Search

Allegiant (G4) New Route BLI-ANC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
BLI has 737 service to SEA and OGG.
Yes, I mean to say when QX flies to BLI it’s a Q400, not an E75.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BLI is a Q400 only QX station right now, no? And using a E-175 means ANC needs to be able to handle them. The last time AS tried the Q400s in Alaska it flopped, are the E175s going to work better?

(Too bad AS is so Boeing-hidebound, those A220s DL has look sweet and just the right size for certain markets.)

Also, hard for me to believe AS can sustain BLI-ANC when they can't even sustain BLI-PDX or BLI-LAS.
BLI (not just the airport) is heavily dependant on the Canadian Market. When the CAD weakens towards the USD, fewer Canadians travel across the border as the bargains dry up. The $89 BLI-LAS fares were a bargain when the dollar was closer to parity. With WS flying from YVR & YXX it is often just as cheap, if not cheaper and for many, a lot less inconvenient than crossing an international boundary. . BLI-Hawaii is still relatively good comparatively. At the long-term parking losts at BLI British Columbia License plates still outnumber Washington State license Plates but I believe the spread has diminished.

James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Legend717
While I sort of get where you're coming from, there's actually a LOT of seasonal competition between the PNW and ANC.
Delta increases their fflights.
JetBlew shows up.
American shows up.
Sun Country picks a random new city every year to fly to ANC from.
Air Canada.

Frontier used to come in.
Virgin American tried it once.

And prices get pretty good during those months. I've seen $79 pretty frequently ANC-SEA, and roughly the same for ANC-PDX.
Yeah you are right! I have also seen more options on the SEA to ANC route last year. I actually checked out DL's schedule and pricing last month when I had to go up to Anchorage, but decided to stick with AS because of schedule (pricing was pretty much the same). I would have never looked up other airlines' schedule and pricing on this route a few years ago, but the MP has de-valued so much recently that I am open to any alternatives even on a AS-dominated route.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yes, I mean to say when QX flies to BLI it’s a Q400, not an E75.
E75 is about the only thing the AS group hasn't sent to BLI. Q400, 737s and even OO CRJs have showed up at one point or another.

G4 don't offer connections, so I don't really see how this flight works for the leisure market (If it were part of an ANC-BLI-LAS flight it might make more sense); this is a pure O&D play. If you used it for a cruise, now you've just arrived at Canada Place, but your car is at BLI which isn't at all convenient. Alaska will respond, although I suspect it will be from PAE not BLI.

And in a very weird way, the Saudi's indirect apology for Khashoggi have ensured that AS are unlikely expand at BLI for the next little while (Low oil price = lower Canadian Dollar = lower demand @ BLI).

AS and G4 still have a big advantage (due to US flying across the border taxes - vs driving for free) operating into US (only) leisure markets from BLI vs their competition trying to do the same thing from YVR or YXX. So, I don't expect the Canadian ULCCs to really put that much of a dent into G4's base market of LAS/PSP/IWA/SAN. ANC just strikes me as a very very different market - time will tell.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I thought Anchorage and beyond is a big tourist destination in the summer months, and G4 could be trying to get a piece of that seasonal leisure market, assuming there are Canadians who want to visit AK?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I thought Anchorage and beyond is a big tourist destination in the summer months, and G4 could be trying to get a piece of that seasonal leisure market, assuming there are Canadians who want to visit AK?
Other than cruises, Canadians don't visit Alaska, they go to the Yukon/NWT. We have plenty of frozen tundra of our own.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Well going the other way if I were to visit Vancouver or other parts in BC/AB starting closer to the border would be great, but then I priced a rental car out of Bellingham vs Seattle. At 2x the going daily rate it's still cheaper to fly to Seattle :
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CZBB
G4 don't offer connections, so I don't really see how this flight works for the leisure market (If it were part of an ANC-BLI-LAS flight it might make more sense); this is a pure O&D play.
I'm surprised there's any play at all here; G4 couldn't make HAWAII work. Hawaii is a magnitude better tourist destination than Alaska. There's no YVR service by AC, so I don't think this is meant to draw from the Vancouver area. This feels like one of G4's random "throw it against a wall and we'll cut the route in 3 months if it doesn't stick" kind of deals.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AC does have daily summer service on YVR-ANC. AS used to.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Other than cruises, Canadians don't visit Alaska, they go to the Yukon/NWT. We have plenty of frozen tundra of our own.
I have visited ANC on more than one occassion; yet I have not been North of 60 in Canada. Given AS & G4 I would fly AS every time, regardless of final price.

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
With all due respect, Alaska is quite a bit more varied than the Yukon (haven’t been to NWT but I’d assume it’s the same story). It also has a much better tourist infrastructure. I see plenty of B.C. license plates running around Alaska in the summer months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.