Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Strategy for Hawaii flight, MVP status & companion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategy for Hawaii flight, MVP status & companion?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to bring up a 2 month old thread but question is similar. MVP Gold flying SJC-HNL on a full Y fare in about 3.5 weeks (House hunting trip) using companion pass for my wife. She shows as full Y also. No U space available at time of booking. Both tickets show waitlisted for First, already have PC seats. Where do we fit into the upgrade priority? First time using my companion pass for the AS credit card.

Another question. Are MVP Gold on full Y fares given any priority over 75K's on much lower fares? Flying Monday SJC-SEA-DEN on a full Y fare for work. Booked last minute (last night). Show waitlisted.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are eligible for instant upgrade. You were added to the queue when you bought the ticket. Everyone else (on non-instant-upgrade-eligible fares) is added when their upgrade window opens.

You are behind all the 75ks who bought eligible fares, including the ones who bought after you (they have a different queue). You are also behind all the golds or mvps who bought eligible fares before you.

Once you are 5 days before the trip, all the 75ks will get added to the 75k queue -- they will also be ahead of you (again, on the 75k queue). So it's better for you if U space opens more than 5 days out.
allset2travel likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 19, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Your best shot at upgrades are GGUs. IME MVP is pretty much useless on AS if you are using a BofA $99 ticket as you both have to fly in the same cabin. So the only way to upgrade is (1) GGU or (2) at the airport counter if they are offering buy-ups (or TOD upgrades as we say on UA). The MVP would get a free upgrade and the companion would pay the fee. But Hawaii is very popular for upgrades so this strategy is a long shot as I find the cabin is often full by the time I arrive at airport. We have done both 1 and 2 successfully.

In your case this isn't going to work because your kids are the companions. So you would have to upgrade one child and one adult as required by companion fare.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
But Hawaii is very popular for upgrades so this strategy is a long shot as I find the cabin is often full by the time I arrive at airport.
Really? I don't know about SJC but flying HNL and OGG to/from SFO and OAK, as MVP, I was 3/4 on upgrades, and the one time I missed I was 1st on the list.

This represents about half my upgrades for last year. I always figured it was extremely elite-light.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Really? I don't know about SJC but flying HNL and OGG to/from SFO and OAK, as MVP, I was 3/4 on upgrades, and the one time I missed I was 1st on the list.

This represents about half my upgrades for last year. I always figured it was extremely elite-light.
It is elite light but many people are happy to pay $100 to upgrade a 5-hour flight. So IME the buy-ups disappear fast. Remember the MVP upgrade only covers one person (this is where MVP-G becomes much more useful).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It is elite light but many people are happy to pay $100 to upgrade a 5-hour flight. So IME the buy-ups disappear fast. Remember the MVP upgrade only covers one person (this is where MVP-G becomes much more useful).
$199 now, not $100. I grabbed two for my parents last week as soon as the blue F showed up. I was watching like a hawk.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
$199 now, not $100. I grabbed two for my parents last week as soon as the blue F showed up. I was watching like a hawk.
It depends on the flight distance. Hawaii was $150 prior to the last fee changes.

Paid upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

Pay for an upgrade table One-Way by trip miles.

Price

*0 - 450 $29
451 - 700 $49
701 - 1,400 $99
1,401 - 2,100 $149
2,101 and above $199

*Taxes apply

James
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It depends on the flight distance. Hawaii was $150 prior to the last fee changes.

Paid upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

Pay for an upgrade table One-Way by trip miles.

Price

*0 - 450 $29
451 - 700 $49
701 - 1,400 $99
1,401 - 2,100 $149
2,101 and above $199

*Taxes apply

James
Yes I was saying Hawaii upgrades are now $199, not $100. There are no Hawaii flights under 2,101 miles
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17

Yes I was saying Hawaii upgrades are now $199, not $100. There are no Hawaii flights under 2,101 miles
Yes, I understand. However upgrades were $150 prior, not $100.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Yep; sadly, you won’t be able to get upgraded. When MVPs are traveling with someone else, they can request to split the reservation to allow for upgrades, but that’s not an option when using a companion certificate. Even with two in the reservation, she should at least have access to the elite seats, so hopefully you can at least grab exit row seating. You’ll also get the two free checked bags benefit for both her and the child on the same reservation
Has anyone ever had luck with the airport being able to do the above?
2 of us both MVP using companion certificate just found out today
no premium or first class automatic upgrades
Kinda a weird quirk
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - complimentary upgrade in any Hawaiian routes is always difficult, regardless of airlines.

As a MVP, OP should never expect any upgrades at all, unless OP is a MVP 75k or pays for the upgrade.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - complimentary upgrade in any Hawaiian routes is always difficult, regardless of airlines.

As a MVP, OP should never expect any upgrades at all, unless OP is a MVP 75k or pays for the upgrade.
This really depends on where the other end of the trip is. Flying Hawaii to/from SFO and OAK I was 3/4 on upgrades as a lowly MVP last year. And the time that I missed, I was dead last on the list and the only person to not get upgraded!

Flying to/from SEA would be a different story, I'm sure.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This really depends on where the other end of the trip is. Flying Hawaii to/from SFO and OAK I was 3/4 on upgrades as a lowly MVP last year. And the time that I missed, I was dead last on the list and the only person to not get upgraded!

Flying to/from SEA would be a different story, I'm sure.
I was pleasantly surprised to have myself and companion upgraded on PDX-HNL this January (as MVPG). It does happen.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by williwaw

I was pleasantly surprised to have myself and companion upgraded on PDX-HNL this January (as MVPG). It does happen.
We were upgraded on our 9/2018 SFO-HNL leg, and even scored seats next to one another. Both the AS cardholder and the pass recipient were MVP at the time.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.