Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS and WN Swapped Gates at SJC (10/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

AS and WN Swapped Gates at SJC (10/2019)

The speculation is that WN will take over "high" AS gates at the end of terminal B and AS will gain some of WN's gates adjacent to its gates (17 and 18?) at the beginning of B . The benefits will be no more long walks for connections and these swapped gates are closer to the Club at SJC.

This will happen in phases through 2019. Some of the gates will get new jet bridges. I think AS still operates out of one gate in terminal A (former VX?) and I don't know if it is affected by this.
Eurynom0s likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:20 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I love these gates. They're close to the club for departure, and they result in high baggage delivery times on arrival, which helps for the BSG!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
What does the club location at SEA have to do with the gates at SJC?
98103 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:15 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikexner
What does the club location at SEA have to do with the gates at SJC?
Fixed my typo.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Should make connections easier (not that SJC has a complex layout or anything, it's essentially a line with gates in sequential order) but if AS is giving up gates 26-30, I'll miss being able to use the gates right after terminal B security when I've been lucky enough to get assigned to them. However, if this will allow for AS to not have to randomly use gate 14 (technically in "Terminal A") this might make more sense for passengers in general.

Here's me wishing SJC's Terminal B had a few moving walkways as per the original plan, but that's honestly probably just me trying to find something to kvetch about.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
SJC Gate Changes

It looks like the Alaska/Southwest gate realignment has happened at SJC. Flew in from SEA 10/16 (AS 324) and at take off, we were coming into B27. Mid-flight changed to B20 which used to be a Southwest gate I believe. When I was walking to the exit, saw a crew taking down the Alaska signage at B27. When I flew out on 10/20, I left from gate B22. It appeared that Southwest now has gates B23-34ish (Not sure how many new gates they have added) and Alaska has B17-22. (maybe to B15...didn't check)
Eurynom0s and sltlyamusd like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:00 pm

B17 is the last gate in B.

-David
Klrduks likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Cool.

Will be heading thru next month ^
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It also gets uncomfortably warm by the very last couple of gates, so that'll be a nice change too.
dayone likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Am I the only one that does NOT like this change? I had it timed to 11 minutes from touchdown of the plane to being curbside when using the B27-30 gates at SJC and seated in F. Very rarely would I get the B18 gate or something. The superfast walk from B28 to the exit was great. The lack of moving walkways and the distance to the B18/17 gate can almost double my time to the exit.

SJC needs a moving walkway or an extra exit/security check point for the middle of A/B gates.

While I do fly to SJC at least monthly, I never change planes. For me this just all seems like a downside if I will for sure have a gate further than B28.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:31 pm

I landed in SJC at gate 18 (from EWR) last night and board an SEA flight this morning at gate 19. They are really far from the security check points...
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Am I the only one that does NOT like this change?
Nope; I suspect the annex gates will be used more by WN now. But at least the nightmare scenario of having to run from B35 to B19 or vice-versa won't happen.

Originally Posted by Fishingsnow
They are really far from the security check points
Trust me, it's still closer than B35!
Bellerina and Klrduks like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
A/B connector

Slightly off topic... two years ago, I flew Hainan J and was in the Club (terminal A); before boarding time, I tried to walk to Terminal B international gate (16 or 17, forgot the exact gate) where Hainan parked, and the A/B connecting door is closed.

I showed the one who guarded door (not sure TSA or airport police) my BP and they didn’t let me go through, along with other Hainan passengers. Hainan agent was also there but had no clue. Eventually many J passengers headed out of A, took the bus to B, re-cleared security, and walked to literal B Gates.

Not sure this is still happening of the door close between A/B.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
lonelygod, I fly in and out of SJC 5-6 times a year for the last 15+ years, including the now cancelled EUG to SJC flights, which usually left out of gate 13/14 I think and have never seen this. I wonder if they had some security issue in the B concourse and were clearing it to re-screen everyone.
Bellerina and kennycrudup like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Flew PDX-SJC into 18 and then out of SJC-SJD at 17. Nice to be by the club now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.