Search

JFK Runway Construction and AS flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
JFK Runway Construction and AS flights

I noticed AA has cancelled all of their SEA-JFK flights for the summer due to the runway construction and wondered if anyone noticed any changes to Alaska's JFK summer schedule. I recently booked a RT on the PDX-JFK route and that looks like it's going to remain on the schedule (so far) since I'm guessing all the summer schedule changes would have been made by now. Walking by the gate for the afternoon AS SEA-JFK flight yesterday I noticed they were making an announcement that the flight would be delayed due to ATC....sounds like it could be an interesting summer during peak travel times at JFK.
'
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
AA has the triple whammy of the 73M+Oasis issues+Runway construction, whereas AS only has one of those problems (for the moment), but we'll see how the construction alone effects all. I think DL has trimmed flights there for the summer as well.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A.net has some good threads on this. Consensus seems to be 73Max plus the port allowing a temporary hold on slots maintaining possession of them.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
American has to cut flights and they are choosing the weakest ones. It just so happens that many of the routes out of JFK are their weakest ones. They get a waiver for few months so they won't immediately lose the slots. It will be interesting if later in the year, they re-add them back or just decide they would be better off eliminating them all together. If they can't make money on routes such as SEA-JFK in the middle of the summer, things will not look any better during the dead of winter.

No other carriers are cutting anything from JFK and in fact other carriers like B6 and DL are still growing. It is more a matter of AA weakness at JFK than runway construction alone.
channa and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Looks like AA has cut the evening JFK-SAN flight as well. They’re down to 1 flight per day on this route. Meanwhile, DL has increased its JFK-SAN frequency to four per day, from three previously.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
As 426 sea -> jfk

426 yesterday delayed 5+ hours.
Ouch.
I’m on this next week. Ugh.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
As 426 SEA -> JFK

426 yesterday delayed 5+ hours.
Ouch.
I’m on this next week. Ugh.

Last edited by FragranceMarketingGuy; Apr 16, 2019 at 4:59 am Reason: duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.