Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does A Inventory Affect U Inventory?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Does A Inventory Affect U Inventory?

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I transferred points over to Alaska from AMEX (as you know it can take a week plus for a batch to clear) and there is now only 1 seat available at the set amount of points that I transferred over for a AS flight. (I'm guessing that is what the A or P inventory is about)

However there is also U inventory so I was thinking of using miles for the award ticket in J and then paying cash for a coach ticket and applying an GGU to the reservation.

The flight is currently F4 D4 P2 I0 U1 A1.

My question is if I purchase the award ticket first with points will the U inventory disappear? Or because the U inventory is solely upgrades it is not affected by an award or cash ticket purchased in J.

Thanks (and mods I'm sorry to have started a new thread, wasn't really sure which thread to post this)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Maybe.

It used to be A seemed to be a subset of U. But a year or two ago, A started to be released without U opening (at least that I noticed).

Now I'm finding A lots of times with no U. The opposite happens too, with U but no A. No discernable pattern has emerged that I can identify- but with F4, that's getting pretty low...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I would guess that with current inventory you're seeing, snagging that A space would also eliminate U. I'm not sure fully what the relationship is between U and A availability, but in my experience, there is some relation between them. I do imagine AS wants to make sure a few F seats remain available for cash purchase..
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Since when is AS an Amex transfer partner?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, AS isn’t partners with any of the credit cards that let you transfer points, other than Diner’s Club. Certainly not AMEX. Whaaaaa?

Also, since when does Alaska have award first (A) and paid business class (J)? Did I miss AS three-class lie-flat Dreamliners?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 1, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I was about to ask...how does that Amex to AS work...they aren't transfer partners, unless you are mixing AS with AA.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also, since when does Alaska have award first (A) and paid business class (J)? Did I miss AS three-class lie-flat Dreamliners?
I was assuming this was about booking a partner award, so the U space was needed for a positioning flight where A isn't open.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by jinglish
Sorry it was 4am when I was typing this. I meant to say from Marriott to Alaska. My SPG or now Bonvoy lets you transfer to Alaska.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yeah, AS isn’t partners with any of the credit cards that let you transfer points, other than Diner’s Club. Certainly not AMEX. Whaaaaa?

You are misinterpreting this, Alaska has (A) space that is used to redeem rewards. I.E. The booking that I am looking at is being redeemed thru Alaska but is a 2 leg trip with the 2nd leg being on AA. From what I have fooled around with on Expert Flyer In order to book one of these AS to AA flights when using Alaska Mileage Plan there needs to be A fare availability.

Mentioning J was me simply referring to Business Class because after all Domestic First is Business Class..... I'm sorry for the confusion it was 4am and I hadn't gone to sleep yet, late night working.... I'm not an A student in FT lingo
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
In my experience, YES. If the A is gone, U is gone. If U is gone, A is gone.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Sorry it was 4am when I was typing this. I meant to say from Marriott to Alaska. My SPG or now Bonvoy lets you transfer to Alaska.

You are misinterpreting this, Alaska has (A) space that is used to redeem rewards. I.E. The booking that I am looking at is being redeemed thru Alaska but is a 2 leg trip with the 2nd leg being on AA. From what I have fooled around with on Expert Flyer In order to book one of these AS to AA flights when using Alaska Mileage Plan there needs to be A fare availability.

Mentioning J was me simply referring to Business Class because after all Domestic First is Business Class..... I'm sorry for the confusion it was 4am and I hadn't gone to sleep yet, late night working.... I'm not an A student in FT lingo
Well, to be honest, you can book partner J with either A (award first) or W (award coach). If you’re an elite you could even stick the upgrade from W. So that is also a possibility if you’re worried about booking A making U disappear, book an elite’s ticket in W and take a chance on an upgrade coming though.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
In my experience, YES. If the A is gone, U is gone. If U is gone, A is gone.
Family member just booked yesterday. Went from F7U3A3 to F7U3A2. The two are not as linked as they used to be. Something has changed.

Again with F4, space is getting tight and I'm not sure how systems will behave.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Family member just booked yesterday. Went from F7U3A3 to F7U3A2. The two are not as linked as they used to be. Something has changed.

Again with F4, space is getting tight and I'm not sure how systems will behave.
I'm pretty sure A is still a subset of U though so U1 A1 = only 1 F seat available for award or upgrade. For all we know an additional U seat was released. I've never seen A1 U0

OP's least risky option is to pay cash vs tempting fate with space still being available when points post. That or chance it

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 2, 2019 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm pretty sure A is still a subset of U though so U1 A1 = only 1 F seat available for award or upgrade. For all we know an additional U seat was released. I've never seen A1 U0

OP's least risky option is to pay cash vs tempting fate with space still being available when points post. That or chance it
Recently I've seen lots of A1 or higher with U0.

It's no longer a subset that I can tell. RM has revised the rules.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Recently I've seen lots of A1 or higher with U0.

It's no longer a subset that I can tell. RM has revised the rules.

​​​​​​
wow its about time. I was tired of being on mixed cabin award and I lose out to a bunch of U seats. good way to get some points off the books over giving it away for free.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:59 pm

In my experience the two are independent. When I see something like A1U1 and I grab the U seat, it goes to A1U0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.