your small sample size, you're right on the money. It's the best quality of AS F, at the moment.

And to the OP: I don't know if PVR-LAX is a double catered flight, but perhaps you had local catering from that station? I really don't know, but their food out of SFO and SEA is quite good these days, if not the best. I consider DL a close second, with AA & UA consistently awful.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I haven't flown UA at all this year, but have flown UA for most of the last 8 years, and also a lot back in the early 2000s (when I was rolling in upgrades). For non-PS routes, AS F compares favorably to UA F. The seats are better and I find the food better on average. And if you look at how AS hands out upgrades and markets MP, they expect to sell a bunch of their F space as instant upgrades to HVF - either as instant upgrades or as upgrades to various levels of FF in the last 96 hours before the flight. Given that pricing model, their F is competitively priced. They just hide it by not selling it listed as F. It definitely doesn't compare to the service and seats on PS routes (and the DL and AA equivalents), but it's mostly not priced like that, either. If you fly on OPM and are only allowed to buy Y cabin, you can't even get CPUs on the UA PS routes (not like you can really get them anymore on any routes, anyway), while on AS they're very available, even as an MVP.
Food is a matter of opinion but I find most of the AS fare inedible. My go-to is to pre-order the cheese plate and grab a meal at the airport to take on the plane. To be blunt, the AS food is ridiculous hipster crap (other than breakfast, which is pretty good, but about half the size it should be)

If you are willing to play the upgrade game it may be easier to get into F on certain routes, but that's not really the point here. This is about the value when you buy it outright. I also question your stament about ease of upgrade on what other airlines would have as a premium route as MVP. I flew quite a few SFO-NYC round trips as MVP and I was never even close to being upgraded. (SFO-Hawaii, on the other hand, is a fairly easy upgrade, even as MVP, and certainly as MVPG... and I'd still rather spend $650 on UA than $200 on AS with an almost guaranteed upgrade)

And, again, even on non-premium routes, I've had better service in first class on other airlines in the last couple of years.

Actually, on all the domestic first class flights I've ever taken (mostly VX up until a couple of years ago, but also some other airlines when I've wanted to go beyond their network, and several more on other airlines in the past 2 years) I've gotten a full bar PDB on every single non-AS flight. My understanding is that if I keep flying AA this perfect record is sure to be broken, but, up until now, AS is the only airline not to offer me one.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by channa
VX was profitable at the time of the acquisition. It was sold off because of the ridiculously high price over market that AS paid for it (some like a 47% premium over market value). AS literally paid about $1 billion more for VX than its market value. A financially unviable company does not generate that kind of premium.

Any company will sell for the right price. My house is not for sale. But offer me a million bucks over market value, and I'll be out by the end of the month.
Oh, come on; the circumstances of the merger are pretty well-established. AS didn't just offer VX an obscene amount of money out of the blue; the investors had already decided to sell, and it only got that high because they wanted to prevent B6 from buying a west coast presence in their stead.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
Oh, come on; the circumstances of the merger are pretty well-established. AS didn't just offer VX an obscene amount of money out of the blue; the investors had already decided to sell, and it only got that high because they wanted to prevent B6 from buying a west coast presence in their stead.
...but you just proved the OP’s point. Obscene amounts of money would not have been offered if the company being bought was not worth it. B6 obviously thought it was not worth what AS was offering so VX would have been dumb not to take the crazy offer and run all the way to the bank.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

...but you just proved the OP’s point. Obscene amounts of money would not have been offered if the company being bought was not worth it. B6 obviously thought it was not worth what AS was offering so VX would have been dumb not to take the crazy offer and run all the way to the bank.
That is a gross oversimplification of how mergers and acquisitions work.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
But to say that it was not sustainable is simply incorrect, no matter how many times people here repeat it. A profitable company is sustainable. Now, of course, you can be more profitable if you offer a worse product at higher prices, but that does not mean that the original product was not sustainable.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa

VX was one fuel spike away from bankruptcy at the time of acquisition. There's a reason the investors were so anxious to sell.

It's not hard to make profits when fuel is cheap and the interest rate is low.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
It's not hard to make profits when fuel is cheap and the interest rate is low.
And your planes are new.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
And your planes are new.
And your labor is very junior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.