Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Booking Fare Class Buckets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Mileage Booking Fare Class Buckets

Had to book a last minute pair of tickets to Alaska tonight for this coming weekend. I went to EF and it showed W0, N7, Z7, so I went to the AS website and started to plug in things. Made an accident and only put one traveler in for the award travel, and low and behold it offered me a W priced fare (12.5k OW). So I try again with two travelers and it jumps up to 30k OW times two. I booked one at 12.5K and expected to go back and book a second alone at 30k, but a second 12.5k showed on the second purchase. They are both W fares.

Is this normal? I thought I understood the dark art of fare buckets and awards.... But I won't complain, it just saved 35k miles. But I'd like to know if I have this wrong in my head for future use.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EF is definitely not 100% accurate when it comes to availability but it's usually pretty good. I have definitely seen cases when it was off by 1 though. I'm not sure if they are caching data and there is any chance that it is stale.

The one at a time thing is interesting. I guess it's possible that they automatically released one into inventory after you booked?

Definitely a good trick to keep in mind though. With 24hr cancellation there is really no risk.
williwaw likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 9, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:39 am

I have booked a couple of two-person award itineraries in a similar scenario you describe: two seats booked together are 2X each, but when you look for one seat, it's available at 1X. Then, when you try to book a second seat, you can also find it available for 1X.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Every once in a while, the purchase of a W ticket can trigger the release of a new W fare. I have no idea why, but I have seen this happen before.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I have booked a couple of two-person award itineraries in a similar scenario you describe: two seats booked together are 2X each, but when you look for one seat, it's available at 1X. Then, when you try to book a second seat, you can also find it available for 1X.
I believe that part of this phenomenon is caused by caching on the AS side, and they allow the second booking if you do it fast enough. (I've done it myself. Never tried for 3+ though...)
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.