Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Search for International Awards That Only Show All Premium Segments? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond

Anyone seen a biz or first seat on an American international flight for redemption? Lots of "Mixed Cabin" with the international leg always in coach. Used to see first and biz all the time, now nothing.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
How recently are you talking about when you say "used to"? AA saver availability has been notoriously bad for a while, but every once in a while you manage to find a gem; about a year ago I found SEA-ORD-MIA-SCL in F and J for Labor Day weekend.
daninstl likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jinglish
How recently are you talking about when you say "used to"? AA saver availability has been notoriously bad for a while, but every once in a while you manage to find a gem; about a year ago I found SEA-ORD-MIA-SCL in F and J for Labor Day weekend.
Have to say it's been quite a while. But I'd say for the last year or so haven't been able to find anything, and I search almost daily.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I’ve flown the last few years on AA in premium: DUS-ORD in J (route dead), HKG-LAX-SEA (AA F, the Flagship Dining was cool), MEX-DFW-SEA.

It’s not easy but the awards do exist.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
People redeeming AA miles complain about lack of saver award availability, too. And they complain about AA's search engine showing mixed cabin awards.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got two J award seats together DFW-Madrid last Nov.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Scanning QF for CX awards often reveals an AA save F to Asia and confirmed for booking on AS. Just not interested in paying extra miles for an inferior product. My opinion of course.

James
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have Mia-mvd coming up later this month booked a couple weeks ago. Depends on the destination but business seems to be more available than economy. Closer in has better space sometimes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
I have been hoping for Biz on a MIA-UVF trip in May on AA. Nothing so far, have ExpertFlyer alerts set up since the flights were available. Wa wa waaaaaaaa.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For AA awards if you do not see a Partner Business column that means the international flight only has coach space available. The First Class with no business class column means domestic First is available but not intl F
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is tons of saver business space to LHR in the end of July - August timeframe. I'm on one of those flights (booked with AA miles) but I see the same saver space on the AS website.

Saver F seems to not exist though.

Remember that AA uses married segment logic so be sure to search end to end.

Also remember that if you book with AA miles, the cost in miles is the same, and you can connect through another partner for free. Of course, the downside is, no stopover.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I just booked GYE-MIA a few weeks out - with onward domestic connections on AA/AS.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Does anyone have an effective way to search for international flights using miles (with multiple legs) so that the search results on Alaska include only first class flights? Whenever I search, the short domestic connecting flight is first class but the international leg (the one I care about) is economy. Finding a first class international fare to book is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Even when I search 8-12 months out, I can't find the needles.

Customer Care on the phone tells me they have to do it the same way. It's a MASSIVE waste of time for and for them. But maybe a great way to keep me from ever using a million+ miles.

Does anyone have a better way?

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, and Alaska has no incentive to make it easier for you to spend your points. If you aren't looking for Cathay or LAN there is no reason to even call AS as they only have access to what you can find on the AS website.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bostonorr
....search for international flights using miles (with multiple legs) so that the search results on Alaska include only first class flights? Whenever I search, the short domestic connecting flight is first class but the international leg (the one I care about) is economy. Finding a first class international fare ..................
Where are you trying to go to?
When?
Many airlines/routes now do not have first class. Business class is all that is sold.
International business class on some airlines is now better than first class a decade ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.