Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Status Match (Formerly Challenge) - 2019 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Status Match (Formerly Challenge) - 2019 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: SPG Ambassdor, Marriort Plat, IHG Spire, Hhonor Diamond, BW Diamond Select, LQ Elite, Hotels Gold
Originally Posted by wolverine11
Both the wife and I applied on 10/1. My status was updated to Gold 75K on 10/8 and my existing itineraries were all upgraded to Premium class early morning on 10/9. Wife just received her Gold yesterday on 10/10. Waiting for her itineraries to reflect status.

No email for either of us yet. We'd love to know if this is truly going to be a 90-day status challenge as both of our statuses are reflecting 12/31/2020 expiration!

Yeah I wonder the same thing since i just did the match last week and now status is reflecting 12/2020 expiration date.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What fare class did your wife purchase for her itineraries? As an MVPG she would only be upgraded immediately to Premium on K fares or higher. You as an MVPG75K are upgraded immediately on any non Saver fare.

If you are traveling together and you are both in the same PNR, your status will extend to her and you would both be upgraded. For future reservations you can select Premium class seating for no charge.

James
Thank you for pointing that out. All her flights are work trips on different PNRs. I took a closer look at her itineraries and only one flight qualifies as an L fare and she's able to select Premium seats for free on that one.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:53 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Just as a data point, I emailed Alaska after requesting my status match and asked to match my United Platinum to MVP Gold instead of MVP Gold 75k. About 8 days after completing the request I logged in and noticed I now have MVP Gold Status.

The 3-month window for meeting the challenge begins the day your status request is approved.

Last edited by danielflyer; Oct 15, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Just as a data point, I emailed Alaska after requesting my status match and asked to match my United Platinum to MVP Gold instead of MVP Gold 75k. About 8 days after completing the request I logged in and noticed I now have MVP Gold Status.

The 3-month window for meeting the challenge begins the day your status request is approved.
Thanks for the data point. I'm thinking of doing the challenge but I have a short trip planned for 01 Nov and a trip to Hawaii that returns on 27 Jan. A tight 90 day window which means I'd need to time the challenge start date perfectly.
I was also considering timing my challenge after July to make 2021 status as well. I'll be 1K on United through 2020 but don't have any flights planned with them at this point. I was thinking of taking a trip or two to Asia next year just to inflate my YTD mileage flown on United to increase my likelihood of getting matched to 75K in July.

Now with the new elite qualifications for United, how will Alaska benchmark miles flown year to date when United couldn't care less about miles flown and only shows PQPs (read: $$$s) and total segments for year to date accruals?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by therossinator
Now with the new elite qualifications for United, how will Alaska benchmark miles flown year to date when United couldn't care less about miles flown and only shows PQPs (read: $$$s) and total segments for year to date accruals?
They know what the earning requirements are, and all they're really verifying is that you earned the status by buying tickets, rather than through MM status, were gifted it, or did a challenge and only flew a little after completing the challenge, or something similar. The effective cpm requirements (if you just convert from 2019 mileage requirements to 2020 spend requirements) are much more than AS is generally expecting for their status levels, so they'd probably be happy to match someone who made 1K by flying less than 100,000 miles and spent 18 cpm doing it.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:38 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by therossinator
Thanks for the data point. I'm thinking of doing the challenge but I have a short trip planned for 01 Nov and a trip to Hawaii that returns on 27 Jan. A tight 90 day window which means I'd need to time the challenge start date perfectly.
I was also considering timing my challenge after July to make 2021 status as well. I'll be 1K on United through 2020 but don't have any flights planned with them at this point. I was thinking of taking a trip or two to Asia next year just to inflate my YTD mileage flown on United to increase my likelihood of getting matched to 75K in July.

I think Alaska will continue with its current customer-friendly strategy, but wouldn't be surprised to see them require more flights on Alaska to requalify going forward. Alaska may have decided internally to be less welcoming to members who bank miles on partners but rarely fly AS metal.

Overall I wouldn't expect to see many negative changes, though.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by chrisl137
They know what the earning requirements are, and all they're really verifying is that you earned the status by buying tickets, rather than through MM status, were gifted it, or did a challenge and only flew a little after completing the challenge, or something similar. The effective cpm requirements (if you just convert from 2019 mileage requirements to 2020 spend requirements) are much more than AS is generally expecting for their status levels, so they'd probably be happy to match someone who made 1K by flying less than 100,000 miles and spent 18 cpm doing it.
Your assessment sounds pretty optomistic. I find it odd that Alaska wants to see YDT miles if it's simply to verify that status was earned and not matched/given, when status which I'm requesting to be matched is earned from flights one year prior. If I were to apply after July 2020, I'd have 0 YDT miles (supposing I were even able to pull that info from UA). If I were AS, I wouldn't match me to 75k, but maybe they're more customer friendly than I am.

Last edited by therossinator; Oct 16, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Just to note, I *still* haven't received any email from AS about the whole challenge, start/end date, etc. and still have a 12/31/2020 expiring MVP Gold 75K membership on the website and the App (downloaded to Apple Wallet too)...
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:47 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by hamburgler
Just to note, I *still* haven't received any email from AS about the whole challenge, start/end date, etc. and still have a 12/31/2020 expiring MVP Gold 75K membership on the website and the App (downloaded to Apple Wallet too)...
I never got a formal confirmation. However I called in and was told the date from which the challenge applied-- it was October 10 for me.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Just got the confirmation email from AS after matching on Oct 1. They just confirmed to me that if you match to their highest tier and don't meet those requirements, you will not fall down to the tier that you did meet (e.g. if you match to 75k and only fly to 10k, they won't give you Gold)
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by h4xdaplanet
Just got the confirmation email from AS after matching on Oct 1. They just confirmed to me that if you match to their highest tier and don't meet those requirements, you will not fall down to the tier that you did meet (e.g. if you match to 75k and only fly to 10k, they won't give you Gold)
That seems really lame. I was going to try for 75k, but with the recent no notice devaluations I'll just burn the rest of my miles.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Finally received the status match email today. I have until 1/31/2020 to hit 20,000 miles. Looks like I will need to do some old-fashioned mileage runs.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wolverine11
Finally received the status match email today. I have until 1/31/2020 to hit 20,000 miles. Looks like I will need to do some old-fashioned mileage runs.
Get the BofA AS CC and use the Companion Certificate to take a friend, SO. Purchase your AS tickets to cover the minimum spend & earn 3× RDM for each $ spent. You will both earn EQM.

Play around with multi-city search to construct convoluted itineraries. If you received GGUs, watch for segments with U availability for 2. Since the companion fares is always $99+ taxes, you are effectively getting two eligible fares for one upfare. Multiple segments with <= 4 hours connection time are also upgraded with one GGU each with U availability.

We have done two "mini" vacations each racking up over 16K+ EQM each. Flying PHX-SJO via SEA-ANC-HNL-SEA-LAX is a lot of Flying for Fun.

Jaes
wolverine11 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:15 pm

Wasn't going to chase the 75k, but since the coast-2-coast promo is going on I just booked the rest of my flights and will make 20k easily by end of Jan 2020. Just too bad that one flight in Jan won't get the double miles.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by h4xdaplanet
They just confirmed to me that if you match to their highest tier and don't meet those requirements, you will not fall down to the tier that you did meet (e.g. if you match to 75k and only fly to 10k, they won't give you Gold)
Well that's annoying, since it doesn't give you the option of which tier to match to when you setup the match.. only asks your current status. Did they offer you the chance to downgrade your match?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.