Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Cancels EK Award Tickets for My Friend [Possible Merge]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Cancels EK Award Tickets for My Friend [Possible Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
How much money does AS make by cancelling accounts on suspicion on violating T&C?
657120 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbd456
How much money does AS make by cancelling accounts on suspicion on violating T&C?
They make award ticket space more available for those who do follow the rules and such customers might be more willing to fly AS or to pay more to fly AS (less elastic demand) as a result. On the books, when they cancel an account, they would take away the value of those miles. They might or might not get a refund for a partner ticket cancelled at the last minute and if it were an award ticket on their own metal, they might or might not be able to sell the seat or permit someone to change to the flight at a profitable price.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
They make money on Mileage Sales and then seize them for violations.

James
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Aeroplan
FWIW, did anyone else note the original poster is a member since February of 2019 and has only one post (this post)?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Mileage accounts also show up as liabilities on the corporate balance sheet. As of December, 2017, Mileage Plan balances represented a net of $1.2 billion in liabilities and deferred revenue for Alaska. Though they acknowledge the accounting rules make this less than exact.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wonderlaw
FWIW, did anyone else note the original poster is a member since February of 2019 and has only one post (this post)?
Yes, if you notice my post (and Bob W's reply to it).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wonderlaw
Yes. That's what is called #onepostwonder on FT.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Closing accounts for fraud is not likely a profitable exercise for AS. Corporate security does not come cheap and there are branding concerns as well if it is done too much.

It is certainly good and important for those who obey the rules.

OP's story is simply lacking in detail and until (or if) he returns, this is just another rant where someone expected a ton of sympathy and didn't get any. If OP does return with useful detail, we'll see what it is.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm trying to understand how the OP could be "losing 2k" when the friend had to purchase a ticket for 1k. We don't know where OP is located, but an award ticket (one way?) from South Africa to JFK could look suspicious for a first redemption using AS miles given that there's no obvious connection between the passenger and the OP. If the passenger modified the ticket or actually booked it herself using OP's AS account, the verbiage about travel arrangers would seem to apply.

Frankly, it sounds to me like OP sold the award ticket to the "friend" for 2k. Just my opinion based on what I'm reading here.....
I’m trying to learn how to reply to peoples individual posts so please forgive me if I don’t do this properly. I absolutely did not sell my friend her ticket. She was traveling with me and had a flight home on South African airways already from JNB to JFK for the 5th but she thought she was flying home on the 7th and i hadn’t get been able to show her Cape Town- one of my fav cities in the world ! (And where I want to have a music event next year). So I offered to get her a mileage fix on Alaska directly from CT to JFK via DXB on the 7th. It only cost me 47,500 miles and about $76usd in taxes. The 2k reference I made was because Kimberly took an Uber to the airport in CT, where she was told by Emirates Alaska had cancelled her flight. She called me at the hotel and we conferences Alaska who had us on hold for over 20 min - because their customer care dept was not open until 7am PST & it was noon in Cape Town...Alaska had us on hold for so long that Emirates wasn’t even able to let her purchase a tix for the 1:15pm flight (5 min too late). She ubered back to the hotel. I had to extend the hotel another night (vs staying with my friend as planned in CT) because my whole day was consumed with fixing this (hotel alone in camps bay was $345) Kimberly purchased a tix for the 6:25pm flight which was almost $800. She ubered back to the airport at 3pm- but there were fires in Cape Town & the roads closed - so she literally couldn’t make the 30 min journey in 3 hours and therefore missed the 6pmish flight. Emirates charged her $200 to change it to the following day. So JUST for her tix, her change fee, her 5 Ubers & the hotel room - all of which were unnecessary if Alaska had provided what they confirmed - is close to 2k. This does NOT count all the time, effort and energy both Kimberly & I lost in this process or the hours of phone data on with Alaska. There’s no way I would bother to post this if I was selling a ticket and got busted. I’m not stupid. Kim & my social media shows all of our travels & we travel together often.

Im not sure if this will work, but I’m going to try to attach the actual conversation with Alask so everyone can hear what I heard. I’m still in shock... and Kimberly is still en route to JFK.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by A3queen
I’m trying to learn how to reply to peoples individual posts so please forgive me if I don’t do this properly. I absolutely did not sell my friend her ticket. She was traveling with me
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and glad you came back to answer follow-up questions! If she was traveling with you, that puts this in a very different category than the mileage brokers we encounter fairly routinely on this forum.

As you reply to others, be sure to answer one key question: how long had your Alaska Mileage Plan account been open, and how had you acquired your miles? One common issue reported here that could be honest is a recently-opened account which relies mostly or entirely on purchased miles; Alaska and all other airlines (sensibly) view those kinds of accounts with suspicion.

There’s no way I would bother to post this if I was selling a ticket and got busted. I’m not stupid. Kim & my social media shows all of our travels & we travel together often.

Im not sure if this will work, but I’m going to try to attach the actual conversation with Alask so everyone can hear what I heard. I’m still in shock... and Kimberly is still en route to JFK.
Glad you wouldn't do that. But understand the skepticism from regulars in this forum: posts like yours often do in fact turn out to be mileage brokers (occasionally -- though not typically -- even unintentional mileage brokers who didn't read the terms and conditions to know that selling miles is an absolute no-no) who got busted.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Good to learn more about this - thanks for sharing.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nonetheless, OP still does not explain how all of this ended with AS.

The multiple Ubers, extra night in a hotel, and the fact that the friend no showed on the cash ticket she purchased (even if the no show was for a good reason), has nothing to do with the AS issue and the redemption ticket.

So, the question to OP is, what happened or is happening with AS?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Flyertalk was once a friendly place that welcomed new members looking for help and advice. It’s even in the rules.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#welcoming

Now just a few posts into the thread they get accused of fraudulent behavior. Quite sad.

OP - Welcome to Flyertalk. Regarding posting the recording you have, I would carefully review the laws applicable in your state. I am not a lawyer and can’t offer advice.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
They make money on Mileage Sales and then seize them for violations.

James
Alleged violations. And by that I don’t mean that they intentionally seize miles they sold that were not actually used in violation of the T&C, but I doubt that AS’s security department is infallible... and they (and other airlines) are apparently quite hostile or at least customer unfriendly and make it extremely difficult for customers to deal with such cases. It concerns me when I book my wife with miles from my account for solo trips as she has a different last name...

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska corp security keeps track of IP addresses (including those of VPNs) which is how they are nailing the brokers. Could be the OP used a VPN service that is also used by a broker & her record got flagged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.