Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Status Match (Formerly Challenge) - 2019 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Status Match (Formerly Challenge) - 2019 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
How sneaky of them to change from a status match to a status challenge right in time for October 1. I think status with AS is still more valuable than any other airline.
Scroll up a few posts to see a case study in why AS is now asking for people to actually do some flying to retain status past a few months, instead of just "hey, here's a full year+, we'll trust you to actually do the thing you say you want to do, shift business to us". Multiply that by FT and bloggers having pointed out a generous status match policy.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

As if by magic, my favorite steal-and-paste blogger has posted an article about the new status match program. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it was first reported here yesterday.
safari ari likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Scroll up a few posts to see a case study in why AS is now asking for people to actually do some flying to retain status past a few months, instead of just "hey, here's a full year+, we'll trust you to actually do the thing you say you want to do, shift business to us". Multiply that by FT and bloggers having pointed out a generous status match policy.
Usually how all good things come to die.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I am so happy they put requirement to fly alaksa 20k for top tier. It was getting out of control. Great job and I applaud it
rune87 and Finkface like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:25 pm

I applied for the challenge even though I know I wont hit the 20K to maintain 75k through 2020. I'll still get to gold, but the extra miles for my eoy BA business class and CX first class flights makes it worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
I applied for the challenge even though I know I wont hit the 20K to maintain 75k through 2020. I'll still get to gold, but the extra miles for my eoy BA business class and CX first class flights makes it worth it.
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Given this is a brand new policy for AS, I doubt many of us will be able to give you accurate info yet. Would be good to ask AS about that when (or before) applying, and I'm sure your notification that status match has been granted will provide you with that detail. I'd venture to guess that meeting one of the lower thresholds in the challenge would permit you to earn/keep that level, but that's just a guess.
In order to keep your status after the initial three-month period, you’ll need to fly on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by Alaska Airlines, Horizon or SkyWest during that initial three-month period. Codeshare flights operated by other airlines, flights on Alaska Global Partners, and award travel do not count toward keeping your status.
Emphasis added. Enjoy your 10k flying the Eskimo.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:55 pm

Any idea if I need to do the challenge if I applied for a status match in September? Applied 9/19 but haven't heard back on approval.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:15 pm

Emphasis added. Enjoy your 10k flying the Eskimo.
The terms indicate that the outright match to 75k will work for the initial 3 months so will get the extra miles anyways. I will fly 10k on AS during that so will get Gold in 2020.
If partner miles counted I would be well over the 20k needed for 75k :-)
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
The terms indicate that the outright match to 75k will work for the initial 3 months so will get the extra miles anyways. I will fly 10k on AS during that so will get Gold in 2020.
If partner miles counted I would be well over the 20k needed for 75k :-)
It's a guess that if you ask for 75K and don't make the 20k, but make the 10k for Gold, you get MVPG. You might not, because the public T&C don't say that. I'd probably want it confirmed.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

It's a guess that if you ask for 75K and don't make the 20k, but make the 10k for Gold, you get MVPG. You might not, because the public T&C don't say that. I'd probably want it confirmed.
True. No loss either way. I am already booked to fly the 10k on AS. So the status match is really to help me get that extra bit of miles from my remaining premium cabin flights on AS partners.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:21 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by jskang07
Any idea if I need to do the challenge if I applied for a status match in September? Applied 9/19 but haven't heard back on approval.
Just wanted to follow up. I got matched today to MVP Gold from AA Plat without having to do the challenge. And it looks like status is valid until end of next year.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Glad AS is restricting its status match program.

Wish they eliminated G75K from this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Glad AS is restricting its status match program.

Wish they eliminated G75K from this.
I don't really have an issue with that. Matching to G75K is really MVPG with 15K towards G75K; the remaining 20K needs to be earned on revenue AS flights. I think that is smart. It is imposing a requirement to fly x AS segments without the requirement to do so when earning it organically.

I think eliminating 75K altogether would be counterproductive to gaining new customers who may become loyal once they have held the status. It is better than just handing it out.

James
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jskang07
Just wanted to follow up. I got matched today to MVP Gold from AA Plat without having to do the challenge. And it looks like status is valid until end of next year.
Did you get an email from Alaska? I matched on Oct 1 but do not have an email yet from Alaska, but am showing the status thru Dec 31 2020
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA1K
i'll say this...i status matched from UA plat to 75K 4 years ago. this year, i'm doing everything in my power to get back to 75K because the benefits are simply amazing. i should hit 75K by mid-november. so in essence, getting the status match to 75K proved to me i had to go for it.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.