BA Op Upgrades for MVPG 75K

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
BA Op Upgrades for MVPG 75K

Hi All

I have Gold 75k with AS. Currently booked on BA World Traveler Plus to London and was wondering if anyone has encountered an op-upgrade based on AS status? I know as a prior OW Emerald, I used to have a much better chance of op-upgrades to business.

Also, can AS 75k MVP's use BA's business class check in at SJC and SFO?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
This is the only benefit for Alaska elites on British Airways:

Available to MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members, plus one guest.

Complimentary access to the select British Airways Galleries Lounge "This indicates a link to an external site that may not meet accessibility guidelines." locations listed below when holding a current day ticket/boarding pass with at least one British Airways operated international flight segment. Physical or mobile app digital elite tier card required.
  • Galleries Lounge in Heathrow International Airport (LHR) Terminal 3
  • Galleries Lounge in Heathrow International Airport (LHR) Terminal 5
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are no upgrades based on status for BA.

OpUp's, definitionally for the operational convenience of the carrier, e.g. broken seats or oversold cabin, may focus on BA status, but are by no means limited to status.

Realistically, if you have no BA status and no history of flying, unlikely that you meet any selection.
milypan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Most BA staff have never even heard of Alaska Airlines. Don't count on any special treatment.
I will say I was able to successfully access the BA lounge being an MVP Gold but the conversation was pretty hilarious (they were good sports about it.)
icelandman2 and QT31415 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bkojote
Most BA staff have never even heard of Alaska Airlines.
Alaskan Airlines as most BA staff refer to it.

I will say I was able to successfully access the BA lounge being an MVP Gold but the conversation was pretty hilarious (they were good sports about it.)
This has been hit or miss in terms of familiarity with it. I always get in, but sometimes they resist and I have tell direct them to their book with the pictures of all the cards.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Most BA staff have never even heard of Alaska Airlines. Don't count on any special treatment.
I don't think I've ever been able to enter without getting asked what AS is/them having to consult their book
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by icelandman2
I don't think I've ever been able to enter without getting asked what AS is/them having to consult their book
I must have gotten lucky this past November. It was a breeze getting in to the lounge at T5; just had to prove I was Gold, which was easily done via the Alaska app.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I must have gotten lucky this past November. It was a breeze getting in to the lounge at T5; just had to prove I was Gold, which was easily done via the Alaska app.
My last experience there was actually T5 in November - took them a good 10 minutes to sort out (apparently they couldn't even find their access book)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:00 pm

I went to the main South lounge and then the satellite lounge (which I'd strongly recommend over the main one as it's much quieter and spacious inside.) I handed them my Gold card and BA boarding pass.

They had to indeed consult the book after checking

"Are they oneworld?"
"Nope"

"I think they're Star Alliance?"
"Nope"

"Alaskan Airlines... I didn't know we flew there."
"They're one of your partners. They're a Seattle airline"

"Why are they called Alaska then?"
"No idea"

"I'll be, they've even got one of the eskimos. Well right you are. C'mon in."
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:59 pm

I went to the main South lounge and then the satellite lounge (which I'd strongly recommend over the main one as it's much quieter and spacious inside.) I handed them my Gold card and BA boarding pass.

They had to indeed consult the book after checking

"Are they oneworld?"
"Nope"

"I think they're Star Alliance?"
"Nope"

"Alaskan Airlines... I didn't know we flew there."
"They're one of your partners. They're a Seattle airline"

"Why are they called Alaska then?"
"No idea"

"I'll be, they've even got one of the eskimos. Well right you are. C'mon in."
Very similar to my conversation - just add in 10 minutes to find the book!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
I had the complete opposite experience in LHR T3 last week. We flew Club World to LHR connecting to business on AY to HEL. I went to the Galleries Club lounge and asked if our inbound flight granted us access. Didn’t mention AS status since we were already in J anyway.

The agent noticed the AS MP number on my reservation and asked if I had status. When I told him 75K, he said that’s equivalent to OW Emerald, you should go to the Galleries First lounge. I protested that I’m not actually Emerald, but he said that’s what 75K maps into for the lounge, so I stopped arguing and went to First.

On the way back I naturally went to the Galleries First lounge in T5 and asked whether I could get access based on my 75K status. They pulled out the binder, looked up AS, and showed me that 75K only gives me access to Galleries Club. Go figure.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.