Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food for Purchase Y Class from Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Food for Purchase Y Class from Hawaii

I was wondering if anyone has flown Y recently from Hawaii and what the options to purchase food were for an afternoon flight?
Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Last time I flew the route (1-2ish months ago) it was fruit and cheese plate, sandwich, or a decent looking salad, plus the regular snack boxes and snacks listed on the menu card (chips, jerky, popcorn, etc).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by holocker
I was wondering if anyone has flown Y recently from Hawaii and what the options to purchase food were for an afternoon flight?
Thanks
Here is what to expect in the near future.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BOB food is not bad but I find the portions tiny, and I think it's overpriced for the quantity. I will buy it if I'm unexpectedly hungry on a flight but I'd never plan to buy it. At most airports you can get something better to take on board with you.

Unfortunately there are no restaurants that are partnered with priority pass in any of the Hawaii airports The best breakfast I ever had in economy class was free, from Capers in PDX.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
My usual goto plan flying out of Hawaii is to hit Foodland before the airport and pickup sushi or poke or something from their hot bar. They also have nice sandwiches and wraps. I agree with @VegasGambler on the size, quality, price equation. I usually save BOB for when I run out of time to make another plan.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Pro tip: Purchase the BOB at the first opportunity. On full flights to Hawaii, the "fresh" BOB items can sell out.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The BOB food is not bad but I find the portions tiny, and I think it's overpriced for the quantity. I will buy it if I'm unexpectedly hungry on a flight but I'd never plan to buy it. At most airports you can get something better to take on board with you.

Unfortunately there are no restaurants that are partnered with priority pass in any of the Hawaii airports The best breakfast I ever had in economy class was free, from Capers in PDX.
I agree, the AS BOB to Hawaii used to be cheaper and they had hot food with a Hawaiian theme. Now it is overpriced, cold and the same as transcon flights. At least they seem to have retained the higher quality of VX offerings.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by dayone
Pro tip: Purchase the BOB at the first opportunity. On full flights to Hawaii, the "fresh" BOB items can sell out.
Sitting in the second row of premium economy last month HNL-SFO, they ran out of food before the fourth row of y seats. Really surprised they do not cater sufficient BOB.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:57 pm

Shoot, they ran out of my first choice in Row 6 last month (the other FA was working deeper rows and beat my FA to the punch....)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Is main cabin pre-ordering not offered on Hawaii flights?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Is main cabin pre-ordering not offered on Hawaii flights?
It is an option once you are within 14 days of departure.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It used to be decent when hot food was offered in Y. Now it's meh
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by williwaw
My usual goto plan flying out of Hawaii is to hit Foodland before the airport and pickup sushi or poke or something from their hot bar. They also have nice sandwiches and wraps. I agree with @VegasGambler on the size, quality, price equation. I usually save BOB for when I run out of time to make another plan.
If you're flying out of Maui, Fork and Salad just opened in Kahului by the Target. Their sandwiches travel really well. Not Foodland cheap, but a lot more convenient.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by williwaw
Shoot, they ran out of my first choice in Row 6 last month (the other FA was working deeper rows and beat my FA to the punch....)
I flew AA MCE recently and the FAs made a point of asking those pax seated there if they wanted BOB before they started general service. I was rather impressed.
williwaw and tusphotog like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I flew AA MCE recently and the FAs made a point of asking those pax seated there if they wanted BOB before they started general service. I was rather impressed.
So civilized.
jjmadison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.