Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska upgraded an non-revenue employee before me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska upgraded an non-revenue employee before me

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by lg20
http://vi.rtuo.us/forum/docs/contrac...-full-text.pdf

This is the 2013 TA, but it should be similar to the current contract.
Look at section 8. Specifically 8-1.
  1. Seating Accommodations
    Pilots, when deadheading on any flight under order of the Company, shall be furnished positive space cabin transportation as follows:
    1. Deadhead Over Five Hours:
      1. First class seating will be mandatory when any one (1) deadhead flight segment is scheduled to exceed five hours (5:00) block-to-block.
      2. First class seating will also be mandatory for all flight segments when a combination of consecutive deadhead segments is scheduled to exceed five hours (5:00) block to block and a flying segment immediately follows the deadhead segments within the same duty period.
    2. Deadhead Five Hours or Less: Seating will be provided in the following order with respect to deadheads of five hours (5:00) or less, unless described in A.1 above.
      1. First Class, if available.

(1) FirstClassAvailability:Firstclassseatingshallbe made available to deadheading pilots provided first class revenue passengers are not displaced.

(2) Priority:Priorityforfirstclassseatingamong deadheading pilots shall be granted by rank (e.g., Captain, First Officer, etc.).
      2. If First Class is not available then a reclining exit row aisle or window seat (preference stated by pilot), if available.
      3. If neither a First Class nor exit row seat is available, then a reclining aisle or window seat, (preference stated by pilot), forward of the over wing exit row will be assigned.
      4. If a pilot does not have a flying segment following his deadhead segment in the same duty period, then seating will be based on availability if seating per paragraph 8. A.2.a-c above would cause displacement of passengers.
My interpretation of the bolded part would be people who actually paid for first class. Not economy revenue passengers who upgraded to first class. I would never consider myself a "first class revenue passenger" if I was upgraded simply because I never spent the "revenue" for first class.

I see others disagree with my interpretation. Although I guess the the second part...that the passenger shall not be "displaced" is also instructive. In the situation in the described by the OP, the OP was not "displaced", he was never in the first class seat. So in other words, the rules were followed if it was a deadhead flight. They gave him a first class seat and no one was displaced from that seat.

Last edited by HIFlya; Feb 8, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HIFlya
My interpretation of the bolded part would be people who actually paid for first class. Not economy revenue passengers who upgraded to first class. I would never consider myself a "first class revenue passenger" if I was upgraded simply because I never spent the "revenue" for first class.
Revenue passenger simply means that one is not a nonrev.
PVDtoDEL and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
And most execs are only promised 'general' economy.... not even premium class. Here is a sample authorization from Alaska...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Your interpretation is correct. The ALPA contract specifically refers to "first class revenue passengers," meaning someone who paid for a first class ticket, either with money or using miles for the entire ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Your interpretation is correct. The ALPA contract specifically refers to "first class revenue passengers," meaning someone who paid for a first class ticket, either with money or using miles for the entire ticket.
Good to know that at least award redemptions are protected. OTOH, if I'd never been provided an F seat, I'm never counting on one. Too many possibilities that would prevent the upgrade. Somewhat different story if I'd held a confirmed upgrade for months using a GGU and was displaced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.