Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Sonoma County (STS) Aircraft in Future Months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others

I haven't kept up on AS topics for a few years, so this is just a question for the more recently-experienced folks. I'm simply looking ahead because I have to coordinate time off with others in the office, so this isn't a gotta-make-reservations-now! issue.

In the fall I'll be visiting friends who happen to live about 10 minutes from STS, and right now the SEA-STS fares are very favorable. Right now it looks like all flights in and out of STS at that time are on E75s, which is great -- I'm pretty much at the limit for fitting in a 17" seat but 18.5" is no problem. Given scheduling history and STS politics, does it seem likely that this will be the aircraft of choice for some time? The former Q400 would absolutely not have been an option, and a CR7 would be quite uncomfortable for me. My alternate plan is F to OAK; my friends are more than willing to drive there to pick me up, but obviously STS is much more convenient.

At this point I'm just curious, but it's a strong curiosity! And yes, I do realize there will be at least one schedule change between now and then.

Last edited by dliesse; Mar 10, 2019 at 12:56 am Reason: Got carried away and left out an important sentence.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
STS has been transitioning away from Q400s for a while now. So much so in fact that I only see E75s to SEA, PDX, LAX, & SAN this spring and summer (after a cursory search). I think you're pretty safe to book now if there's a decent price. I haven't been flying out of STS myself because the prices are often $50-100 more than SFO. And winter.... Any one know if the jet bridges are installed yet?

ETA: also SNA

Last edited by DrAlex; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
You're good. STS - SAN/LAX/PDX/SEA are all E175 now.

Sure, there could always be a swap, but the odds are very low.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
As of 1/15/2019 there were no jet bridges @ STS.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dliesse
and a CR7 would be quite uncomfortable for me.
FYI, the CR7s were retired as the E175s came online. They only came back for a little while during the QX pilot shortage the other summer.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:28 pm

Any one know if the jet bridges are installed yet?

It going to be a long while before those get a chance to be installed...like sometime next decade
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Fall should be high season in wine country, so I wouldn't expect downgauging flights or lower fares.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we walked across the ramp to board on 27 Feb
JPat likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Thanks for the quick replies! Thought I'd heard about the CR7s going away, but haven't been keeping up. I live just off the approach to SEA (and my office is directly under it) so you'd think I would have noticed, but...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by dliesse
Thanks for the quick replies! Thought I'd heard about the CR7s going away, but haven't been keeping up. I live just off the approach to SEA (and my office is directly under it) so you'd think I would have noticed, but...
well, I’m pretty sure DL and UA regional affiliates still have ‘em here ...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:37 am

No DL CRJs in SEA for some time. This has been a purposeful strategy for more than a year. UA may occasionally send one and I have seen a Jazz one now and again. But overall, almost no RJs in SEA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
STS has been transitioning away from Q400s for a while now. So much so in fact that I only see E75s to SEA, PDX, LAX, & SAN this spring and summer (after a cursory search). I think you're pretty safe to book now if there's a decent price. I haven't been flying out of STS myself because the prices are often $50-100 more than SFO. And winter.... Any one know if the jet bridges are installed yet?

ETA: also SNA
For me STS v. SFO v. OAK are all about the same drive time so I usually go SFO/OAK but I know plenty of people north of me that now love STS despite the added cost. As accurately state the pricing is as much as $100 more on a flight but most hate taking the airporter to SFO, That is a LONG trip when you can be to STS in minutes and on return home in the same. Yes jet bridges would be nice in the winter but for some that is a small price to pay.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raymoland
No DL CRJs in SEA for some time. This has been a purposeful strategy for more than a year. UA may occasionally send one and I have seen a Jazz one now and again. But overall, almost no RJs in SEA.
no CRJ-200s, absolutely agree; reasonably sure I’ve seen CR7s/CR9s over the last few months ...
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.